Thread: Old Dominion University Student Dead After Attack

Old Dominion University Student Dead After Attack

Just thought I would share this with everyone, as I don't believe it has received wide coverage (yet). If only we could carry on campus. For those of you unfamiliar, this happened within sight distance of the school (just across the street).

http://wavy.com/2014/02/23/odu-stude...d-near-campus/

"...Norfolk Police said Johnson was hit by a suspect while walking along the 1000 block of W. 48th Street. According to an ODU campus alert, the incident happened around 1 a.m. at 4814 Hampton Blvd. A spokesperson for the university confirmed the Johnson was a student..."
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    Just thought I would share this with everyone, as I don't believe it has received wide coverage (yet). If only we could carry on campus. For those of you unfamiliar, this happened within sight distance of the school (just across the street).

http://wavy.com/2014/02/23/odu-stude...d-near-campus/

"...Norfolk Police said Johnson was hit by a suspect while walking along the 1000 block of W. 48th Street. According to an ODU campus alert, the incident happened around 1 a.m. at 4814 Hampton Blvd. A spokesperson for the university confirmed the Johnson was a student..."
    Pretty sad!

Attended two open carry meetings a few years ago off of ODU to talk about the crime and danger around ODU. What I learned was that

1) ODU has a housing shortage.
    2) Students are housed off campus.
    3) ODU will expel students caught exercising their 2nd A rights.
    4) The area around ODU is very dangerous after dark.
    5) Many classes end after dark.
    6) ODU students going back to their rooms after dark are easy prey for criminals.

Looks like nothing has changed except the ODU gun free policy death toll.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

In the linked report, I noticed the comments of ODU President Broderick:
    ODU President John R. Broderick issued the following statement after Monday’s arrests:
    Words cannot express our shock and grief at the senseless loss of ODU student Paul Johnson. Such violence has no place in education, and the Old Dominion community will not tolerate it. I am extremely grateful to the Norfolk Police, and their joint investigative efforts with ODU Police that led to the quick arrests of two suspects. I also want to acknowledge the many students who provided information and assistance to the investigation. Our work, however, does not and will not end here. The City of Norfolk and Old Dominion have pledged to work with the campus and neighboring communities to address issues of concern.

Spare me your crocodile tears, President Broderick. You and the Board of Visitors have ensured that the assailants could be certain that Mr. Johnson would be unarmed and defenseless. Of course, I am not saying that the outcome would have been different had Mr. Johnson been armed. I am saying that the possibility of his being armed might have inhibited the assailants from such a brazen attack.

Oh, yeah, I am sure that you are always grateful to the Norfolk and ODU Police, who always show up quickly to remove the dead body and clean up the crime scene. Make sure that you tell that to Mr. Johnson's parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Attended two open carry meetings a few years ago off of ODU to talk about the crime and danger around ODU. What I learned was that

1) ODU has a housing shortage.
    2) Students are housed off campus.
    3) ODU will expel students caught exercising their 2nd A rights.
    4) The area around ODU is very dangerous after dark.
    5) Many classes end after dark.
    6) ODU students going back to their rooms after dark are easy prey for criminals.

Looks like nothing has changed except the ODU gun free policy death toll.
    Thundar and I attended those meetings with a pro 2A student. The student had tried to drum up some support on campus, but it was not to be. The sheep seemed quite happy to sacrifice a fellow sheep every now and then, rather than permit a few sheepdogs to be among them.

And the body count just keeps going up ... and it is almost always the same M.O.

I work fairly close to ODU. I open carry there during my lunch hour whenever time permits.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    I work fairly close to ODU. I open carry there during my lunch hour whenever time permits.
    Yeah, the no firearms policy only applies to students and faculty... the general public can go about their day and if I read this correctly then if you are a CHP holder you can even carry in to buildings. In the past I've had to take a class or two on ODU campus which let out after dark... what they didn't know didn't hurt them. I'd rather risk expulsion than lose my life. Glad that's all behind me now.

http://ww2.odu.edu/ao/facultyhandboo...e=ch06s17.html