• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anniversary!!--Writs of Assistance

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Whew! Almost missed it! Hat tip to John Hall at www.fourthamendment.com

Today is the 243rd anniversary of James Otis' arguments against Writs of Assistance in the Paxton case.

A Writ of Assistance was a pre-arranged general search warrant that pre-authorized the king's agents to enter any shop or home and search it for goods upon which taxes had not been paid. No probable cause needed. The agent could call on others nearby to assist him in the search, thus Writs of Assistance.

The previous writ in Paxton's jurisdiction had expired--they expired six months after the king's death. So, the court was considering whether to prevent the writ from being renewed. James Otis just arrived in the court--he represented none of the parties--and argued against the writ on behalf of the people. He went on for something like four hours.

A young lawyer was in the courtroom that day--John Adams. Years later he said the spark of revolution was born that day in that courtroom.

Historians can trace a direct link between that courtroom and the Fourth Amendment. I forget the connection. Perhaps John Adams recommended the 4A to James Madison, or maybe recommended it to his state's committee making up proposals to send to Madison for inclusion in a bill of rights.

The history on this right is interesting, and brief. Well worth taking some time and googling it or checking wiki. For example, contemporaries complained that the searchers were the lowest sort--common, vulgar, rude. You get the idea they were people who couldn't find a productive job doing much else. (Sound familiar?) Also, based on the history, apparently locks were comparatively expensive back then; people complained about broken locks a good bit.

If you have the budget ($20?) there is a good paperback. The Origins of the Bill of Rights by Leonard Levy. There's a bonus--Levy addresses the history of more than just the 4A. Lots of great info in that book.

Finally, I can't say enough about fourthamendment.com. Great blog. Tons of cases. He selects a few recent cases each day and then posts a quick one or two sentences about each. Fair warning, though. Don't blame me if you start losing sleep from reading his blog and seeing what courts are doing to the 4A day in and day out.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

So, no "Terry" stops, random house searches, warrants without a sworn oath or affirmation (of probable cause), etc?

That would be a nice world to live in. What happened to all those liberties/freedom/rights that our former countrymen shed blood for?

stealthyeliminator

+1 James Otis!
+1 Citizen!

Sometimes it amazes me... This, for instance, was only 243 years ago. I've met more than one person who's lived to be over 100 years old. So, we are essentially talking a couple of lifetimes ago. And we are already losing grasp. But with threads like these we can keep holding on!

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

So, no "Terry" stops, random house searches, warrants without a sworn oath or affirmation (of probable cause), etc?

That would be a nice world to live in. What happened to all those liberties/freedom/rights that our former countrymen shed blood for?
Indeed, 1771 would have been a much nicer world than our post 1776 one.

Math is a funny thing when you use it.

Last edited:

OC for ME

So, where's the party and will beer be provided or must I bring my own?

Not much has changed in 243 years it seems, except for the "calling on others" part. Cops, nor the IRS, will call your neighbor to assist them in trampling your rights, especially the trampling of that pretty much useless, at this point, 4A right.

I suggest that the MA forum members Google the 4A and see if their local LEAs were in compliance with the law of their state and the intent of the concept put forth by the 4A. I'll wager that they will not need Google to determine that the 4A is pretty much a topic for their coffee clatch.

davidmcbeth

Banned
+1 James Otis!
+1 Citizen!

Sometimes it amazes me... This, for instance, was only 243 years ago. I've met more than one person who's lived to be over 100 years old. So, we are essentially talking a couple of lifetimes ago. And we are already losing grasp. But with threads like these we can keep holding on!

A generation is generally considered to be 20 yrs....so a dozen have past. Folks who live to 100? Lucky or unlucky depending on those last 20 or 30 yrs.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
+1 James Otis!
+1 Citizen!

But it is 12 generations. So, every 20 years the government through the public school system gets to brainwash a new batch of our kids.

The Fourth Amendment is almost gone, unfortunately it's going to be a huge battle to get it back.

Saul Alinsky is alive and well.....

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Mission completed? The gist of your post.
The powers that be control both sides of the equation. They would love an armed uprising in this country.

Remember, Deutsche bank and Volkswagen, for example, existed before WWII and still exist today.

"...the State 'has the supreme right against the individual, whose supreme duty is to be a member of the State... for the right of the world spirit is above all special privileges.'" Author/historian William Shirer, quoting Georg Hegel in his book The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

If (A) my idea of freedom conflicts with (B) your idea of freedom then (C) neither of us can be free until everyone agrees to be a slave.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

I knew that "generation" would be wrong, since I didn't know how they're usually considered (now I do though, thanks), so that is why I said lifetime instead

I would agree that the public school system is both a huge problem in and of itself as well as a large contributor to other serious problems in society.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Not only has this spark of the revolution been turned on it's head by the powers to be, they have effectively abolished the 3rd amendment and the part of the declaration where the officers eat out our sustenance, with their standing army of redcoats I mean blue coats.