Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Gun-free Zones": how to handle them?

"Gun-free Zones": how to handle them?

In my few weeks of carrying, I haven't yet noticed that it is banned at any of the places I've been. But I'm trying to figure out what to do if some place I go has such a policy.

I figure there are two basic options: leave your firearm in your vehicle, or just leave that place. The second is pretty easy. But the first is more complex. In my case, I often go places on my motorcycle, so there's nowhere to put my firearm. So would I only be left with option 2? Or can I just go in, taking the chance that I will be noticed and asked to leave?

How do/would you handle such an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT319 View Post
    ... can I just go in, taking the chance that I will be noticed and asked to leave?

The legal answer will vary by state. In Nevada, you have this option, yes. I don't know about Oregon.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I've seen someone say that such signs have no legal bearing in Oregon. That it only sets the basis for them trespassing you. I'm just trying to figure out if that's a reasonable approach to the issue, or if it's just better to take my business elsewhere.

Centurion
    I've seen someone say that such signs have no legal bearing in Oregon. That it only sets the basis for them trespassing you. I'm just trying to figure out if that's a reasonable approach to the issue, or if it's just better to take my business elsewhere.
    I have heard several reports of OC'ers leaving the full cart right where it is when they are confronted and immediately leaving the store.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    I have heard several reports of OC'ers leaving the full cart right where it is when they are confronted and immediately leaving the store.
    Another variant of this is the "return": if you've already paid for the items but the store makes it clear they do not respect your RKBA, ask to return the items for a refund. This shows them how their anti-Right policy hurts their business, and more so when they have to re-stock the items.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Try not to over think it. Just go about your business like usual, and leave if asked. In four years I've only had one store in WA have a problem, I brought it up with the owner and it was fixed quickly. Also a lot of your questions would be best answered in the OR sub-forum. Just relax, and carry-on (legally).
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...php?121-Oregon
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Quite right too. Any business that does not respect the right of the citizen to bear arms should not get money. As soon as I can afford to return to the U.S I will do so and I will have a strict 'no guns, no business' policy.

Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    Quite right too. Any business that does not respect the right of the citizen to bear arms should not get money. As soon as I can afford to return to the U.S I will do so and I will have a strict 'no guns, no business' policy.
    I really need to make up some "no guns, no business" cards for when I come across such a place.

The fact I will have to spend a fortune on licences to exercise an automatic right makes me want to choke

The fact I will have to spend a fortune on licenses to exercise an automatic right makes me want to choke
    Then don't. OC is legal in just about every state without a license.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
    In his state, not being licensed will be a major pain in the ass, unfortunately, as they require a license to continue your OC while in a vehicle.

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't see the "United Kingdom" part of the location.
    Last edited by MAC702; 03-22-2014 at 08:01 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
    *nods* My knowledge is limited. I've not lived over there in years. But once I work out for certain which state i'll be going to I can then work out what unconstitutional infringements there are.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    In his state, not being licensed will be a major pain in the ass, unfortunately, as they require a license to continue your OC while in a vehicle.
    Exactly what I mean about infringements. Thats whats called a non-law. Shall not be infringed means just that. libtards in power need to go back to school and learn basic english.
    Last edited by rightwinglibertarian; 03-22-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added quote

Oops, you'll have to ignore what I just said anyway. I flashed on "Birmingham" and just assumed you'd be coming "back" to Alabama.

What pains in the ass you will have will depend on the state, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Oops, you'll have to ignore what I just said anyway. I flashed on "Birmingham" and just assumed you'd be coming "back" to Alabama.

What pains in the ass you will have will depend on the state, of course.
    *chuckles* We The People. We the People are the militia and We The People control the government and the police the latter of which are public servants whether they like it or not! Back on topic though I will likely go to Wisconsin. Once that is confirmed I will post in that section and get all relevant information and hopefully find local groups to get involved with. The area in question has no Copblock and its about time they did!

*nods* My knowledge is limited. I've not lived over there in years. But once I work out for certain which state i'll be going to I can then work out what unconstitutional infringements there are.

Exactly what I mean about infringements. Thats whats called a non-law. Shall not be infringed means just that. libtards in power need to go back to school and learn basic english.
    If I remember correctly, Vermont and Alaska are the only "constitutional carry" states left. That being said, I have had zero confrontations about my sidearm so far, anywhere in Virginia. A few humorous remarks, a few genuine questions (usually something like "who made your 1911?" as the Ruger grip logo can be difficult to make out at any real distance), and a whooole lot of bewildered stares. Well, there is one guy at work who got butthurt about it, but he shut up pretty quickly once he realized that the management had no issue with it, and he was the only employee that it bothered.
    "Now, why believe in anything they praise,
    When one hand holds them the victor,
    While the other holds the shovel to their graves?"
    ~~~Claudio Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    If I remember correctly, Vermont and Alaska are the only "constitutional carry" states left...
    Arizona went to permitless concealed carry, as did Wyoming (though only for its residents).
    Last edited by MAC702; 03-23-2014 at 01:09 PM.

In my few weeks of carrying, I haven't yet noticed that it is banned at any of the places I've been. But I'm trying to figure out what to do if some place I go has such a policy.

I figure there are two basic options: leave your firearm in your vehicle, or just leave that place. The second is pretty easy. But the first is more complex. In my case, I often go places on my motorcycle, so there's nowhere to put my firearm. So would I only be left with option 2? Or can I just go in, taking the chance that I will be noticed and asked to leave?

I ride a lot when the weather allows. Ive got hard bags on my bike but I imagine my idea would work for soft bags. Im sketching out a locking hard case that will use the saddlebag bolts to secure it to the bike inside the saddle bag. The bolt holes for the "safe" will be inside the safe itself. This way, even if you leave the bags unlocked or someone forces their way into the bag, its still secure. Stainless is the way to go. Harder to cut, resists weather, stronger, no oxidizing. Just the better way to go. Now if you dont have bags on your bike, Id guess something lockable you could bolt to the bike or run a short cable lock. I have a crap ton of things Im in the middle of making or designing, but ill post anything related to firearms when I have a visual to provide. This was something we talked about on the Honda VTX site Im part of as well.

*1*
    Last edited by scott58dh; 06-27-2014 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    If I remember correctly, Vermont and Alaska are the only "constitutional carry" states left.
    both states still have alleged 'gun free zones'. Which are really areas which someone decided they had the right to violate your Second Amendment rights. Fact is everyone has an automatic right to bear arms and though private (as opposed to government) places do have the technical right to refuse entry to gun users the result should be either losing the business due to no customers or changing the policy. In public the Second Amendment is the only permit one actually needs. Constitution trumps state law and nullifies any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms.

Too bad criminals see that sign as an invitation to rob without fear of getting shot.

to answer your query...there is always a place on a motorcycle to stow your firearm...so take a look at these....https://www.google.com/search?q=slim...ddress&ie=&oe=

chain it to the shock or back frame inside your saddle bag and call it good...

stay away from the biometric style as the batteries have a tendency to shake loose and lose connection on the scoot and if you don't have the key with you when this event occurs you are left with a firearm inside a locked box chained to your shock with the battery(ies) rattling inside. (clearing my voice, or so i have been told!)

your scoot would get stolen easier than one of these chained to the bike.

wabbit
    Last edited by wabbit; 03-24-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott58dh View Post
    Here's one.....................
    Also, I wonder if there is an Exhaustive list out there of "No Guns Zone" Businessess in the USA ? I can't find any ?!
    http://friendorfoe.us/

I ride almost every day now. Warmer weather. I keep my pistol where it belongs, in the holster on my hip. It shows well being green instead of black, and I get a look or two at traffic lights. I do not look for "signs". If I enter a business that does not want my hard earned cash, and I am asked I will leave. I do not argue, I do not complain, I leave.

My Sweet Baboo and I were in a store and were approached by the owner. She said, "If I asked you not to shop here with guns, what would you do?" My wife and I said simultaneously, "We would shop somewhere else." She had received a complaint from another customer. "No, don't do that." said she, "I feel safer when you are here." This gave us an opportunity to educate a shopkeeper. We gave her a Washington Gun Rights brochure and she was very happy. Sometimes it works.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Why not have a small toolbox, put the firearm in it and lock it and carry it with you? Avoid portable 'gun safes' because they look like a gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by scott58dh View Post
    Here's one Bid'nezz for ya',,,

"Buffalo Wild Wings' No Gun Policy." Buffalo Wild Wings imposed a corporate wide ban on firearms at their establishments.
    link;>>> http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/03/bu...thout-service/

Attachment 11404

Here's the rest of the story,,, "Buffalo Wild Wings sorry after gun-fearing waitress refuses to serve cops."
    link;> http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/28...to-serve-cops/

Also, I wonder if there is an Exhaustive list out there of "No Guns Zone" Businessess in the USA ? I can't find any ?!
    All I see in these stories is how private businesses are treating cops like they are better then the average citizen. Even more reason not to give them money.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    All I see in these stories is how private businesses are treating cops like they are better then the average citizen. Even more reason not to give them money.
    +1 Bigotry isn't just about being biased against...
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast