• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit Police

bb

All the DPD stations have NO FIREARMS ALLOWED on entrance doors and metal detectors to pass through

Michigander

That is definitely a slap in the face at preemption. They need bullet resistant glass to keep the common areas separated from the closed off parts, just like everyone else.

FreeInAZ

All the DPD stations have NO FIREARMS ALLOWED on entrance doors and metal detectors to pass through

They have been wanting to do this for years and were advised against it by their legal department. Apparently they think now is a good time to fight preemption? Me thinks me smellth a skunk! :(

FreeInAZ

Can you post a picture from your local precinct?

PS - they're broke according to them...so where did the signage and detectors come from....the anti-rights ferry? The plot thickens....

Last edited by a moderator:

Rusty Young Man

PS - their broke according to them...so where did the signage and detectors come from....the anti-rights ferry? The plot thickens....

I believe the anti-Rights ferry is the one that cemented Skidmark and others as 200-pound gorillas in the courts.

Now, the anti-Rights fairy is more commonly known as "sugar-daddy Bloomberg", or more affectionately "Bloomie".

OT: What are the chances of this going to court when another "isolated incident*" occurs, and having a ruling in our favor?

*I mean this in the scientific sense of the word
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...crutiny-Tactics-NRA-ILA&p=2035734#post2035734

Last edited:

Primus

If they already have the sign, why do they need the metal detectors?

Its Detroit.. how many do you think can read?

No offense to any Detroit guys and gals present. Clearly you can read if you read that and took offense.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

FreeInAZ

Maybe - but it still does not make it legal. MCL 123.1102 is very clear. It appears that DPD is attempting to make policy trump law. The MI state legislature has been clear...the state shall occupy the field of firearm regulation in MI, not local units of government.

The incident you link was IMHO, a suicide by cops. The guy was using bird shot...the officers at the station were lucky the perp was no shotgun wizard using 00/000 buck / slugs or dragons breath incendiary rounds, etc...and just a mental case or they'd be pushing up daisy's.

bb

PS - their broke according to them...so where did the signage and detectors come from....the anti-rights ferry? The plot thickens....

It was the central district at woodward and grand boulevard. were you can take the ri60 copy of the pistol sales copy. Any other precient directs you to the central district precient. will take pic and post next time by there

Primus

Maybe - but it still does not make it legal. MCL 123.1102 is very clear. It appears that DPD is attempting to make policy trump law. The MI state legislature has been clear...the state shall occupy the field of firearm regulation in MI, not local units of government.

The incident you link was IMHO, a suicide by cops. The guy was using bird shot...the officers at the station were lucky the perp was no shotgun wizard using 00/000 buck / slugs or dragons breath incendiary rounds, etc...and just a mental case or they'd be pushing up daisy's.

I've seen it happen in the Terminator movie also. I love the argument that one person does something wrong everyone looses their rights and freedoms.

I agree with you guys. I don't think this is a good reason to put up a stupid sign. This isn't a reason for anyone else to lose their rights.

I quoted a very particular comment and posted this. Someone had mentioned using bullet proof glass to separate the citizens from the cops at the station. Was just posting this video to show Detroit has had bad days.

Agrees. Some psycho wanting to go out in a blaze...

Primus

And if that didn't work you would get a nut job like Timothy McVay parking a Ryder truck outside; bullet proof glass would not help in that situation.

True. But those guys are very rare. Remember criminals are lazy. They want soft targets, that's why we carry guns. So it acts a deterrent against all but the extremely smart and motivated.

SD40VE

Appeal to something I can't say or it will be deleted... phht.

apparently this has been in place since the 6th precinct shooting. if you are not familiar with it. some guy came in with a shotgun and open fire on police officers at the desk. yes this falls under MI pre-emption. MOC has reached out to the police about getting the signs removed, they have been pretty resistant to that suggestion. i was told chances are they would need to be sued for the signs to go down.