Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you want your Oregon CHL?

Do you want your Oregon CHL?

Sheriff Dickerson of the Columbia County Sheriff's Office in Oregon will be issuing Concealed Handgun Licenses to Washington residents. They have a portable fingerprint machine and will be at the Wes Knodel, Tacoma Dome Gun Show on April 26th. Show up with the required payment, paperwork, supply your fingerprints, have a picture taken and wait 2-3 weeks for your license to arrive in the mail.

The Sheriff's staff will be at the show from 9am to 6pm to issue CHL's.

Conditions for Washington State Residents

1. You must have a Washington State Concealed Pistol License to qualify for your Oregon license. Your CPL can be used as one piece of identification when applying for your Oregon CHL.
    2. You must write a letter to Sheriff Dickerson stating why you want an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Your reasons must be compelling in nature. (form letter below)
    3. There will be a $10.00 administrative fee for any fingerprinting of Washington residents by the Sheriff's Office for any purpose. The fee is applied to the cost of regular monitoring of criminal histories of Washington residents holding any type of Columbia County licenses or permits through the Sheriff's Office.
    4. We take only cash, checks or money orders (Cost: $65 new / $50 renewal) Total Cost $85 / $60 plus entry fee.

All the forms for getting your CHL are on linked below.

CHL App: http://www.co.columbia.or.us/sheriff..._app_final.pdf

Reference Letter: http://www.co.columbia.or.us/sheriff...nce_Letter.pdf
    Two references are required to complete the CHL application process. Please use NON-RELATED character references.

Compelling Reason Form Letter: http://www.washingtongunrights.com/m...eed-letter.pdf

Washington DC Police Department Free Online Training is available here:
    Online Washington DC Police Department course WILL BE accepted by the Columbia County Sheriff as acceptable handgun training. It takes about 20 minutes to complete. Be sure to print off the certificate and bring it with you.
    https://dcfst.mpdconline.com/

Per the Sheriff's Dept...
    While we are always cautious about Concealed handgun Training we are even more cautious about online training. Obviously the instructors are qualified. The course outline appears to cover the material necessary. We would be willing to accept this course. At the time of application we will however require the applicant to sign a Declaration of Completion of an Online Handgun Safety Course.

Tacoma Dome Gun Show Info:
    http://wesknodelgunshows.com/pages/TacomaDome.html

FYI - this same weekend the Washington Arms Collectors will be holding a Gun Show at the Fair grounds.

Sheriff's Dept -

Columbia County Sheriff's Office web site
    http://www.co.columbia.or.us/sheriff/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&It emid=5

Last edited by Bill Starks; 04-17-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Last edited by Bill Starks; 03-05-2014 at 04:31 PM.

I've heard that the Maryland online safety course (FREE) is accepted:
    http://www.mdgunsafety.com/
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    I've heard that the Maryland online safety course (FREE) is accepted:
    http://www.mdgunsafety.com/
    NOPE, no longer available

Does a DD214 cover the training requirement?

Also, the reference letter link goes to some facebook thing. Is there a non-facebook alternative?
    Last edited by Mainsail; 02-25-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Besides the $50, what are the requirements for renewal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
    Does a DD214 cover the training requirement?

Also, the reference letter link goes to some facebook thing. Is there a non-facebook alternative?
    If your DD214 actually shows pistol/handgun then yes.

looks like your program setting are messed up. It's a PDF file

http://www.co.columbia.or.us/sheriff/images/pdfs/Reference_Letter.pdf
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 02-25-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Besides the $50, what are the requirements for renewal?
    filled out CHL form, letter of need, an appointment.

Is licensed, or has been licensed, to carry a firearm in this state, unless license has been revoked.

1. You must have a Washington State Concealed Handgun License to qualify for your Oregon permit. This permit can be used as one piece of identification when applying for your Oregon CHL.
    2. You must write a letter to Sheriff Dickerson stating why you want an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Your reasons must be compelling in nature.

Does this meet the requirements for an OR CPL? https://dcfst.mpdconline.com/

It appears to be free.

Thanks for the info Bill, but it seems that with my Washington state CPL, adding an Oregon CHL only adds the ability to carry concealed in Oregon and Nebraska. Now if you know of a way to get ahold of a Florida non-resident CPL, that would be great as it give the ability to carry in 7 other states besides the ones that honor Washington's CPL.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Crap, it's looking more like $70. The "Out of State Application" is listed at $60, then the lower section says it says an additional $10.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    Does this meet the requirements for an OR CPL? https://dcfst.mpdconline.com/

It appears to be free.

Thanks for the info Bill, but it seems that with my Washington state CPL, adding an Oregon CHL only adds the ability to carry concealed in Oregon and Nebraska. Now if you know of a way to get ahold of a Florida non-resident CPL, that would be great as it give the ability to carry in 7 other states besides the ones that honor Washington's CPL.
    I sent an email to the Sheriff to see if he will accept the DC Metro training. I don't see why not, it meets the requirement.

I thought Oregon was a "shall issue" state. Is the "compelling need" only for out of state permits?

What is the average "compelling need?" I travel though Oregon to visit family there, sometimes do business there and also travel through the state recreationally. Don't want to go through all the trouble if there's a chance I'll be rejected because some bureaucrat didn't like my "need" reasons...
    Last edited by Alpine; 02-25-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    I thought Oregon was a "shall issue" state. Is the "compelling need" only for out of state permits?

What is the average "compelling need?" I travel though Oregon to visit family there, sometimes do business there and also travel through the state recreationally. Don't want to go through all the trouble if there's a chance I'll be rejected because some bureaucrat didn't like my "need" reasons...
    hand written, typed or downloaded is fine:
    http://www.washingtongunrights.com/o...eed-letter.pdf

(date)

Sheriff xxxx:

I routinely travel throughout Oregon for both business and personal reasons. I respectfully request your office allow me to apply for (and subsequently issue) an Oregon Concealed Handgun License for the purpose of personal defense.

(signature)
    (your full printed legal name, address, phone number)]
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 03-14-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Bill, is that what you use? Does that reliably and regularly work? I was searching around on northwestfirearms forums and found a thread where some people said Oregon would randomly deny WA residents for the "need" letter.

I got mine from multnumah county with no issues. I listed self defense as my reason on the good cause letter. My references where never contacted and I used a CJTC handgun course for the training requirement.
    WTT: Glock 27 for Glock 26

Well,,,

I would like,,, but dont need the Oregon CHL,,,, considering...

States that honor Oregon CHL - AK, AL, AR, AZ, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, MI, MO, MS, MT, NE, NC, OK, SD, TN, UT, VT
    Notice Oregon does Not Honor the Washington CPL....

My Washington CPL,, covers.....AK, AL, AR, AZ, IA, ID, IN, //, KY, MI, MO, MS, MT, //, NC, OK, SD, TN, UT, VT
    And.. tit for tat... We dont honor the Oregon CHL...

Nebraska is covered by my Utah permit,,,
    Sooo an Oregon CHL really only adds.... Oregon.... for me..
    Oh yea... and Kansas.
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 02-26-2014 at 08:07 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Yes, shall-issue for residents, may-issue for neighbors.

Bill, is that what you use? Does that reliably and regularly work? I was searching around on northwestfirearms forums and found a thread where some people said Oregon would randomly deny WA residents for the "need" letter.
    Because OR is may-issue for non-residents, and the decision is made at the county level by the sheriff, there's ample room for inconsistency! However Columbia County seems quite good (both the current and former sheriffs have not declined any qualified WA applicant that I've ever heard of.)

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    I would like,,, but dont need the Oregon CHL,,,, considering...

States that honor Oregon CHL - AK, AL, AR, AZ, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, MI, MO, MS, MT, NE, NC, OK, SD, TN, UT, VT
    Notice Oregon does Not Honor the Washington CPL....

My Washington CPL,, covers.....AK, AL, AR, AZ, IA, ID, IN, //, KY, MI, MO, MS, MT, //, NC, OK, SD, TN, UT, VT
    And.. tit for tat... We dont honor the Oregon CHL...

Nebraska is covered by my Utah permit,,,
    Sooo an Oregon CHL really only adds.... Oregon.... for me..
    Oh yea... and Kansas.
    Kansas now recognizes WA, they passed a law last session recognizing all States licenses
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

I have secured the Sheriff's Dept for April 26th.

Now comes the hard part, I need to solicit donations for the three tables and electrical drop since I can't get Wes Knodel to comp the tables. Table cost is $195 plus a $75 electrical drop that's needed. I'll have a donation jar at he table or we can do other means.
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 03-14-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Bill, how would we transmit a donation to you?

Quote Originally Posted by kparker View Post
    Bill, how would we transmit a donation to you?
    Unless we meet up in person or you want to mail a check all I have is Paypal. (M1gunr@gmail.com)

Dude, what's "mail" and "check"?

Paypay for a few dollars on its way to you... wouldn't mind meeting up but the way my life is on fire these days, time-wise...

Ugh.

Just had to add a new bank account to my PayPal account; no idea how long it will take to verify it. This event is still a ways out; I assume you don't need the funds yesterday, right? :-)

This is an awesome opportunity!

I have been wanting an OR CCW for quite some time, but I have struggled to find a Sheriff's Dept that I routinely traveled near. I will most certainly be there at the gunshow! So, to successfully apply on that day, one would need...

WA CPL
    OR CHL Application
    Letter of "need"
    List of references
    Proof of competency with a pistol
    WA Drivers License
    Cash

The reference requirement is slightly confusing me. Do I need to have references listed on the application AND have them fill out the reference questionnaire? Should I do both, or just one? Also if they need to fill out the questionnaire for me, should I bring the letter they filled out in when I apply, or have them fill it out and send it to the Sheriff?

When you were talking about making an appointment - that was only if we are traveling to OR with you, correct? We are not required to make any appointment or RSVP of any kind to apply at the gunshow, are we?

Any word on whether he will accept the free DC Metro training yet?

Also, I will be more than happy to send you a donation. I'll let you know when I'm sending it.
    Last edited by devldogs55; 03-05-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast