• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Gun Recommendation?

selderane

I'm not sure where to start, so the first question that comes to my mind is what would be good first purchase for around $500?

I recently moved to Wichita, KS from Austin, TX. Can someone give me some advice for handling the laws here too? I don't have a Kansas drivers license yet, but I have been living in an apartment for a few months. Will that stop me from being able to purchase a firearm?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
A shotgun is always the first gun one should own IMO.

A Remington 870 is a good choice. New or used.

But wish a handgun? A 357 mag is an excellent choice. Easier to maintain than a pistol and it packs quite a punch + can use 38spl for target practice (lower cost ammo).

Set on a pistol? Beretta 92 9mm is an excellent choice. New or used.

Desire a rifle? Cannot go wrong with a 30-30 lever action. Or an AR15. $$ is going to be a hurdle for these rifles.
An AK is a good choice as well and should be easier on the pocketbook.

No DL? Call a ffl and ask what he would need to show residency. I never cared myself...just went with the signed 4473 form. Of course, buying from a private seller may eliminate this issue all together.

Last edited:

mobiushky

It might help to elain what you want to get out if it. Carry gun? Home defense? Taget practice? Etc.

Do you have any prior experience? Do you have any preferences for style. Etc.

It's an open question with a lot of options.

Grim_Night

It might help to elain what you want to get out if it. Carry gun? Home defense? Taget practice? Etc.

Do you have any prior experience? Do you have any preferences for style. Etc.

It's an open question with a lot of options.

I completely agree with this. Know what you want the gun for and then figure out which one will meet all the requirements for that purpose.

If you want low maint. go with a revolver (you usually don't have to worry about jams, FTFs, FTEs, stove pipes etc.). If you want a larger ammo cap and faster reloading ability, go with a semi-auto. If you do go with a semi-auto, go with something that is durable and easily maintained. I personally went with a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 full size. Has all the same features as a glock but is completely American owned and made. The other advantage to the M&P .40 is that if you want a 9mm or a sig .357, you only need to change out the barrel (the 9mm also requires new mags as well but that's easy). The M&Ps also break down into a grand total of 5 main parts for cleaning and maint. Another nice bonus to the M&Ps is that they have a "safer" way of breaking them down without needing to pull the trigger.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I would agree with the others more information would be nice. There are many fine firearms out there to meet many needs a lot of them well cross over and fill more then one need.

What is the OP mainly going to use the firearm for.

Mr Birdman

first gun

That is the MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION. Every one is eager to help and give advice but know one knows what the firearm is to be used for so everyone is eagar to help but do not know how we need more INFO>:shocker::shocker::shocker:

CT Barfly

the OP is buying a gun to save his bacon in case of unavoidable life/death confrontation. what other purpose do people carry guns for???? if he wants a fighting gun, revolvers are out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzmkGgQLCMA

"small enough to carry, big enough to fight with."

next question.

Last edited:

selderane

Thanks for the responses and the questions. I didn't know what information to give, so I just threw out what came to mind.

I'd like a pistol for target shooting and personal defense. Eventually I want to get my CCW permit.

WalkingWolf

the OP is buying a gun to save his bacon in case of unavoidable life/death confrontation. what other purpose do people carry guns for???? if he wants a fighting gun, revolvers are out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzmkGgQLCMA

"small enough to carry, big enough to fight with."

next question.

YOU ARE kidding right, a video from "Runaway" Yeager, the biggest IDIOT in the firearm industry? There is nothing at all wrong with a revolver for self defense, unless one is in the spray and pray crowd. For that he would need a hi capacity semi auto, and a lawyer on speed dial.

Generally revolvers are more expensive than semi autos for major brands, both new and used. But there are affordable choices in both. The OP just has to weigh the pros and cons for himself, only he can do that.

CT Barfly

YOU ARE kidding right, a video from "Runaway" Yeager, the biggest IDIOT in the firearm industry? There is nothing at all wrong with a revolver for self defense, unless one is in the spray and pray crowd. For that he would need a hi capacity semi auto, and a lawyer on speed dial.

Generally revolvers are more expensive than semi autos for major brands, both new and used. But there are affordable choices in both. The OP just has to weigh the pros and cons for himself, only he can do that.

it's not an endorsement of Yeager, it's an endorsement of Yeager's preferred EDC.

failing to distinguish between those two things is not my personal failing.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Thanks for the responses and the questions. I didn't know what information to give, so I just threw out what came to mind.

I'd like a pistol for target shooting and personal defense. Eventually I want to get my CCW permit.

Go to a gun store and try different guns in your hand, maybe rent some to shoot on a range. Take a safety class also.

Revolver is a good choice, right now Ruger is about the best, though pricing is going to be above your 500 dollar mark. There are things you have to watch out for buying any used revolver. The primary is timing, make sure the cylinders line up both double and single action. The second is take a feeler gauge with you to inspect the BC gap, anything over .008 you should pass on.

Semi autos do not have a barrel/cylinder gap, but you should inspect the primer strike on any used gun. Take a lead pencil. Drop it down the muzzle, and pull the trigger. The pencil should shoot a few feet out the end of the barrel, if not pass, you will have problems with light strikes. Watch the trigger pull on DA only pistols, too light and AD/ND's could be a problem, and you could end up with light strikes. Too heavy and your accuracy will suck for target shooting, though heavy does not really equate to high stress combat situations.

There are things you will have to go through with a semi auto that are not vital with a revolver. You will have to break in a new semi auto, don't load it and let it sit hoping it will work when needed. Almost all semi autos will have a FTF/FTE when new. Break them in, and find the sweet spot in ammo and you will be good to go.

If you are looking to bullseye target shoot, get a 1911. I never had one, and I have had many, that were not capable of putting one round after another in the same hole consistently. S&W were the only revolvers that I had that would do this also. 1911's are expensive for the major brands, probably over your 500 mark, but well worth the money. OTH Rock Island are close to your mark and well made. There are also many surplus options out there on 1911 type pistols,(John Browning design) and other JMB designed pistols. Sarco usually has some options on high power clones, and Star pistols for under 300.

For a carry gun keep in mind the availability of holsters. Many guns do not have non custom holsters available. I make my own holsters so I do not have that problem.

In this day and age, my choice for a new weapon for casual plinking, and carry would be one of the police trade ins. They usually have been armory inspected and are already broken in. They are not pretty and some very worn, but hey most people don't buy firearms as a fashion accessory, if they do stay away from their advice.

Again for new, for a beginner, my choice for both revolver and semi auto would be Ruger. Though I admit I do not own one at this present time, I have owned several in the past though.

WalkingWolf

it's not an endorsement of Yeager, it's an endorsement of Yeager's preferred EDC.

failing to distinguish between those two things is not my personal failing.

You will find that at least on this site somebody, this time it was me,will mock you for using Yeager as a cite. Even if you agree with him, that is the problem with him being an idiot, he is a idiot. It would be like going to the hospital nuthouse for advice on the weather, occasionally they might be right, but most of them are not capable of reliable credibility.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Go cheap, simple and basic!
I recommend,,,, Highpoint 9mm....
Use it at the range,,, practice,,, etc,,, a lot!
Carry it, openly,,, then concealed, if you wish...

Learn about other guns, decide what you would like to have too,, or instead,,,
save up the money you need to buy... Your Next gun!

Keep the Highpoint as an extra... truck gun... farm gun... back up!

And... Never sell your Extra guns!

WalkingWolf

I own one Hi Point firearm, I have to say it works, and consistently works. It is fairly accurate, nothing close to a 1911 though. And never buy one for a investment, you will lose money. Though buying a used one is good because HP has a no questions asked warranty. Not a good conceal carry gun though, but this is not a conceal carry site. They are heavy and unfortunately bulky. Ammo capacity is not that high either for those into carrying a box of ammo in one magazine.

HP's do require, it is a must, shooting them! They all need to be broken in, and they will almost guaranteed FTF/FTE brand new. Do not dump one because it does, get more ammo, keep shooting, and follow some steps outlined by some sources online to remedy issues.

ETA never sell your guns, give them to me, I will even pay for shipping. My part in the community to take in abandoned firearms. It is a tough responsibility I have put on myself, but I feel compelled to do my part.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

At least he didn't call folks insane in this thread. Revolvers are excellent for self defense. Who wants to be shot with a .357 mag? They very very rarely jam unlike pistols that can. I've never had a jam with any type of revolver .. cannot say the same for pistols.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Most target pistols are not appropriate for personal defense.

Since you want to get a CCW its clear that personal defense is taking priority.

Plenty of suggestions in this tread for a first pistol. Go out and look and report back.

CT Barfly

You will find that at least on this site somebody, this time it was me,will mock you for using Yeager as a cite. Even if you agree with him, that is the problem with him being an idiot, he is a idiot. It would be like going to the hospital nuthouse for advice on the weather, occasionally they might be right, but most of them are not capable of reliable credibility.

i happen to think he's quite right. having fired a G19, it's a tack driver. it's also tiny. it's also stone reliable. it's lightweight, too.

if the guy wants a 1911 or a dirty harry magnum, then there are probably factors he values more than a boring EDC.

i see this a lot, people seeking magical answers...or cheerleading for choices they've already made up in their mind.

if this guy is looking for an EDC reco, the G19 is pretty much the cat's meow. there are plenty of imitators out there, they're all pretty much the same. same ammo, polymer frame, passive safeties, 10+ round capacity.

revolver? how many revolvers let you carry 15+1 with 9mm punch? how heavy are they? a gun that is too heavy is not a gun that one will enjoy carrying every day. it's a law of physics...not just dismiss-able "personal opinion."

the industry has pretty much perfected the basics of an EDC...we can debate the pros cons of various design features, but then we're not talking about a handgun recommendation, we're talking about technology recommendations.

your spray and pray comment says it all...i suppose thousands of LEOs are "spray and pray" types not manly enough to bet their life on 5 or 6 rounds and hone their marksmanship. personally, i know that when the SHTF i may miss, so a few extra rounds on board certainly helps me feel like a miss might not cost me my life.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

He moved to Texas. Open carry where??????

selderane

I'll hit up Gander Mountain and Cabela's today. See what's what. There's a range near me that rents guns too. I'll look at them.