• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm new to the idea of OC. Advice?

chaseget83

Morning to all and thanks in advance for any responses. Like the title says, I'm new to the idea of OC. I have owned and carried guns for years but only in my truck and while at the farm. I live in St Louis County and travel around quite a bit throughout my work week and personal time. My main question, before I go too far away from the point is, does anyone know what the law says about OC in STL county? Or what, if any, are the consequences of being seen by LE OCing in a city that doesnt allow it? Again thanks for any info you all might be willing to share.

OC for ME

Welcome.

First question to you: do you have a CCW endorsement? If not, get one ASAP.

Then, I would not OC anywhere in STL until SAPA gets passed into law, if it does get passed into law that is.

RSMo 21.750.3 provides for any political subdivision to "ban" OC and thus if your gat is viewed you can be arrested. So, when in STL county (IMO), with the patchwork of towns who do and do not ban OC, I would cover the gat. You literally could walk 10 paces, and transit from one town (OC OK) to another (OC not OK) without even realizing it.

Read and know RSMo 571 for a start. Really know the CCW sections. then, while sitting in your PJs at home research which towns in your normal area of travel is OC friendly and which towns are OC hostile. Once you cross the river, and I'm not talking about ILL-inois, then the research is easier and the number of hostile towns rapidly diminishes. St Charles is reported to be very "OC friendly" (code for the cops know the law).

As an example of the night and day attitudes from STL to the sticks, across the The Big Muddy, the Troy mayor flat out told the city council that they will not ban OC using RSMo 21.750.3.

Lastly, do not go armed into ILL-inois, ever. I would go as far as stating that ILL-inois is to be avoided for every reason or for no reason.

Good luck.

chaseget83

Hey thanks for the welcome and the fast response. I have a spot filled for myself and my wife to get ccw under way the first week of March but quick side question, do I need that to carry in my truck or on private property? I definitely will read up on the suggested info and attempt to better inform myself. Thanks again for the help.

OC for ME

Google is your friend, or yahoo, Bing.....whoever.....research all answers to your questions yourself. I don't get paid to practice law, let alone get it right the first time.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000030.HTM

Skip subsection two, that is the LE exemptions.....phht.

Subsection three is the money section if you do not have a endorsement.

Subsection four is the CCW holder exemptions.

Read, re-read, and read again the below.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000107.HTM

The where you cannot go on your endorsement.

You can always "carry" on your own property. Be 21 or older and you are good to go. We "change hearts and minds".....phht.....by being scrupulous in our daily comings and goings with regards to the law. I believe that the only folks we need to "change the minds" of are cops. They are limited, constrained, and sometimes restrained. In STL county, not so much. I have never met a thug cop while OC. I have had only two encounters. One was two minutes and I had the burden to display my endorsement. The second encounter was about 10 minutes cuz I was messing with the newbie cop and had nothing better to do.....he started it and I had his Sgt. end it. He is a good guy and a professional cop.....now.

I have not been disarmed for anyone's safety. Every cop shop around that I know are trained and professional. Though, if you are going west on 70, set your cruise control to 69 and not 0.1 MPH higher.....I'll let other folks fill in the gaps.

Now, for the "political" climate.

I have kept a low profile on the OC front for some time now, because there is not a 2A supporting politician in Jeff City that will not dump their 2A support in a New York minute if bad press pops up because a OCer asserts their rights too much. They are all cowards on that score. If you are contacted by LE as a result of you being armed, make sure you are armed lawful, and make the contact as brief as possible. Do not compromise your principles in the name of expediency. I have the cop call a supervisor. I firmly, yet, politely assert my rights. Reciting RSMo usually gets them to at least give up and leave you alone.

MO is a one party consent state. You and your wife must be able to record your activities, I use a Sony audio recorder, from the time you walk out the front door, until you return home.
My advice? Treat being armed like you treat having two cell phones on your hip. Most folks won't even know, or notice. Be mindful of the property owners wishes and respect their property rights.

OK, I'm done. Ask questions anytime and I am by no means the brightest bulb on the tree. Others will be more than glad to provide that which I may not be able to provide.

Oramac

OC for ME pretty much covered everything I was going to say.

I will echo one point: highly highly highly recommend keeping a low profile for the immediate future (6-9 months) until the Legislative session and Veto session are over. Preferably just CC during this time. It pains me to say it, but with the current political climate, while OC may be legal, it is not necessarily advisable.

chaseget83

I have made it a point to read those legal documents and re read them in order to further my education on the subject. Your advice has been very helpful and will be weighed heavily in my carry plans. Now if I may, I will further expose my ignorance on these matters by asking my next question. What is SAPA that I keep seeing referenced in these forums? I have Googled it and cane up sorry on definition. So sorry if this is a stupid question but I am finding myself increasingly interested in learning add much as I can. Thanks again.

kcgunfan

I want to make something very clear. To be entitled to the protections offered by a CCW endorsement, you have to be carrying concealed. If you are open carrying, you are just as guilty as if you have no endorsement.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oramac

I have made it a point to read those legal documents and re read them in order to further my education on the subject. Your advice has been very helpful and will be weighed heavily in my carry plans. Now if I may, I will further expose my ignorance on these matters by asking my next question. What is SAPA that I keep seeing referenced in these forums? I have Googled it and cane up sorry on definition. So sorry if this is a stupid question but I am finding myself increasingly interested in learning add much as I can. Thanks again.

SAPA is short for "Second Amendment Preservation Act", and is a piece of legislation currently going through the MO legislature. Part of the bill is statewide OC with a CC permit. This is among many reasons for advising caution while carrying in MO, especially OC.

chaseget83

I do not open carry or concealed carry as of yet. I am trying to educate myself so that when I decide to carry I can be smart and safe while doing so. I have found that many areas require the permit regardless of how you choose to carry. Could be wrong about that just my interpretation so far. Thanks for the input.

chaseget83

Oh okay thanks for the clarification on that. Definitely a "use caution" situation. I imagine bad press during a time like this could be very detrimental to the desired outcome. Even one person messing up could throw a wrench in the gears.

kcgunfan

Not many, just a small percentage of the state requires a CCW to OC. But to CCW absolutely requires an endorsement.

chaseget83

Yeah I knew that and I will be getting legal first of next month. I'm still unsure though about carrying in my truck. What are the rules on that?

kcgunfan

If you are over 21, your firearm is concealable (under 15 inches?), and you can otherwise possess it. You may carry it however it pleases you.

chaseget83

Yes to all on that. Good deal. Very grateful for all this info everyone. And of coarse any other input related please share.

Redbaron007

OC for ME pretty much covered everything I was going to say.

I will echo one point: highly highly highly recommend keeping a low profile for the immediate future (6-9 months) until the Legislative session and Veto session are over. Preferably just CC during this time. It pains me to say it, but with the current political climate, while OC may be legal, it is not necessarily advisable.

^^^
This is important. I appreciate your understanding regarding this chaseget83. It is by no means an attempt to infringe on your rights.....but this piece of legislation is important to get passed. There are 'republican' politicians who are a little nervous over the SAPA. One is down here with me....I'm a little disappointed in him. I still have yet to speak with him as to why he switched sides. So any unwanted publicity could effect some of these guys. And it is not below the opposition to set something up to garner the needed publicity to discourage some of the more nervous Nillies.

Appreciate your support and understanding. :)

chaseget83

Though I dont know all the current issues and legal situations, I do recognize that this is fragile ground and very important that all goes well. I will continue to carry in a legal manner as always. I have no problem keeping a low profile. I appreciate how helpful and informative you guys have been, I know it must be a little frustrating dealing with people who have little knowledge on a subject that is so important.

OC for ME

Frustration sets in when sage advice, founded on hard won experience, is ignored. Never ever hesitate to ask a question.....and never ever believe what you read or hear on the Interwebz.