• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you want your Oregon CHL?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Sheriff Dickerson of the Columbia County Sheriff's Office in Oregon will be issuing Concealed Handgun Licenses to Washington residents. They have a portable fingerprint machine and will be at the Wes Knodel, Tacoma Dome Gun Show on April 26th. Show up with the required payment, paperwork, supply your fingerprints, have a picture taken and wait 2-3 weeks for your license to arrive in the mail.

The Sheriff's staff will be at the show from 9am to 6pm to issue CHL's.

Conditions for Washington State Residents

1. You must have a Washington State Concealed Pistol License to qualify for your Oregon license. Your CPL can be used as one piece of identification when applying for your Oregon CHL.
  2. You must write a letter to Sheriff Dickerson stating why you want an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Your reasons must be compelling in nature. (form letter below)
  3. There will be a $10.00 administrative fee for any fingerprinting of Washington residents by the Sheriff's Office for any purpose. The fee is applied to the cost of regular monitoring of criminal histories of Washington residents holding any type of Columbia County licenses or permits through the Sheriff's Office.
  4. We take only cash, checks or money orders (Cost: $65 new / $50 renewal) Total Cost $85 / $60 plus entry fee.
All the forms for getting your CHL are on linked below.

CHL App: http://www.co.columbia.or.us/sheriff/images/pdfs/ccso_chl_2012_app_final.pdf

Reference Letter: http://www.co.columbia.or.us/sheriff/images/pdfs/Reference_Letter.pdf
Two references are required to complete the CHL application process. Please use NON-RELATED character references.

Compelling Reason Form Letter: http://www.washingtongunrights.com/misc/compelling-need-letter.pdf

Washington DC Police Department Free Online Training is available here:
Online Washington DC Police Department course WILL BE accepted by the Columbia County Sheriff as acceptable handgun training. It takes about 20 minutes to complete. Be sure to print off the certificate and bring it with you.
https://dcfst.mpdconline.com/

Per the Sheriff's Dept...
While we are always cautious about Concealed handgun Training we are even more cautious about online training. Obviously the instructors are qualified. The course outline appears to cover the material necessary. We would be willing to accept this course. At the time of application we will however require the applicant to sign a Declaration of Completion of an Online Handgun Safety Course.

Tacoma Dome Gun Show Info:
http://wesknodelgunshows.com/pages/TacomaDome.html

FYI - this same weekend the Washington Arms Collectors will be holding a Gun Show at the Fair grounds.

Sheriff's Dept -

Columbia County Sheriff's Office web site
http://www.co.columbia.or.us/sheriff/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=5

Last edited:

Mainsail

Does a DD214 cover the training requirement?

Also, the reference letter link goes to some facebook thing. Is there a non-facebook alternative?

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Besides the $50, what are the requirements for renewal?

filled out CHL form, letter of need, an appointment.

Is licensed, or has been licensed, to carry a firearm in this state, unless license has been revoked.

1. You must have a Washington State Concealed Handgun License to qualify for your Oregon permit. This permit can be used as one piece of identification when applying for your Oregon CHL.
  2. You must write a letter to Sheriff Dickerson stating why you want an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Your reasons must be compelling in nature.

Grim_Night

Does this meet the requirements for an OR CPL? https://dcfst.mpdconline.com/

It appears to be free.

Thanks for the info Bill, but it seems that with my Washington state CPL, adding an Oregon CHL only adds the ability to carry concealed in Oregon and Nebraska. Now if you know of a way to get ahold of a Florida non-resident CPL, that would be great as it give the ability to carry in 7 other states besides the ones that honor Washington's CPL.

Stretch

Crap, it's looking more like $70. The "Out of State Application" is listed at $60, then the lower section says it says an additional $10.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Does this meet the requirements for an OR CPL? https://dcfst.mpdconline.com/

It appears to be free.

Thanks for the info Bill, but it seems that with my Washington state CPL, adding an Oregon CHL only adds the ability to carry concealed in Oregon and Nebraska. Now if you know of a way to get ahold of a Florida non-resident CPL, that would be great as it give the ability to carry in 7 other states besides the ones that honor Washington's CPL.

I sent an email to the Sheriff to see if he will accept the DC Metro training. I don't see why not, it meets the requirement.

Alpine

I thought Oregon was a "shall issue" state. Is the "compelling need" only for out of state permits?

What is the average "compelling need?" I travel though Oregon to visit family there, sometimes do business there and also travel through the state recreationally. Don't want to go through all the trouble if there's a chance I'll be rejected because some bureaucrat didn't like my "need" reasons...

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I thought Oregon was a "shall issue" state. Is the "compelling need" only for out of state permits?

What is the average "compelling need?" I travel though Oregon to visit family there, sometimes do business there and also travel through the state recreationally. Don't want to go through all the trouble if there's a chance I'll be rejected because some bureaucrat didn't like my "need" reasons...

hand written, typed or downloaded is fine:
http://www.washingtongunrights.com/ocdo/compelling-need-letter.pdf

(date)

Sheriff xxxx:

I routinely travel throughout Oregon for both business and personal reasons. I respectfully request your office allow me to apply for (and subsequently issue) an Oregon Concealed Handgun License for the purpose of personal defense.

(signature)
(your full printed legal name, address, phone number)]

Last edited:

Alpine

Bill, is that what you use? Does that reliably and regularly work? I was searching around on northwestfirearms forums and found a thread where some people said Oregon would randomly deny WA residents for the "need" letter.

badger54

I got mine from multnumah county with no issues. I listed self defense as my reason on the good cause letter. My references where never contacted and I used a CJTC handgun course for the training requirement.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I would like,,, but dont need the Oregon CHL,,,, considering...

States that honor Oregon CHL - AK, AL, AR, AZ, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, MI, MO, MS, MT, NE, NC, OK, SD, TN, UT, VT
Notice Oregon does Not Honor the Washington CPL....

My Washington CPL,, covers.....AK, AL, AR, AZ, IA, ID, IN, //, KY, MI, MO, MS, MT, //, NC, OK, SD, TN, UT, VT
And.. tit for tat... We dont honor the Oregon CHL...

Nebraska is covered by my Utah permit,,,
Sooo an Oregon CHL really only adds.... Oregon.... for me..
Oh yea... and Kansas.

Last edited:

kparker

Bill, is that what you use? Does that reliably and regularly work? I was searching around on northwestfirearms forums and found a thread where some people said Oregon would randomly deny WA residents for the "need" letter.

Because OR is may-issue for non-residents, and the decision is made at the county level by the sheriff, there's ample room for inconsistency! However Columbia County seems quite good (both the current and former sheriffs have not declined any qualified WA applicant that I've ever heard of.)

EMNofSeattle

I would like,,, but dont need the Oregon CHL,,,, considering...

States that honor Oregon CHL - AK, AL, AR, AZ, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, MI, MO, MS, MT, NE, NC, OK, SD, TN, UT, VT
Notice Oregon does Not Honor the Washington CPL....

My Washington CPL,, covers.....AK, AL, AR, AZ, IA, ID, IN, //, KY, MI, MO, MS, MT, //, NC, OK, SD, TN, UT, VT
And.. tit for tat... We dont honor the Oregon CHL...

Nebraska is covered by my Utah permit,,,
Sooo an Oregon CHL really only adds.... Oregon.... for me..
Oh yea... and Kansas.

Kansas now recognizes WA, they passed a law last session recognizing all States licenses

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I have secured the Sheriff's Dept for April 26th.

Now comes the hard part, I need to solicit donations for the three tables and electrical drop since I can't get Wes Knodel to comp the tables. Table cost is $195 plus a $75 electrical drop that's needed. I'll have a donation jar at he table or we can do other means.

Last edited: