• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Gun-free Zones": how to handle them?

DaveT319

In my few weeks of carrying, I haven't yet noticed that it is banned at any of the places I've been. But I'm trying to figure out what to do if some place I go has such a policy.

I figure there are two basic options: leave your firearm in your vehicle, or just leave that place. The second is pretty easy. But the first is more complex. In my case, I often go places on my motorcycle, so there's nowhere to put my firearm. So would I only be left with option 2? Or can I just go in, taking the chance that I will be noticed and asked to leave?

How do/would you handle such an issue?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... can I just go in, taking the chance that I will be noticed and asked to leave?

The legal answer will vary by state. In Nevada, you have this option, yes. I don't know about Oregon.

DaveT319

I've seen someone say that such signs have no legal bearing in Oregon. That it only sets the basis for them trespassing you. I'm just trying to figure out if that's a reasonable approach to the issue, or if it's just better to take my business elsewhere.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I've seen someone say that such signs have no legal bearing in Oregon. That it only sets the basis for them trespassing you. I'm just trying to figure out if that's a reasonable approach to the issue, or if it's just better to take my business elsewhere.

I have heard several reports of OC'ers leaving the full cart right where it is when they are confronted and immediately leaving the store.

Rusty Young Man

I have heard several reports of OC'ers leaving the full cart right where it is when they are confronted and immediately leaving the store.

Another variant of this is the "return": if you've already paid for the items but the store makes it clear they do not respect your RKBA, ask to return the items for a refund. This shows them how their anti-Right policy hurts their business, and more so when they have to re-stock the items.

Reasonable

its like speeding. If you get caught you pay the piper. Or you could respect the opinion or wishes of the owner or corporation. If you go looking for trouble it will find you. So its a personal issue. I usually dont go where my business or presence is not wanted.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

rightwinglibertarian

Quite right too. Any business that does not respect the right of the citizen to bear arms should not get money. As soon as I can afford to return to the U.S I will do so and I will have a strict 'no guns, no business' policy.

DaveT319

Quite right too. Any business that does not respect the right of the citizen to bear arms should not get money. As soon as I can afford to return to the U.S I will do so and I will have a strict 'no guns, no business' policy.

I really need to make up some "no guns, no business" cards for when I come across such a place.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Then don't. OC is legal in just about every state without a license.

In his state, not being licensed will be a major pain in the ass, unfortunately, as they require a license to continue your OC while in a vehicle.

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't see the "United Kingdom" part of the location.

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

Then don't. OC is legal in just about every state without a license.

*nods* My knowledge is limited. I've not lived over there in years. But once I work out for certain which state i'll be going to I can then work out what unconstitutional infringements there are.

In his state, not being licensed will be a major pain in the ass, unfortunately, as they require a license to continue your OC while in a vehicle.

Exactly what I mean about infringements. Thats whats called a non-law. Shall not be infringed means just that. libtards in power need to go back to school and learn basic english.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Oops, you'll have to ignore what I just said anyway. I flashed on "Birmingham" and just assumed you'd be coming "back" to Alabama.

What pains in the ass you will have will depend on the state, of course.

rightwinglibertarian

Oops, you'll have to ignore what I just said anyway. I flashed on "Birmingham" and just assumed you'd be coming "back" to Alabama.

What pains in the ass you will have will depend on the state, of course.

*chuckles* We The People. We the People are the militia and We The People control the government and the police the latter of which are public servants whether they like it or not! Back on topic though I will likely go to Wisconsin. Once that is confirmed I will post in that section and get all relevant information and hopefully find local groups to get involved with. The area in question has no Copblock and its about time they did!

Gallowmere

*nods* My knowledge is limited. I've not lived over there in years. But once I work out for certain which state i'll be going to I can then work out what unconstitutional infringements there are.

Exactly what I mean about infringements. Thats whats called a non-law. Shall not be infringed means just that. libtards in power need to go back to school and learn basic english.

If I remember correctly, Vermont and Alaska are the only "constitutional carry" states left. That being said, I have had zero confrontations about my sidearm so far, anywhere in Virginia. A few humorous remarks, a few genuine questions (usually something like "who made your 1911?" as the Ruger grip logo can be difficult to make out at any real distance), and a whooole lot of bewildered stares. Well, there is one guy at work who got butthurt about it, but he shut up pretty quickly once he realized that the management had no issue with it, and he was the only employee that it bothered.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If I remember correctly, Vermont and Alaska are the only "constitutional carry" states left...

Arizona went to permitless concealed carry, as did Wyoming (though only for its residents).

Last edited:

3D Dave

In my few weeks of carrying, I haven't yet noticed that it is banned at any of the places I've been. But I'm trying to figure out what to do if some place I go has such a policy.

I figure there are two basic options: leave your firearm in your vehicle, or just leave that place. The second is pretty easy. But the first is more complex. In my case, I often go places on my motorcycle, so there's nowhere to put my firearm. So would I only be left with option 2? Or can I just go in, taking the chance that I will be noticed and asked to leave?

I ride a lot when the weather allows. Ive got hard bags on my bike but I imagine my idea would work for soft bags. Im sketching out a locking hard case that will use the saddlebag bolts to secure it to the bike inside the saddle bag. The bolt holes for the "safe" will be inside the safe itself. This way, even if you leave the bags unlocked or someone forces their way into the bag, its still secure. Stainless is the way to go. Harder to cut, resists weather, stronger, no oxidizing. Just the better way to go. Now if you dont have bags on your bike, Id guess something lockable you could bolt to the bike or run a short cable lock. I have a crap ton of things Im in the middle of making or designing, but ill post anything related to firearms when I have a visual to provide. This was something we talked about on the Honda VTX site Im part of as well.

rightwinglibertarian

If I remember correctly, Vermont and Alaska are the only "constitutional carry" states left.

both states still have alleged 'gun free zones'. Which are really areas which someone decided they had the right to violate your Second Amendment rights. Fact is everyone has an automatic right to bear arms and though private (as opposed to government) places do have the technical right to refuse entry to gun users the result should be either losing the business due to no customers or changing the policy. In public the Second Amendment is the only permit one actually needs. Constitution trumps state law and nullifies any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms.