Thread: Independence Twsp, Michigan man fatally shoots self teaching gun safety

Independence Twsp, Michigan man fatally shoots self teaching gun safety

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Centurion
    Police say he placed the first two guns to his head and pulled the triggers once each, but the third gun fired. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
    Yep, that is the proper way to do a chamber check as I was taught!

Almost as effective as playing Russian roulette with a SEMI-AUTOMATIC!!!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

got what he deserved.

He got what he deserved. Basic firearm safety. Always treat a firearm as if it's loaded, and never point a firearm at anything you don't intend on killing. My 2 year old nephew knows these rules and repeats them to me every time he sees me carrying.

FUQ -

"A 36-year-old Michigan man is dead after shooting himself in the head while teaching a girlfriend how to handle pistols.

The Oakland County sheriff's office says alcohol appears to have been a factor in the man’s death Sunday night in his Independence Township home, northwest of Detroit."

Poor judgement & pistols in the hands of someone clearly drunk = recipe for disaster. In this case the outcome was predictable. I feel bad for the people who loved this guy. Clearly he had some issues.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Kind of like the suicide bomber instructor who says I'll only show you this once.

But this idiot did it three times.

Makes me wonder if it was actually a suicide that the girl friend is trying to cover up as a unintentional discharge.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Banned
    Lesson 1 complete.

A redneck's last words....."Hold my beer, and watch this."

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Makes me wonder if it was actually a suicide that the girl friend is trying to cover up as a unintentional discharge.
    That's exactly a possibility I immediately thought about, too. Or, suicide *she* didn't know about, but he did while making it seem like an "accident".

I find it hard to believe that anyone who points a gun to their own head and pulls the trigger does NOT have some suicidal thoughts, tendencies, or intentions.
    Last edited by DanM; 02-26-2014 at 02:09 AM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    That's exactly a possibility I immediately thought about, too. Or, suicide *she* didn't know about, but he did while making it seem like an "accident".

I find it hard to believe that anyone who points a gun to their own head and pulls the trigger does NOT have some suicidal thoughts, tendencies, or intentions.
    Agreed.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Proof that there is a cure for stupidity.

More information:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4853983.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Proof that there is a cure for stupidity.

More information:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4853983.html
    Unfortunately it cost 50 cents to a buck for it to happen, depending on type and caliber of ammo.....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Unfortunately it cost 50 cents to a buck for it to happen, depending on type and caliber of ammo.....

.06 cents if you reload.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

Quote Originally Posted by OneForAll View Post
    .06 cents if you reload.
    Damn.. I need to finish buying the stuff and reload.

"The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Well,,,

You dont need .06$ bullets to off yourself...

IF YOU Own a 1,000 dollar bullet,,, and want to go out with a BANG!!!

Well like they always say,,,, You Cant take it with You....

Cant really think of a guy wanting to shoot himself, but then thinking, well, its sooo expensive....
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Tough bunch here, but I think the morgue humor has a valid point - one cannot stop someone bent on suicide nor can you teach someone saftey after they have made a fatal mistake.

What we hope to do by posting and discussing these stories is to cause people to stop and think - follow religiously the safety rules of handling and owning guns.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Tough bunch here, but I think the morgue humor has a valid point - one cannot stop someone bent on suicide nor can you teach someone saftey after they have made a fatal mistake.

What we hope to do by posting and discussing these stories is to cause people to stop and think - follow religiously the safety rules of handling and owning guns.
    Well said.

My only issue is this story was portrayed as if he was some firearms instructor formally teaching a student. He wasn't. He was a drunk bf showing off to his girlfriend. He probably wasn't very safe in the first place, then you add alcohol and women.... and BANG..... no pun intended.

I spend a lot if time at a few different ranges and IRS scary what some of the guys I see do when their women are around.

Last week had a guy load a gun give it to his girl (zero period of instruction). Well someone called the range clear. Everyone put their guns down except..... her. She just held it down and off the side. The guy started making his way down range until I yelled for him to stop abs pointed out her saving the loaded gun in her hand around.... scary.

The national news headline was expanded beyond quotation by including the township.

The gun safety precept is not about killing. Read more, think more, write more carefully with consideration.

For the newbies; the mnemonic is LOADED, MUZZLE, TRIGGER & TARGET. All guns are LOADED until they are not. Cover with the MUZZLE that only which would be destroyed. Keep your finger off of the TRIGGER. Know your TARGET and what is beyond.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.