• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in a no carry zone?

Kc.38

Does anyone know of someone who has been charged for carrying in a no-carry zone in Wi since 2011? I am mainly interested in places like malls, stores or local business's with the gun buster signs. I will ask now as long as it is a little slow on the forum lately.

JJC

Does anyone know of someone who has been charged for carrying in a no-carry zone in Wi since 2011? I am mainly interested in places like malls, stores or local business's with the gun buster signs. I will ask now as long as it is a little slow on the forum lately.

The only thing I've heard about (the individual was not charged) was the Aldi's shooting a while back. (Quite a while back).

MKEgal

Since it's a ticket, there's unlikely to be a record publicly accessable.

There was the Milwaukee cop who didn't use a holster, went to a posted mall, dropped his pistol, and in grabbing for it discharged it, injuring a woman.
AFAIK he was eventually charged for the ND, but nothing came of the trespass.
The police chief (who is very anti-armed citizen) insisted it was a 'training issue' and should be dealt with by the department.
I'm just waiting for some normal person to have a similar problem, then we can remind the prosecutor of how the police chief thinks such things should be dealt with.

pkbites

Since it's a ticket, there's unlikely to be a record publicly accessable.

It's a state forfeiture. So technically only state law enforcement can charge it that way. A municipality would have to adopt it as an ordinance to enforce it.
If charged state it would be on CCAP. Unfortunately most locals don't have their municipal courts on the web so cases can't be looked up that way.
Milwaukee municipal court is, though.

There was the Milwaukee cop who didn't use a holster, went to a posted mall, dropped his pistol, and in grabbing for it discharged it, injuring a woman.
AFAIK he was eventually charged for the ND, but nothing came of the trespass.
The police chief (who is very anti-armed citizen) insisted it was a 'training issue' and should be dealt with by the department.
I'm just waiting for some normal person to have a similar problem, then we can remind the prosecutor of how the police chief thinks such things should be dealt with.

Thing is, some agencies, including MPD, have policies that basically make an officer on duty at all times, which would make it difficult to charge a trespass on that case. It's the ND that is the truly outrageous issue.