• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On the lighter side...

chaseget83

All this discussion going on about legal and political goings on is very important and I am grateful for it as I am learning a whole lot. I hope I'm not showing my newness too much by asking a question that is either inappropriate, not allowed, or just plain dumb but I was curious what you guys that have been involved in the OC/CC world longer than I have choose to carry day to day. If my question crosses any lines please feel free to say so. Have a great day and be safe.

Primus

Glock 23 in blade tech nano holster. IWB appendix carry or in a Serpa holster with spare mag.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

solus

welcome to the forum.

start putting away a couple of bucks for youre new firearm now...

do not buy the first something from the nice gun salesperson who states...'this is what you need!!' it won't be, honest!

do not listen to your friends BS about which firearm is the greatest, best shootingest, carry firearm in the world. put it into the perspective of the fish that got away was this big |<..............................>| or how good looking their last date was!

take an unbiased and professionally taught basic pistol course from your local NRA instructor to get acclimated to firearm safety, handling, shooting, as well as how to maintain your investment. http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

just like you wouldn't buy a suit with trying it on, visit your local gun shops that 'rent/loan' firearms to their customers to use on their ranges. take advantage of the experience to find a firearm that fits your hand to the point you would want it to defend your life and those of your loved ones.

the internet is your friend...start cruising for firearm reviews - again some are paid for by the manufacturer so a grain of salt goes a long way.

now should you start looking for what you believe you wish to carry. if you are short of cash, look at used - disregard comments about taking someone else's troubles...i have had to return numerous brand new firearms to the manufacturer for repair because they were defective out of the box.

check Buds as they have some of the best prices around but damn they need to get their processing time under control!!

hey welcome again

ipse

Last edited:

Superlite27

^ +1. This is excellent advice. There are pro's and con's to different types of firearms. Taking advice such as "This is what you need" or "This is better than that" negates any individual preference of the qualities that are important to you: the one who will be using it.

As stated above, I would try different models and styles at a range in order to form an educated opinion. Most ranges have an inexpensive rental program where you can shoot various models, usually around $10 plus ammo.

However, I would couple this with doing a little research about reputable manufacturers. Most big name manufacturers have become so because of their quality.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO Chase. Read a lot. Listen a lot. Go to gun shows, gun shops, pawn shops (i but a great deal of weapons from pawn shops) and put as many weapons in your hand as you can. Eventually you will find "the One". The One that fits your hand like it was made for YOU. Everything else will come along with that, but the most important thing I have found was fit. If the weapon does not feel comfortable in your hand you will not get comfortable shooting it. Just like shoes or a shirt, it has to fit.

Most of all relax and enjoy the Freedom.

chaseget83

Wow guys Thanks for the welcome and great advice. I am already a gun owner and believe have found "the one" at least as far as full size goes. I am a big frame guy standing a little over 6' and 220 lbs with fairly large mits so after a decent amount of research and trial I chose a Ruger p89dc which I've had for almost ten years and sent thousands of rounds down range. Absolutely love it but am gong to start CC and not sure if full size is the way to go. Seeing as how much knowledge and experience is available here I thought it'd be a good starting point. Sorry for the confusion. And thanks again this site is great. Keep up the awesome work.

Primus

Wow guys Thanks for the welcome and great advice. I am already a gun owner and believe have found "the one" at least as far as full size goes. I am a big frame guy standing a little over 6' and 220 lbs with fairly large mits so after a decent amount of research and trial I chose a Ruger p89dc which I've had for almost ten years and sent thousands of rounds down range. Absolutely love it but am gong to start CC and not sure if full size is the way to go. Seeing as how much knowledge and experience is available here I thought it'd be a good starting point. Sorry for the confusion. And thanks again this site is great. Keep up the awesome work.

Depends on your version of "full size". I'm about 5'8" 200 and in able to conceal the G23 appendix style with no one being the wiser. If your standing straight on can't tell and definitely can't tell from the back. Works well in the summer with just a t shirt. The only piece that pokes out is the 2 loops for the holster, and most people think its a phone holster.

I do every day so I find it pretty comfortable. Sometimes in long rides in the truck it needs some "adjusting" and minor at that.

I don't know if you could get away with doing that with a 1911, mine I just use in an owb holster.

Important note... if you choose to go that route spend ALOT of time at home or the range drawing and putting back (dry fire) then work up to draw and shoot. Its a different animal if your used to OCing. But its well worth it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

lucas340

With the right holster and clothing you can conceal a full size pistol. I carry a full sized springfield xd in a galco kingtuk iwb at 3 O'clock and conceal with just a T-shirt. I'm 6' 270 #

chaseget83

That's cool to know guys. I will now reconsider purchasing a smaller gun and try out a setup with my current one as I am already comfortable with it's feel in my hand. And the practicing is always solid advice. Thanks a bunch and as always please feel free to add anything.

OC for ME

Try to minimize the number of different calibers of your weapons. I have three handgun calibers and two rifle calibers. All shotguns are 12GA. I'm trying to get down to two handgun calibers and maintain to rifle calibers. Other than this, buy what you want, like, or can afford.

I choose .40 and .45, 5.56 NATO/.223, and .243 Winchester, two weights, one for coyote and one for deer. Shotgun is duck, buck, and home defense.