Thread: What defines open carry in Kansas City Missouri?

What defines open carry in Kansas City Missouri?

I bought my first gun awhile ago and would like to be able to carry it around. The only holster I have for it is a pocket holster. The gun is a revolver and when inserted into the pocket holster the cylinder, butt and hammer can still be seen. Really the only part obscured is the barrel (5 - 1/2 in.). Is it legal to carry this way?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf J Flywheel View Post
    I bought my first gun awhile ago and would like to be able to carry it around. The only holster I have for it is a pocket holster. The gun is a revolver and when inserted into the pocket holster the cylinder, butt and hammer can still be seen. Really the only part obscured is the barrel (5 - 1/2 in.). Is it legal to carry this way?
    While open carry is generally legal in Missouri, their preemption statute is unique in that it preempts the entire field of firearms lawexcept for the regulation of open carry. Consequently, carrying openly in Missouri will expose you to a checkerboard of local ordinances.
    http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=263

Not at all sure how you "pocket carry" a revolver with a 5 1/2" barrel, nor how such a holster would safely protect such a gun.

Confusion reins supreme - perhaps you have a picture?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

In KC MO, open carry is legal, no confusion on that. If you have a CCW endorsement, you are cooking with gas. If you don't, concealed is poorly defined in the RsMO and I'm not sure if you want to be a test case.

Having said that, your choice of holster sounds less than ideal from both a safety and retention standpoint. You might want to rethink your choice of holster.

Having said all of this, please do nothing to rock the boat. We are very close to getting some legislation finished that, while not perfect, helps to restore some of the rights that have been taken from us. History has shown us that it only takes one moron to derail things.

Edit: added last paragraph.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kcgunfan; 02-23-2014 at 06:10 PM.

It takes politicians to derail things, not a citizen exercising his rights, don't let anyone tell you different.

Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    History has shown us that it only takes one moron to derail things.
    THAT statement is FALSE......It takes more than one moron, and WHEN it does fail.... people LOVE to be able to blame someone. Especially those who sit and watch things happen.... then cry out what the $#%^$$# happened.
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    It takes politicians to derail things, not a citizen exercising his rights, don't let anyone tell you different.
    Couldn't agree more......
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

While this is 100% accurate, that doesn't mean we should not use caution in our current political climate. While it may be totally legal for someone to OC in an area, that does not necessarily make it wise. Politicians respond to pressure, both positive and negative. Negative pressure from their constituents due to media fallout over an OC incident could destroy years of work put in by many people, both on this board and not.

So please, if you have any doubt, currently it's better to err on the side of caution with regards to OC.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf J Flywheel View Post
    There is no statement in MO that says this is Open Carry vs Concealed Carry. It is a fine line and be honest, probably open to various interpretations by judges throughout the state.

JMHO...with what you have have stated, I wouldn't pocket carry that firearm and consider it Open Carry. My guess, most LEOs would interpret it to be CC and then let the judge to confirm or not. All the while causing you grief and money. Just my $.02.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    While this is 100% accurate, that doesn't mean we should not use caution in our current political climate. While it may be totally legal for someone to OC in an area, that does not necessarily make it wise. Politicians respond to pressure, both positive and negative. Negative pressure from their constituents due to media fallout over an OC incident could destroy years of work put in by many people, both on this board and not.

So please, if you have any doubt, currently it's better to err on the side of caution with regards to OC.
    Yeah, I know.

I've be "keeping a low profile" for the past two years. Yet, keeping a low profile certainly has not stopped the Jeff City denizens from not getting the job done. It seems there are rumbles that another year may come and go with zero advancements for the better.

Are the Jeff City denizens play us? Hopefully not.....we shall see.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Yeah, I know.

I've be "keeping a low profile" for the past two years. Yet, keeping a low profile certainly has not stopped the Jeff City denizens from not getting the job done. It seems there are rumbles that another year may come and go with zero advancements for the better.

Are the Jeff City denizens play us? Hopefully not.....we shall see.
    I don't disagree in the slightest. And as you say, we shall see. All I know is that we are considerably closer now than we've ever been before.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds