• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DD 214 and Your County Courthouse

Tackleberry1

Upon separating Honorably from the Army 17 years ago... I though nothing of the Militaries advice/strong encouragement to record my DD214 with my county courthouse to ensure a copy would be available for possible future benefits. I dutifully did this as directed.

It occurs to me that doing this provides local government with the names, addresses, and record of Military training of every Veteran in the county.

In 1997, I had no reason to be concerned with this. Today... It concerns me.

I've since moved out of State and did not file in my current county.

Of course it's not a requirement to file so no issue... I'm just wondering how many others Vets have a problem with this and complied, like me, before they were old enough to think twice about it?

Tack

Primus

Upon separating Honorably from the Army 17 years ago... I though nothing of the Militaries advice/strong encouragement to record my DD214 with my county courthouse to ensure a copy would be available for possible future benefits. I dutifully did this as directed.

It occurs to me that doing this provides local government with the names, addresses, and record of Military training of every Veteran in the county.

In 1997, I had no reason to be concerned with this. Today... It concerns me.

I've since moved out of State and did not file in my current county.

Of course it's not a requirement to file so no issue... I'm just wondering how many others Vets have a problem with this and complied, like me, before they were old enough to think twice about it?

Tack

Honestly never heard of this till you posted this. I know the big army keeps hard copies on file. I've had to pay a private company to go to said place and get a certified copy for me before.

I think my state has records too and maybe my city because I think I had to go to city hall to receive my deployment bonus from the state. But no court house and no issues so far.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Tackleberry1

Honestly never heard of this till you posted this. I know the big army keeps hard copies on file. I've had to pay a private company to go to said place and get a certified copy for me before.

I think my state has records too and maybe my city because I think I had to go to city hall to receive my deployment bonus from the state. But no court house and no issues so far.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Perhaps it's not a concern with National Guard as your State already has your records.

Upon separation from Active duty Army, soldiers attend the ACAP "Army Career and Alumni Program" and every single speaker harped on recording your DD214 as soon as you got back home.

Tack

davidmcbeth

Banned
Perhaps it's not a concern with National Guard as your State already has your records.

Upon separation from Active duty Army, soldiers attend the ACAP "Army Career and Alumni Program" and every single speaker harped on recording your DD214 as soon as you got back home.

Tack

Never heard that when I separated ... but if I did, I would have known that doing the opposite was the right course of action w/o even thinking about it...:)

Tackleberry1

I've already posted some of the dangers of providing your DD214 publicly.

So I agree with what you are saying.

What does it say about the direction of our Nation that an Honorably Discharged Veteran should be concerned with this?

Sad

Tackleberry1

Never heard that when I separated ... but if I did, I would have known that doing the opposite was the right course of action w/o even thinking about it...:)

When did you ETS?

Most of the things that now concern me are products of "post 9.11" politics.

I'd also be happy to hear if this was no longer being pushed by the Services.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
What does it say about the direction of our Nation that an Honorably Discharged Veteran should be concerned with this?

Sad

Most of what I posted previously was in respect to foreign agents knowing what bases you served on, what your MOS was etc...targeting you for information...

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have heard of this practice. It is common for young Troops to lose every document they collected as they leave the Military. Most of those who request a copy of your 214 want a "certified" copy with a three dimensional seal on it. As an Army recruiter, I would take uncertified documents and put them "on file" at the courthouse. The next day, go in and ask for a "certified copy of what is on file" and get a "fresh one" with seal. This worked on any document you flip.

Tackleberry1

I have heard of this practice. It is common for young Troops to lose every document they collected as they leave the Military. Most of those who request a copy of your 214 want a "certified" copy with a three dimensional seal on it. As an Army recruiter, I would take uncertified documents and put them "on file" at the courthouse. The next day, go in and ask for a "certified copy of what is on file" and get a "fresh one" with seal. This worked on any document you flip.

Exactly... It was pushed to ensure you could always get a copy should you decide to apply for a federal job, VA benefits, ect... Just concerns me to now that County level government has this much info on law abiding citizens who served.

solus

In the land of disenchantment (nm) it meant you got monetary breaks on property taxes of the house you resided in.

trust me, if you are worried about the feds, anybody for that matter, needed the DD-214 information from the local courthouse in bumbFxxk county in timbuck2 state to track you down, for whatever rational, it is time for your meds to ease the paranoia you are experiencing.

ipse

Tackleberry1

Hmm...

Was it not the head of DHS who posted a BS letter to local LEO agencies across the country that the greatest threat of domestic violence could come from Veterans?

Wasn't Nixon faced with impeachment proceedings for wire tapping a single office while today BHO wire taps the entire county with impunity?

Keep your mess Solus... Trusting our current system and administration to have our best interests at heart will require them.

In the land of disenchantment (nm) it meant you got monetary breaks on property taxes of the house you resided in.

trust me, if you are worried about the feds, anybody for that matter, needed the DD-214 information from the local courthouse in bumbFxxk county in timbuck2 state to track you down, for whatever rational, it is time for your meds to ease the paranoia you are experiencing.

ipse

Last edited:

REDFIVE48

Create an account on ebenefits.va.gov and you can pull up an electronic image of your DD-214 and almost all other military records within a couple days of submitting a request.

solus

Hmm...

Was it not the head of DHS who posted a BS letter to local LEO agencies across the country that the greatest threat of domestic violence could come from Veterans?

Wasn't Nixon faced with impeachment proceedings for wire tapping a single office while today BHO wire taps the entire county with impunity?

Keep your mess Solus... Trusting our current system and administration to have our best interests at heart will require them.

ok, do we have a cite for your DHS statement?

now shall we clear up your misconcepts about tricky dick?
quote: The arrest of the Watergate burglars marked the beginning of a long chain of events in which President Nixon and his top aides became deeply involved in an extensive coverup of the break-in and other White House sanctioned illegal activities. The Senate Select Committee began televised hearings on May 17 1973. A month later, former Presidential Counsel John Dean testified there was an ongoing White House coverup and that Nixon had been personally involved in the payment of hush money to the five burglars and two other operatives involved in planning the Watergate break-in. Three weeks later, another Nixon aide revealed the President had ordered hidden microphones installed in the Oval Office in the spring of 1971 and had recorded most conversations since then on audio tape.

That revelation resulted in a complete collapse of support for Nixon in Congress. On Friday, August 9 1974, Nixon resigned the presidency and avoided the likely prospect of losing the impeachment vote in the full House and a subsequent trial in the Senate. He thus became the only U.S. President ever to resign. unquote
http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/impeachments/nixon.htm

did his plumbing activities include other electronic eavesdrop areas of the Democratic contenders and other reporters offices sure but he was not being threatened with impeachment proceedings for wire tapping activities..!

ipse

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Please pardon the yelling.

IF YOU ARE NOT ALREADY ON AT LEAST ONE LIST YOU HAVE NOT BEEN DOING YOUR JOB FOR FREEDOM!

There are roughly 150 Million of "us" and maybe 100,000 cops. Even if they just start dragging folks off the streets/out of houses and workplaces and throwing them in trucks, they are not going to sweep us all up in one day. The question is - will we go peaceably or will we protest (and I do not mean signing petitions and gathering in the town square).

Not to brag, but I hope I am worthy enough in "Their" eyes to be one of the first they will come for. But by the time they start coming for us, there will have been plenty of warnings for those that know their history. It may be that gathering in the town square, if done early enough, will stop "Them" from rolling out the trucks.

stay safe.

DocWalker

IF YOU ARE NOT ALREADY ON AT LEAST ONE LIST YOU HAVE NOT BEEN DOING YOUR JOB FOR FREEDOM!

There are roughly 150 Million of "us" and maybe 100,000 cops. Even if they just start dragging folks off the streets/out of houses and workplaces and throwing them in trucks, they are not going to sweep us all up in one day. The question is - will we go peaceably or will we protest (and I do not mean signing petitions and gathering in the town square).

Not to brag, but I hope I am worthy enough in "Their" eyes to be one of the first they will come for. But by the time they start coming for us, there will have been plenty of warnings for those that know their history. It may be that gathering in the town square, if done early enough, will stop "Them" from rolling out the trucks.

stay safe.

I'm sure we are all on at least one list for the reason of being on this web site.....

sudden valley gunner

stay safe.

Good points, more cops than that though by almost a factor of ten if you include federal, and the number is growing.

Also beware of so called oath keepers who don't understand the document they took an oath too and are more interested in their jingoistic nationalism.