Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns on campus could end nuke research at ISU...

Guns on campus could end nuke research at ISU...

http://keci.m0bl.net/r/1tn2re #NBCMT

*Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter says Idaho State University could lose its license to conduct nuclear research from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission if a bill to allow concealed weapons on college campuses becomes law.** *Otter says ISU President Arthur Vailas told him that the commission has a zero tolerance policy regarding weapons at licensed nuclear research facilities.** *The Idaho State Journal reports (http://bit.ly/1e3nJrk) that Otter made the comments Friday while meeting with ISU's College Republicans.** *A bill allowing concealed weapons on Idaho's college campuses passed the Senate 25-10 Tuesday and is headed for the House.** *Otter declined to say Friday whether he would sign or veto the bill should it arrive on his desk.** *Vailas says much of the school's research portfolio is in the nuclear energy field.
    "Never belittle someone for carrying a small firearm. Commend them for carrying a firearm."
    -OpenCarry.org member MAC702

Believe nothing heard or read without verifying it oneself unless it fits ones pre-existing worldview.

https://forms.nrc.gov/security.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Sounds like the good governor is building up a case for a veto.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 02-23-2014 at 07:27 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I looked thru the information on the link and couldn't find anything regarding firearms. My personal thoughts are that they may be able to limit within the portion of the school dedicated to the research but not to the general population of the school. I think it is being exaggerated.

The Governor previously stated he would sign the bill.
    Last edited by carracer; 02-23-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

This implies there are no doors/gates between the existing useless "gun-free zone" sign at the main gates and the licensed nuclear research facility building. Are you telling me that anyone on campus can access that building?

We obviously have to ignore the elephant in the room that we can trust someone not to blow up Idaho by misusing their research, but we can't trust them to carry a defensive sidearm while not doing that.
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-23-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    We obviously have to ignore the elephant in the room that we can trust someone not to blow up Idaho by misusing their research, but we can't trust them to carry a defensive sidearm while not doing that.
    Nonsense. It's established fact that government employees are immune to human failings.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Sounds like the good governor is building up a case for a veto.
    May backfire as liberal, anti-nuke people might say GOOD, pass the law.

The facility is only in one building. The rule is for safety reasons, as nuclear piles and bullets don't mix.

Solution: Prohibit carry in that one building.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    The facility is only in one building. The rule is for safety reasons, as nuclear piles and bullets don't mix.

Audio only:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0sH1C_XBc
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post

I'm curious... would a pike of nuclear material ignite or combust or I believe the appropriate word is react from a bullet?

Mythbusters!!!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    I'm curious... would a pike of nuclear material ignite or combust or I believe the appropriate word is react from a bullet?
    It would splatter all over. Do you know how hard it was to get it into the pile the first time?

Banned
    I doubt that anyone who wanted to tamper with any nuclear device would really pay much attention to the fact that they cannot carry a .22 pistol around ...

I am amazed that a hoary old veteran of Afgan/IraX conflicts (as we are frequently reminded) would not associate nuclear material with depleted uranium.

The physical properties of HEU and DU are identical, only the nuclear properties are different.

The Idaho university reactor is an forty year old AGW-201 sub-kilowatt UO2 in polyethylene air cooled reactor. For scale, a horsepower is 745 watts.

During the day, doors to the building were unlocked. The doors to the nuclear engineering laboratory, which houses the reactor, were wide open and unlocked. The door to the reactor room itself was locked, but had two narrow glass windows through which the Fellows could see and videotape the reactor. Doors to the engineering building were locked at night. http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Loos...tory?id=988649
    The issue here is, what constitutes a "reactor." A large test source, as for medical imaging or metallurgy, is a greater hazard, as the scrap-metal incidents in Mexico have demonstrated.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 03-01-2014 at 07:38 AM.

It's only half true....................

See here:

http://www.idahoreporter.com/2014/oo...ctly-accurate/

Cnon

Quote Originally Posted by Cnon View Post
    It's only half true. See here: http://www.idahoreporter.com/2014/oo...ctly-accurate/ Cnon
    Yes, and the University of Utah's TRIGA 100kW LEU is arguably more a real nuclear reactor than the ISU AGW flux source.

In the early days, with the original fuel loading, TRIGA's could be pulsed to 20,000 MWth. Contrast that with AGW's <1 kW.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Believe nothing heard or read without verifying it oneself unless it fits ones pre-existing worldview.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 03-02-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnon View Post
    It's only half true....................

See here:
    http://www.idahoreporter.com/2014/oo...ctly-accurate/

Cnon
    Welcome to OCDO Cnon - informative first post.

Media spin (lies?) paints a very distorted image - whereas just the facts (truth) will suffice, thank you.

BTW - does your screen name allude to your not carrying? That is not a complaint or negative, just curious - each person must decide what is right for them....if that choice is available to them.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-02-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

A "Cnon" has 150 posts since 06-04-2012 at USACarry.com

Question Nuke and concealed carry

As I understand it, Idaho does not prohibit licensed carry on campus (correct me if in error)...so how would they know that there are no guns there NOW?

Is the issue the presence of guns on campus or the legislation and the fear mongering pressure on the legislators.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Is the issue the presence of guns on campus or the legislation and the fear mongering pressure on the legislators.

Exactly destroy the illusion that schools and UWs have to be gun free and the antis loose a huge battle field and a place to poison the minds of the young.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Post The only ones that seem against this bill are liberals

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Exactly destroy the illusion that schools and UWs have to be gun free and the antis loose a huge battle field and a place to poison the minds of the young.

Exactly, couldn't have said it better. The only ones that seem against this bill are liberals.

Cnon

Passed !!! Ready for signing!
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    I'm curious... would a pile of nuclear material ignite or combust or I believe the appropriate word is react from a bullet?
    Combust or ignite? No. If anything, a lead bullet splashed over the outside of the pile would make it safer -- lead blocks radiation, after all.

People have died of dropping things into nuclear reactors -- there was a guy who fatally irradiated himself when he fumbled a brick of tungsten carbide at one point during the Manhattan Project, but nuclear reactors are by and large sturdy things, bullets don't really have any effect on them.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    Combust or ignite? No. If anything, a lead bullet splashed over the outside of the pile would make it safer -- lead blocks radiation, after all.

People have died of dropping things into nuclear reactors -- there was a guy who fatally irradiated himself when he fumbled a brick of tungsten carbide at one point during the Manhattan Project, but nuclear reactors are by and large sturdy things, bullets don't really have any effect on them.

"Somethings in here don't react to well to bullets"
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    "Somethings in here don't react to well to bullets"
    Coolent lines for one, I should think.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast