• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida - long guns in vehicles

JimSmith

I'm newish to Florida, and I'm sorry if I'm asking something that has been answered a thousand times already.
There is lots of good info on the site about handguns, but I'm unclear about carrying long guns in vehicles and on foot in Florida.

Please could someone explain in simple terms without getting into weird exceptions?
I'm not asking about handguns, only long guns.

To illustrate, for example I leave home with several big and small bore, modern and antique, rifles and shotguns and ammo in my pickup, buy gas and swing by a 7-11 for some sodas. Shoot for a time at the range then stop by a big shopping mall on my way home to buy replacement ammo for what I have just used. Then leaving the guns in the truck go to visit a friend at her house for a few hours.
I tend to keep my best long guns in gun socks rather than hard shell cases so they don't sweat, but some are in big hardside plastic cases. I even have an air rifle.

I realize that is probably a lot of superfluous irrelevant information, but better too much than too little.

Last edited:

notalawyer

I'm newish to Florida, and I'm sorry if I'm asking something that has been answered a thousand times already.
There is lots of good info on the site about handguns, but I'm unclear about carrying long guns in vehicles and on foot in Florida.

Please could someone explain in simple terms without getting into weird exceptions?

To illustrate, for example I leave home with several big and small bore, modern and antique, rifles and shotguns and ammo in my pickup, buy gas and swing by a 7-11 for some sodas. Shoot for a time at the range then stop by a big shopping mall on my way home to buy replacement ammo for what I have just used. Then leaving the guns in the truck go to visit a friend at her house for a few hours.
I tend to keep my best long guns in gun socks rather than hard shell cases so they don't sweat, but some are in big hardside plastic cases. I even have an air rifle.

I realize that is probably a lot of superfluous irrelevant information, but better too much than too little.

Go over to Florida Concealed Carry and ask.

1245A Defender

well,,,

There is neither a conflict in asking nor in answering such questions succinctly.

Really?
That sure is an interesting interpretation of the rule.

Really folks,, it is OK...
The OP is not asking about carrying a long gun while out and about in his day to day errands and such!

He is asking about TRANSPORT laws in his state,, as he drives to the RANGE!!!

notalawyer

Really folks,, it is OK...
The OP is not asking about carrying a long gun while out and about in his day to day errands and such!

He is asking about TRANSPORT laws in his state,, as he drives to the RANGE!!!

But that's not what the rule says. :cool:

In any case, it's a somewhat complicated issue based on the fact that his is, indeed, talking about activities other than a simple trip to the range. Hence my suggestion. I'll be more than happy to respond in excruciatingly detail over there.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
He's not advocating for or even asking about long gun "open carry." There is nothing wrong with asking about firearm transportation laws in general. Indeed, this is where I would ask such a question because of the wealth of experts here in such matters, more so than most gun fora elsewhere.

If I was an expert in FL transportation laws, I wouldn't hesitate to answer.

Indeed, as an occasional visitor to Florida, I'll follow the thread.

PS, since handgun open carry is mostly illegal in Florida, long gun open carry is a legitimate question anyway.

Last edited:

notalawyer

He's not advocating for or even asking about long gun "open carry." There is nothing wrong with asking about firearm transportation laws in general. Indeed, this is where I would ask such a question because of the wealth of experts here in such matters, more so than most gun fora elsewhere.

Indeed, as an occasional visitor to Florida, I'll follow the thread.

PS, since handgun open carry is mostly illegal in Florida, long gun open carry is a legitimate question anyway.

As is Long Gun open carry.

I am...well maybe not an expert, but very well acquainted with Florida firearms laws.

But I'll not reply here because of this statement "There is neither a conflict in asking nor in answering such questions succinctly."
That is not possible on this topic and I do not want to draw the ire from the mods based on their interpretation du jour.

That is why I suggested FCC where we are not chastised in our verbosity, especially when such is required on certain topics.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Moderator's judgement shall prevail

There is neither a conflict in asking nor in answering such questions succinctly.

As is Long Gun open carry.

I am...well maybe not an expert, but very well acquainted with Florida firearms laws.

But I'll not reply here because of this statement "There is neither a conflict in asking nor in answering such questions succinctly."
That is not possible on this topic and I do not want to draw the ire from the mods based on their interpretation du jour.

That is why I suggested FCC where we are not chastised in our verbosity, especially when such is required on certain topics.

First I'll provide a definition of "succinctly" - said in a clear and short way; expressing what needs to be said without unnecessary words. (In other words, answer the questions w/links, and do not go off on tangents.)
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/succinct

Then to the Forum Rule #14 -

• (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT [highlight]promote[/highlight] the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions which ban handgun carry but not long gun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

The OP was clearly not "promoting" long gun carry - he asked a question or two about laws regarding RKBA in Florida. With some regularity state specific queries of this nature are routinely permitted, insofar as they do not expand beyond the limits of suitability.

I answered with a statement that intended to clear the way for the question(s) to be answered. Plain and simple, while it is great that some have been trying to keep up with the rules, it is not such a good thing to post conflicting information after I have made a called decision. When there is a conflict of interpretation the Moderator's judgement shall prevail.

There is further disappointment in that the OP was sent to another site, not for confirmation, but implying that it could not be handled here at OCDO - he was run off.

If in doubt ask - I do my best to get back to you in a timely fashion.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...There is further disappointment in that the OP was sent to another site, not for confirmation, but implying that it could not be handled here at OCDO - he was run off...

That's pretty much how it looked to me, too, unfortunately.

notalawyer

First I'll provide a definition of "succinctly" - said in a clear and short way; expressing what needs to be said without unnecessary words. (In other words, answer the questions w/links, and do not go off on tangents.)
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/succinct

Then to the Forum Rule #14 -

• (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT [highlight]promote[/highlight] the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions which ban handgun carry but not long gun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

The OP was clearly not "promoting" long gun carry - he asked a question or two about laws regarding RKBA in Florida. With some regularity state specific queries of this nature are routinely permitted, insofar as they do not expand beyond the limits of suitability.

I answered with a statement that intended to clear the way for the question(s) to be answered. Plain and simple, while it is great that some have been trying to keep up with the rules, it is not such a good thing to post conflicting information after I have made a called decision. When there is a conflict of interpretation the Moderator's judgement shall prevail.

There is further disappointment in that the OP was sent to another site, not for confirmation, but implying that it could not be handled here at OCDO - he was run off.

If in doubt ask - I do my best to get back to you in a timely fashion.

No, he was recommended to visit a site that is more likely able to provide a comprehensive answer, without concern for violating vacillating forum rules interpretations.

But now that the rule has been clarified, in this instance, I might draft up a succinct reply. However I'm not sure that will be possible without expanding beyond the limits of suitability.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No, he was recommended to visit a site that is more likely able to provide a comprehensive answer, without concern for violating vacillating forum rules interpretations.

But now that the rule has been clarified, in this instance, I might draft up a succinct reply. However I'm not sure that will be possible without expanding beyond the limits of suitability.
OCDO rules and decisions are hardly "vacillating." There are those few that would have every possible circumstance covered and printed on acid free paper - that isn't going to happen; however, the rules, decisions and clarifications have been quite consistant, even exceptionally so.

This is not a new interpertation. The rule clearly refers to "promoting" OC (carry on ones person) of long guns - I even highlighted it for you.

The OP primary point was going to the range with the long guns in his truck. Obviously, they need to be carried in some fashion to his truck and to the range when he gets there. Plus the question of stopping on the way to get a drink - how they should be stored/transported.

I think the problem stems from your lack of understanding what the rule means. That frankly surprises me considering how long your have been here.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

Gee, why not try?

Hasn't the moderator been MORE than accommodating??

Do you enjoy conflict just for the sake of conflict?

notalawyer

Gee, why not try?

Gee, why not try?
Reading comprehension issues?
"I might draft up a succinct reply. However I'm not sure that will be possible without expanding beyond the limits of suitability."

Up to now, in this thread, sure. But we will have to see after (and only after) any reply I might offer.

No, I just like consistency. Have not seen much of that recently.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Reading comprehension issues?
"I might draft up a succinct reply. However I'm not sure that will be possible without expanding beyond the limits of suitability."

Up to now, in this thread, sure. But we will have to see after (and only after) any reply I might offer.

No, I just like consistency. Have not seen much of that recently.

Have tried to explain in a straight forward manner. Word games like this wear thin, I will play the game no longer.

Either do or don't.

You show no good faith, then insult the forum.