Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Temporarily Working in SC..... Question

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    38

    Temporarily Working in SC..... Question

    I know SC doesn't issue non-resident permits unless you own property in SC and they don't accept non-resident permits from other states.

    I will be working in SC for a few months (ice storm cleanup) and everything I've read points to me carrying a pistol in my car in a center console or glove box is legal without a permit.

    Is this so? Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cook View Post
    Is this so? Thoughts?
    Yes.

    SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions. It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law: [ ... ] (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is: (a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

    From my experiences with H. Hugo, don't count on a warm reception from anyone.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-21-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    134

    warm reception???????????

    if he's working for a utility company, he'll be fine. If he's working for a contractor descending on the area looking to make some quick money, he might need the pistol for self defense. There's already been reports of a number of scammers running around trying to "help" people out with storm damage repairs that apparently aren't on the up and up.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by RK3369 View Post
    if he's working for a utility company, he'll be fine. If he's working for a contractor descending on the area looking to make some quick money, he might need the pistol for self defense. There's already been reports of a number of scammers running around trying to "help" people out with storm damage repairs that apparently aren't on the up and up.
    I work for a monitoring firm. We monitor and document every branch cut and every debris pile picked up by the FEMA contractors and report on cubic yardage and number of branches cut/trees removed to the city/county on a daily basis.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Yes.

    SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions. It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law: [ ... ] (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is: (a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

    From my experiences with H. Hugo, don't count on a warm reception from anyone.

    I do this for a living man. Last year was NJ, CT, SD and CO... Nobody wants their trees cut down after paying 2K to a shisty arborist to "fix" a split tree. Unfortunately, when FEMA'S footing the bill, town's don't care one bit.... that tree's coming down. I have to deal with pissed off homeowners daily..... that's why I carry :-)

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,158
    I lived in coastal SC for thirty years, and several hurricanes, and do not recall ever hearing of such a thing or even of a vaguely similar requirement. A citation to South Carolina Administrative Code regulations would be enlightening. Absent that, cite the federal requirement/authorization.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I lived in coastal SC for thirty years, and several hurricanes, and do not recall ever hearing of such a thing or even of a vaguely similar requirement. A citation to South Carolina Administrative Code regulations would be enlightening. Absent that, cite the federal requirement/authorization.
    If you're talking bout my job... I work for Leidos. Our work falls under FEMA 325-327

    Of course applicants can self-monitor but they usually opt to contract a monitoring/consulting firm such as Leidos.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cook View Post
    If you're talking bout my job... I work for Leidos. Our work falls under FEMA 325-327 Of course applicants can self-monitor but they usually opt to contract a monitoring/consulting firm such as Leidos.
    FEMA 325 Public Assistance Debris Management Guide
    FEMA 327 Debris Monitoring Guide

    http://www.fema.gov/public-assistanc...nagement-guide
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    134

    well, just maybe.........

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cook View Post
    I do this for a living man. Last year was NJ, CT, SD and CO... Nobody wants their trees cut down after paying 2K to a shisty arborist to "fix" a split tree. Unfortunately, when FEMA'S footing the bill, town's don't care one bit.... that tree's coming down. I have to deal with pissed off homeowners daily..... that's why I carry :-)
    your company should reconsider the approach they use. The last thing you want to tell somebody from down here is that you represent the government and you're going to do what ever you want despite what they think. That's not the #1 thing folks down here want to hear from the government. You might want to have the town send out some communications or something letting people know that "the government is here to help them". lol

    just a suggestion.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,158
    The name popped up in other reading. Leidos is an SAIC spin-off general federal contractor
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    I don't need no stinking G-man, revenuer, or federal contractor, helping me clean up my property. The town ain't gunna tell me that some yankee is gunna help me clean up my property. No government man is gunna count anything about anything on my land.

    Seriously, most folks who will use these "services" will not have a choice in the matter. I am fortunate, I do have a choice and the means.

    After storms I post No Trespassing signs all around my property where vehicle access is possible. After Hugo, I walked daily, with 870 and 1911, around my land to make sure nothing hinky was going on. Locals know better and yankees, even transplants, don't.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,158
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    [ ... ] Locals know better and yankees, even transplants, don't.
    We called 'em, "from off."
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •