Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Controversial "common grand-law jury" move emerges in Dorchester, state. Chuckton P&C

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,156

    Controversial "common-law grand jury" move emerges in Dorchester, state. Chuckton P&C

    "Lorilei Perry, a Summerville stay-at-home mom, has joined a small but fervent cadre of organizers trying to establish common-law grand juries in counties around the country, under the auspices of the National Liberty Association. The juries would be made up of volunteer groups of citizens who hear cases on their own, then press local prosecutors for indictments."

    http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...ilante-justice

    If you go

    WHAT: Informational meeting, election for "the reinstatement of a Dorchester County Common Law Grand Jury" and registration for the jury.

    WHEN: 6 p.m. March 4.

    WHERE: Dorchester County Public Library, 76 Trolley Road, Summerville.

    MORE INFORMATION: nationallibertyalliance.org.
    http://www.libertyfederation.com/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-23-2014 at 06:03 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    300
    It's interesting that "officials" are keeping a distance. They have quite a monopoly on power and wouldn't want to give it up anytime soon. Maybe they are just waiting for the movement to wear itself out? Or waiting for one of them to really screw up and take them all down at one time?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Anyone can go to the DA and ask for an arrest.

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Anyone can go to the DA and ask for an arrest.
    Why would anyone go out of state to pursue such?

    Not all states have DAs (elected) - some have PAs (appointed), though the terms are sometimes found to mean the same, dependent on where you are.
    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...ting+Attorneys
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Why press a prosecutor for indictments? Is this just a way to see more people indicted (rather than a reform of who is indicted and for what)? Why not turn to a grand jury in all cases? Prosecutors aren't even needed until after the indictment is delivered.

    Way to miss the point.
    Last edited by marshaul; 02-23-2014 at 03:14 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Maybe, not enough of a certain population demographic is being indicted often enough for these folks. Or, maybe those folks are tired of plea deals. It could even be that these folks are tired of the monopoly that CA/DA/PAs have on putting obvious BGs behind bars.

    Oh, all CA/DA/PAs are political creatures, unacceptably so.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    134

    which is,.............

    in my opinion, one of the biggest problems with our system of justice. We put all the power of deciding whether or not to prosecute into the hands of one person. Often, that person is swayed by a personal or political agenda which is not necessarily in strict compliance with the law. That smacks of too much power in the hands of too few for justice to be available to all. Even the power of the SCOTUS is vested in several, not in one alone.
    Last edited by RK3369; 02-26-2014 at 11:44 AM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    No sense in prosecuting (spending money, taking courtroom time) if there is not a very high likelihood of success. Or, the prosecution meets/exceeds their political agenda goals, as you correctly point out.

    All prosecutors must be elected, not appointed.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    No sense in prosecuting (spending money, taking courtroom time) if there is not a very high likelihood of success. Or, the prosecution meets/exceeds their political agenda goals, as you correctly point out.

    All prosecutors must be elected, not appointed.
    I did not find reference to all prosecutors in SC must be elected - that may be the case for state and municipal entities.

    Prosecutors are most often chosen through local elections. United States Attorneys represent the federal government in federal court, in both civil and criminal cases. Private attorneys general can bring criminal cases on behalf of private parties in some states.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosecutor

    West Virginia Code 7-4-6 delineates the fundamentals of our mission:
    • Provide Special Prosecutors where Elected Prosecutors of West Virginia are unable to serve

    http://www.pai.wv.gov/Pages/default.aspx
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Why press a prosecutor for indictments? Is this just a way to see more people indicted (rather than a reform of who is indicted and for what)? Why not turn to a grand jury in all cases? Prosecutors aren't even needed until after the indictment is delivered.
    If a prosecutor isn't needed until after an indictment is delivered, who does the indicting? Depending on the locality, they may be better off asking a magistrate, (but I'm not familiar with the specifics.)
    I would think that they want to correct a situation where they believe that certain classes of people have no fear of being indicted for their actions because of a "we take care of our own" mentality.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 02-27-2014 at 11:37 AM.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    If a prosecutor isn't needed until after an indictment is delivered, who does the indicting? Depending on the locality, they may be better off asking a magistrate, (but I'm not familiar with the specifics.)
    I would think that they want to correct a situation where they believe that certain classes of people have no fear of being indicted for their actions because of a "we take care of our own" mentality.
    Under the common law, the grand jury is fully empowered to undertake everything from hearing a complaint, to conducting an investigation based on that complaint, to delivering an indictment based on their own investigation.

    It still happens every so often, although prosecutors now call it a "runaway jury" as they seem to believe that the prosecutor should be the sole judge of criminal culpability.

  12. #12
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I did not find reference to all prosecutors in SC must be elected - that may be the case for state and municipal entities.

    Prosecutors are most often chosen through local elections. United States Attorneys represent the federal government in federal court, in both civil and criminal cases. Private attorneys general can bring criminal cases on behalf of private parties in some states.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosecutor

    West Virginia Code 7-4-6 delineates the fundamentals of our mission:
    • Provide Special Prosecutors where Elected Prosecutors of West Virginia are unable to serve

    http://www.pai.wv.gov/Pages/default.aspx
    Because they are not all elected. They all must be elected.

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Because they are not all elected. They all must be elected.
    By George, I do believe I've got it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •