• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops throw jogger to the ground demand ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Updated (6:45 p.m.): At a press conference held Friday, APD police chief Art Acevedo addressed the recent arrest of 24-year-old Amanda Jo Stephen, who was taken into custody Thursday after crossing an intersection at a red light. Stephen was formally charged with “failure to identify” and “failure to obey a pedestrian control device” and was released from Travis County Central Booking Thursday evening.
From updated link above^^^

Looks like the initial stop was for failure to follow a control device ... likely

From police FB acct..
Facts regarding the West/North Campus Traffic Initiative arrest

The Austin Police Department (APD) takes traffic safety and the safety of Austin’s residents seriously.

In the last 5 years in the City of Austin we have had 1,757 pedestrians injured in traffic crashes and 96 lives have been lost in traffic crashes involving pedestrians.

The District Representatives began the West/North Campus Traffic Initiative on Feb.1 to address the community’s concerns regarding pedestrians and traffic in the neighborhood. The initiative is planned to continue, until the community’s issues are addressed.

The goals of the initiative are to reduce complaints, crashes and the overall number of violations and citations in the area.

The ultimate goal is to change behavior, not to write citations.

The first week of the initiative addressed bicycle violations, the second motor vehicle violations and this week pedestrian violations.

Yesterday’s initiative resulted in 28 stops; 7 of those stops resulted in citations issued for disregarding traffic control devices.

Two officers in full uniform at the time of the arrest were working the West/North Campus Initiative. One of the officers was standing at the corner of an intersection and the other officer was standing a few feet away.

The individual ignored the traffic control device and ran against the red light through the intersection. As she did this she ran right past the APD officer standing at the intersection, at which point he yelled for her to stop. The female continued running. The second officer heard the other officer yelling at someone to stop and then ran after the female also yelling at her to stop. At this point, the second officer and the female were side by side, the officer grabbed the female’s arm and immediately identified himself as an APD officer. The female then became uncooperative and confrontational with the officers and refused to identify herself, which is required by law.

One point APD would like to clarify is section 38.02 of the Texas Penal Code: Failure to Identify-(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally refuses to give his name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has lawfully arrested the person and requested the information.
(b) A person commits an offense if he intentionally gives a false or fictitious name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has:
(1) lawfully arrested the person;
(2) lawfully detained the person; or
(3) requested the information from a person that the peace officer has good cause to believe is a witness to a criminal offense.
(c) Except as provided by Subsections (d) and (e), an offense under this section is:
(1) a Class C misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (a); or
(2) a Class B misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (b).
(d) If it is shown on the trial of an offense under this section that the defendant was a fugitive from justice at the time of the offense, the offense is:
(1) a Class B misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (a); or
(2) a Class A misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (b).
(e) If conduct that constitutes an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under Section 106.07, Alcoholic Beverage Code, the actor may be prosecuted only under Section 106.07.

The female was arrested for Failure to Identify and Failure to Obey a Pedestrian Control Device.

https://www.facebook.com/AustinPolice ^^

I cannot find an ordinance for Austin for failure to follow traffic control devices although I found some for other TX towns and the university notes it in their rules (http://www.utexas.edu/parking/rules/sec4.html) .. so I'm guessing its an infraction.

Sounds like the initial stop was valid and her refusal to show ID would be valid.

People don't like the force used then? You have never been arrested then ... lol

We all know why this is a story..

countryclubjoe

Updated (6:45 p.m.): At a press conference held Friday, APD police chief Art Acevedo addressed the recent arrest of 24-year-old Amanda Jo Stephen, who was taken into custody Thursday after crossing an intersection at a red light. Stephen was formally charged with “failure to identify” and “failure to obey a pedestrian control device” and was released from Travis County Central Booking Thursday evening.
From updated link above^^^

Looks like the initial stop was for failure to follow a control device ... likely

From police FB acct..
Facts regarding the West/North Campus Traffic Initiative arrest

The Austin Police Department (APD) takes traffic safety and the safety of Austin’s residents seriously.

In the last 5 years in the City of Austin we have had 1,757 pedestrians injured in traffic crashes and 96 lives have been lost in traffic crashes involving pedestrians.

The District Representatives began the West/North Campus Traffic Initiative on Feb.1 to address the community’s concerns regarding pedestrians and traffic in the neighborhood. The initiative is planned to continue, until the community’s issues are addressed.

The goals of the initiative are to reduce complaints, crashes and the overall number of violations and citations in the area.

The ultimate goal is to change behavior, not to write citations.

The first week of the initiative addressed bicycle violations, the second motor vehicle violations and this week pedestrian violations.

Yesterday’s initiative resulted in 28 stops; 7 of those stops resulted in citations issued for disregarding traffic control devices.

Two officers in full uniform at the time of the arrest were working the West/North Campus Initiative. One of the officers was standing at the corner of an intersection and the other officer was standing a few feet away.

The individual ignored the traffic control device and ran against the red light through the intersection. As she did this she ran right past the APD officer standing at the intersection, at which point he yelled for her to stop. The female continued running. The second officer heard the other officer yelling at someone to stop and then ran after the female also yelling at her to stop. At this point, the second officer and the female were side by side, the officer grabbed the female’s arm and immediately identified himself as an APD officer. The female then became uncooperative and confrontational with the officers and refused to identify herself, which is required by law.

One point APD would like to clarify is section 38.02 of the Texas Penal Code: Failure to Identify-(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally refuses to give his name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has lawfully arrested the person and requested the information.
(b) A person commits an offense if he intentionally gives a false or fictitious name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has:
(1) lawfully arrested the person;
(2) lawfully detained the person; or
(3) requested the information from a person that the peace officer has good cause to believe is a witness to a criminal offense.
(c) Except as provided by Subsections (d) and (e), an offense under this section is:
(1) a Class C misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (a); or
(2) a Class B misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (b).
(d) If it is shown on the trial of an offense under this section that the defendant was a fugitive from justice at the time of the offense, the offense is:
(1) a Class B misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (a); or
(2) a Class A misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (b).
(e) If conduct that constitutes an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under Section 106.07, Alcoholic Beverage Code, the actor may be prosecuted only under Section 106.07.

The female was arrested for Failure to Identify and Failure to Obey a Pedestrian Control Device.

https://www.facebook.com/AustinPolice ^^

I cannot find an ordinance for Austin for failure to follow traffic control devices although I found some for other TX towns and the university notes it in their rules (http://www.utexas.edu/parking/rules/sec4.html) .. so I'm guessing its an infraction.

Sounds like the initial stop was valid and her refusal to show ID would be valid.

People don't like the force used then? You have never been arrested then ... lol

We all know why this is a story..

Hi

FAILURE TO FOLLOW A CONTROL DEVICE... SEEMS LIKE A REASONABLE JUSTIFICATION FOR THROWING SOMEONE TO THE GROUND AND HANDCUFFING THEM... GREAT POLICE WORK.. INDEED!

Regards

CCJ

davidmcbeth

Banned
Hi

FAILURE TO FOLLOW A CONTROL DEVICE... SEEMS LIKE A REASONABLE JUSTIFICATION FOR THROWING SOMEONE TO THE GROUND AND HANDCUFFING THEM... GREAT POLICE WORK.. INDEED!

Regards

CCJ

Usually when you get arrested its not a pleasant experience ... I know ! My convictions: zero. I'm Mr. Teflon lol ('cause I don't run around committing crimes mainly).

I know (ie my guess) what happened, she had her headphones on, oblivious to the world around her - crossed on a red ... then got upset when a cop lawfully stopped her (here's some info: cops don't like to run around-so the cop wasn't happy he had to chase her down) and refused to provide ID that lead to an arrest. If it was you or me who behaved that way it would have been bully clubs to the brainbox. Clunk!

I actually miss the days when cops would just give you a clunk on the head and then send you on your way for minor stuff.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

Hey.... think of all the car accidents they avoided from gawkers. :-D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

All the accidents were from the gawkers watching a half naked woman being thrown to the ground by two overweight slobs with nothing better to do.. In this case some of the gawkers had video recorders to record such excellent police work. Another black eye for the law enforcement community.. Like I said in previous post, the young victim will have some cash for her future from the USC 42 section 1983 litigation and hopefully the four idiots involved in her arrest will be penniless and spooning with bubba for a long time to come.

Regards

CCJ

Primus

All the accidents were from the gawkers watching a half naked woman being thrown to the ground by two overweight slobs with nothing better to do.. In this case some of the gawkers had video recorders to record such excellent police work. Another black eye for the law enforcement community.. Like I said in previous post, the young victim will have some cash for her future from the USC 42 section 1983 litigation and hopefully the four idiots involved in her arrest will be penniless and spooning with bubba for a long time to come.

Regards

CCJ

It seems she wont... Another poster already cleared the matter up with cites.

The city residents want accidents to stop. There's apparently been a rash of then the last 5 years with numerous fatalities. So the residents called for action . They came up with a 3 phase plan. The last phase focused on people crossing where and when your supposed to so you don't get run over by cars.

Officers were there for this reason. The girl ran by not paying attention. She didn't follow the stop light or signal. They attempted to stop her to give her a citation (or could've been a warning). She didn't stop because she wasn't paying attention. They grabbed her to get her attention. She freaked out probably not even realizing she did anything wrong. She refuses to ID herself. Got arrested per the cites statute.

I understand this may not jive with preconceived notions.... but that doesn't make it untrue or any less legal. There are plenty of other cases of police stupidity/brutality this one just isn't one of them.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Presumptions aside - the young lady was apparently not OCing.

OCDO is not "Cop Watch" and has no intention of being so. Neither this forum nor the sub-forum (Social Lounge) will become a negative outlet for expressing problems with LEOs. Rants or posts using negative descriptors (i.e. thugs, pigs, etc.) add nothing but inflammatory verbiage and put this forum in an undesirable light.

Events like J-walking, speeding, trespass, when not connected to OC or RKBA are off-topic. Period.

As an appeal to a poster's sense of purpose on OCDO to keep this forum focused on why we are here (promoting/defending OC,) I would hope that the lighter redirection would be sufficient. There are sanctions available for those that persist - I really don't want to do that.

Nothing herein is intended to squash reports of specific instances of misconduct by anyone related to OC or RKBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.