• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Gun Recommendation?

Firearms Iinstuctor

I'll hit up Gander Mountain and Cabela's today. See what's what. There's a range near me that rents guns too. I'll look at them.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I find a good revolver S@W Colt or Ruger in 357 a top choice for a first gun 4 to 6 inch was the choice for many decades and still hard to beat.

They are very accurate easy to use and reliable May be a bit more price wise but they well last a life time. and if one works at finding a good use one for around 500 is very doable.

Finding a semi for under 500 used should be no problem at all.

With some training any of them a semi auto or revolver can get the job done.

Gallowmere

Reading this helped me to decide on my first carry gun, as his most valid point is at the end: "No one else decides for us. The choices are ours. And if you wind up with a “wardrobe of carry guns” just as you already have a wardrobe of clothing for different seasons and occasions… well, there just isn’t anything wrong with that."
http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/05/massad-ayoob-the-right-carry-gun/

I went with the Ruger SR1911 5", and my second will likely be a Ruger GP100 3" or 4.2" in .357, and my third...well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. ;)
Basically, consider some of the opinions here, go to the gun store, feel out the selection, read some reviews, watch some videos, etc. We live in an age where you can find all kinds of information before you even wrap your hand around a grip.
One benefit of revolvers is that you can buy used with a bit more confidence that all will work well, and might come away with a great deal on an excellent firearm, and get something that your budget might not have allowed for otherwise. With a quick visual inspection of a revolver (make sure nothing is bent, or burred), and a few dry fires, you can be fairly sure that when you squeeze it, it's gonna go bang every time, until your rounds are spent (so long as you don't load any bad carts that have the bullet pushed out to cause the cylinder to be unable to turn). After that, it's all about practicing with a speedloader or moon clips, or both.

WalkingWolf

Reading this helped me to decide on my first carry gun, as his most valid point is at the end: "No one else decides for us. The choices are ours. And if you wind up with a “wardrobe of carry guns” just as you already have a wardrobe of clothing for different seasons and occasions… well, there just isn’t anything wrong with that."

I went with the Ruger SR1911 5", and my second will likely be a Ruger GP100 3" or 4.2" in .357, and my third...well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. ;)
Basically, consider some of the opinions here, go to the gun store, feel out the selection, read some reviews, watch some videos, etc. We live in an age where you can find all kinds of information before you even wrap your hand around a grip.
One benefit of revolvers is that you can buy used with a bit more confidence that all will work well, and might come away with a great deal on an excellent firearm, and get something that your budget might not have allowed for otherwise. With a quick visual inspection of a revolver (make sure nothing is bent, or burred), and a few dry fires, you can be fairly sure that when you squeeze it, it's gonna go bang every time, until your rounds are spent (so long as you don't load any bad carts that have the bullet pushed out to cause the cylinder to be unable to turn). After that, it's all about practicing with a speedloader or moon clips, or both.

Always check the BC gap when buying a revolver, especially used. As far as more confidence, most of the major semi auto manufacturers are good about fixing used guns for reasonable. And I am a revolver fan, just trying to be honest. In all honesty you will get more bang for your buck with a semi auto.

Just a example several months back I bought a Pietta 1873 clone for $420. Just last week I bought a Glock 37 for $415.

Gallowmere

Always check the BC gap when buying a revolver, especially used. As far as more confidence, most of the major semi auto manufacturers are good about fixing used guns for reasonable. And I am a revolver fan, just trying to be honest. In all honesty you will get more bang for your buck with a semi auto.

Just a example several months back I bought a Pietta 1873 clone for $420. Just last week I bought a Glock 37 for $415.

Oh, definitely. Knowing what to look for is obviously the most important thing when buying used. I was more pointing out the fact that with more moving parts, there's more chances of missing something with the limited inspection you could likely do at any dealer. I don't know too many who are okay with you even field stripping a firearm, let alone fully tearing one down before you buy it. ;) "YMMV" takes on a whole new level of meaning when talking about used firearms anyway. :D Your point about the manufacturers is also an excellent one.

As for the pricing: I've seen it going so far all over the place in either direction, with both types, that it's getting hard to tell anymore. This is most obvious when dealing with private sellers. Saw a guy the other day selling a GP-100 stainless with 6" barrel for about $375 (though it was included in a bulk sale with a bunch of ammo, so that's what I figured the gun to be selling at once the ammo values were averaged and removed). That same day, saw someone trying to sell a used P220 for about $20 off the "normal" retail cost of one.

solus

I'm not sure where to start, so the first question that comes to my mind is what would be good first purchase for around $500?

I recently moved to Wichita, KS from Austin, TX. Can someone give me some advice for handling the laws here too? I don't have a Kansas drivers license yet, but I have been living in an apartment for a few months. Will that stop me from being able to purchase a firearm?

Thanks for the help!

you have been given the beginning gambit of ramblings but you didn't provide any type of info regarding your prior exposure to firearms.

therefore, as my normal mantra...
1. go find a NRA basic pistol course to provide you an overview of firearm safety, handling, shooting, and maintenance;
2. someone has already advised you to rent a firearm from the local range for you to handle while you are in your quest mode;
3. Do your homework and check around for the best price, condition, and then check Buds and then purchase your firearm for your personal use.

might casually inquire from your property mgmt if they have restrictions on their residents carrying firearms on their property.

ipse

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Enjoy your 1911 ... its a quality firearm

Kopis

Thanks for the responses and the questions. I didn't know what information to give, so I just threw out what came to mind.

I'd like a pistol for target shooting and personal defense. Eventually I want to get my CCW permit.

I would point out that target shooting and self defense dont really go together well. I have pistols that i just shoot with on the weekend but carry a different firearm. Im not a revolver guy but they are reliable and simple. Any of the new polymer single action pistols like GLOCK, S&W etc have good triggers, are relatively cheap, very accurate and almost unfailingly reliable.

If you want a CCW gun, i would encourage you to go to a local range. Often, you can rent pistols from them. They will let you handle quite a few so you can see what feels natural to you then try renting a few of your final choices. Im a huge glock fan as my carry gun is a tool, i dont care if it gets scratched, worn etc it just has to function the one time i need it to. A 1911 is tough to beat as well. They hold good value too. there are some great 9mm choices in 1911 now like the springfield armory EMP.

Oh last little tid bit. Dont get caught up in the argument of you HAVE to have a .40 or 45ACP to defend yourself. bullet technology has improved a lot. The new self defense rounds are wicked in any caliber nowadays. The florida cop theater shooting is a prime example. One round from a .380 that went through the wife's hand and still killed the guy. If you plan to shoot it a lot or go to the range fequently, stick with a 9mm. The food for it is about 30+% cheaper than .40 and close to 50% cheaper than 45.

apparently i didnt read the last few posts! Cant go wrong with a 1911, that's one you'll have forever even as you buy/sell other guns. I dont carry my 5" 1911 but d@mn they're accurate! Even my 3" and 4" kimbers are the best shooters.

Last edited:

Campo6245

Personally I would suggest a nice 1911 in 45 ACP. If you are trying to stay within $500 I would say go with a Rock Island which are very good, but if you like to buy American you can always add a few more dollars and get a springfield used or new old stock. 1911s are an incredible tool. It was my first handgun and I think it was the spark that started the fire in my love for handguns. If it is a first gun period. Ask yourself do you want a long gun or a handgun. Also what will you use it for. If you hunt I would say a shotgun as others have said. If you just want to target shoot. I would say a Ruger 10/22 Rifle. Either way keep us posted and goodluck in choosing!

arentol

apparently i didnt read the last few posts! Cant go wrong with a 1911, that's one you'll have forever even as you buy/sell other guns. I dont carry my 5" 1911 but d@mn they're accurate! Even my 3" and 4" kimbers are the best shooters.

Just to clarify... The person that got the 1911 is not the original poster. The OP's last update was that he was going to check out some stores in person. If he has purchased a gun he had not reported so here.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Gallowmere

Just to clarify... The person that got the 1911 is not the original poster. The OP's last update was that he was going to check out some stores in person. If he has purchased a gun he had not reported so here.

Yeap. I apologize if my posting about my own purchase decision caused any confusion. It was just a bit of an addendum to the article that I suggested he read, intended to explain that even though the 1911 is only briefly mentioned in the article, it still felt "right", once I got my hands on it. Finding what fits, and all of that good stuff. Damn shame it's so relatively expensive to feed. ;)

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I would point out that target shooting and self defense dont really go together well.

That really depends on what you mean by "target shooting." You can do a lot of really fun shooting at paper targets with your self-defense firearm and the practice will be good for you. If you plan to do formal, competitive precision shooting then a firearm suitable for self-defense won't take you very far.

TaurusRanger

Would also help to know, if it is to be a carry weapon, how you intend to carry. you can open carry just about anything, however if you plan to conceal, something with a smaller frame would be better.

For example, I carry a .45 semi-auto. The only time I've been able to effectively conceal is during the winter months. This is partly why I decided on open carry.

Last edited:

Cava3r4

walking wolf in post number 11 has some good advice (as do others).

when you get moved in, I would check out the Kansas part of this web site and ask around.
there are plenty of people around who would like to take you shooting I'd guess.
I know I've taken people shooting out here in Phoenix and 3 out of about 10 of them have taken to the shooting sports.
That said, if you go to a gun club, most folks will allow you to put a few rounds down range through their weapon,
also, there are various ranges that you can rent weapons from.
If you have never fired guns before, it would be a good idea to get some training.
After you have figured out what you want (revolver vs auto-loader) be advised that you can buy GLOCK police "turn ins" for a reasonable price and you can sometimes find some good used model 586 (.357 revolver) that will allow you to shoot both .357 and .38 specials.
The Glock, especially if it is a compact will be easier to conceal and be lighter then the .357.
go to www.aliengear.com for a really GOOD holster and a super price.
Personally, I carry a Kimber Polymer Target 1911 that holds 14 + 1 rounds of .45 ACP and is FULL sized. It does however weigh 2 oz LESS then a Colt Govt Model Series 70 Mark IV 1911 because of the plastic (Polymer) frame and it holds 15 rounds vs 9 (14 +1 up the pipe, vs 8 + 1).
I use a alien gear holster or a comp-tac holster depending on where the belt loops are on my pants.
the secret to carrying ANY pistol or revolver is to have a GOOD BELT. This keeps the holster and gun from moving around and chafing the he11 out of you.
My belt is 1-1/2 wide x almost 1/4 inch thick. (I won't tell you how long it is due to my 6 pack abs).
Once you get set up, PRACTICE practice PRACTICE.
Good luck

Last edited:

marrandy

I own one Hi Point firearm, I have to say it works, and consistently works. It is fairly accurate, nothing close to a 1911 though. And never buy one for a investment, you will lose money. Though buying a used one is good because HP has a no questions asked warranty. Not a good conceal carry gun though, but this is not a conceal carry site. They are heavy and unfortunately bulky. Ammo capacity is not that high either for those into carrying a box of ammo in one magazine.

HP's do require, it is a must, shooting them! They all need to be broken in, and they will almost guaranteed FTF/FTE brand new. Do not dump one because it does, get more ammo, keep shooting, and follow some steps outlined by some sources online to remedy issues.

ETA never sell your guns, give them to me, I will even pay for shipping. My part in the community to take in abandoned firearms. It is a tough responsibility I have put on myself, but I feel compelled to do my part.

I used to Conceal Carry (CC) a Berretta 92SF. Now I CC the full sized XD45 and both times, it's daily in Florida in shorts and t-shirt. No one has yet, in 12-years asked me if I am carrying. I also know people who CC the .45 1911.

It's not too difficult if you have the right equipment.

"never sell your guns, give them to me, I will even pay for shipping" - ditto. PM me and I will gladly take them off your hands. :)