• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Things are heating up her in Arkansas

Packer fan

Even though Act 746 has been passed not all of Arkansas recognizes as on open carry law.

We have had a number of Act 746 celebration walks in the bigger cities but the more rural large money areas are refusing to recognize the law. We here in the North Central area of Arkansas are organizing a celebration walk that the police will either refuse to recognize the law or be the final test case for the law. This is not about open vs concealed carry but about freedom. The freedom to protect oneself against anyone or anything that may do him/her harm.

Keep a close eye on this one because the lines are being drawn in the sand. We did not want this to happen. All we wanted was to have a quiet peaceful walk and go home but the powers that be wants to make this a no go. It started out as just a few (maybe 10) people but has blossomed into a Leviathan.

I'll try to keep everyone updated to the goings on and if you are from South Mo come join us March 15, 2014. We will keep this peaceful. This is not an anti police, anti government protest but an Act 746 freedom celebration.

Kopis

It's been said since the day Act 746 passed and OCers celebrated then the ASP and AG office said no, we see it differently that this will have to go before a court for final interpretation. Each side says they read it differently. However, the same thing happened in MS recently. I talked with some LEOs just before they went constitutional carry and they LEOs were telling the lawmakers didnt know what they had passed and were writing a new law to undo the old law. Furthermore, the only reason i would want to OC is to scare people and that if i did OC, people would run in fear screaming while dropping their shopping carts mid aisle..... oh and that the ground under my feet would turn into a black hole singlehandedly causing the destruction of the entire world (ok slight exaggeration on the last bit). Of course, MS went to OC and nothing has changed. I saw an MS LEO in the fall and asked him about the new law and he sighed and said, no i am not allowed to ask you for a permit or confront you just because you are OCing.

It's unforunate that rural, southern states like MS, AR, TX etc are having to fight for something like OC.

A lot of people will be wishing you well. Im afraid someone will have to take the plunge and go to court though.

endorphine44

all of the threats and posturing from the anti-gun crowd has been exactly that so far. I think they fully understand they can't do anything about it and are hoping the idle threats will stop it.
I'm not aware of anyone being arrested for open carry, even in cities that have squealed the loudest about not allowing it. The worst story I can come up with was a 10-15 min "detention" by LRPD in a WalMart that ended with everyone walking away.
Last year I would have bet money that this would have already resulted in an arrest and court case to validate Constitutional Carry in Arkansas, but at this point I'm almost convinced it's going to happen without any challenge at all. As more people become comfortable with open carry and are exposed to more people carrying in the open there will be much less will of the people to change or "clarify" the law.

The walk in Eureka Springs will be the most interesting to watch. I wish I had time to go to it.

Kopis

When is that walk? Im too chicken to risk it in my little corrupt town. My dad has a bad rep and some people in LE dislike my family name. What i dont get is why a rural state that generally supports firearms is trying to fight this. No one actually cares about this except LEOs. I almost always OC in my yard and at my house. My neighbors never even bat an eye.

MS had the same thing happen. LEOs were claiming the world would come to end an end if OC became the law of the land (even though we are just a few minutes from memphis TN where OC is legal and has never caused me an issue in almost a year now).

I probably wont OC in AR until the law is clarified or there is a ruling on it.

endorphine44

Kopis, the Eureka Springs walk will be March 29th. If you're on Facebook you can follow "Patriots of Act 746" and "Arkansas Carry Act 746 Information/Discussion Group" for more info.

Kopis

Kopis, the Eureka Springs walk will be March 29th. If you're on Facebook you can follow "Patriots of Act 746" and "Arkansas Carry Act 746 Information/Discussion Group" for more info.

Thanks, i may watch it but i dont follow much firearm related stuff on FB or am even on FB that much for that matter. I hope it goes well. I wished this would come to a resolution either way via the court system sooner than later.