• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you want your Oregon CHL?

FMCDH

3 of us went to Pendleton, Oregon on 3 July to renew our permits that we originally received from Grant County. The process was simple, we had to schedule an appointment (3 or 4 weeks in advance), arrived with all the paperwork requested, wait for our turn.

All of us were in out and done within 40 minutes of arrival. Our permits arrived in just over a week. A big thanks to the Umatilla County Sheriff and staff!

As a side note to paperwork, when I renewed my CHL last December with Multnomah County, a new letter of "need" was not required.

You could pay by debit, credit, check, cash...whatever.

I'm not sure of their policy on "new issue" to Wa. residents since BoB Skipper was sheriff, but they aren't denying renewals.

kparker

As a side note to paperwork, when I renewed my CHL last December with Multnomah County, a new letter of "need" was not required.

Same when I renewed in Columbia County; I was told the "need" letter was for first-time applicants only and I would not need one for my renewal.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Same when I renewed in Columbia County; I was told the "need" letter was for first-time applicants only and I would not need one for my renewal.

Each Sheriff has their own requirements. Please do not muddle the information between Sheriff Dickerson (Columbia County) with those of other counties. The letter is quite simple and a form letter is provided.

kparker

Each Sheriff has their own requirements. Please do not muddle the information between Sheriff Dickerson (Columbia County) with those of other counties. The letter is quite simple and a form letter is provided.

Sorry, not trying to confuse things; just relating my specific experience.

You are absolutely right that OR out-of-state permits are strictly may-issue and each county and each sheriff can have their own requirements. Please read the specifics for the county you are planning to apply in.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Confirmed by both parties for October 25/26th at the Puyallup WAC show. I'll be making at event thread for the October event.

FYI - show entry fee is a separate cost.

wczimmerman

I'm looking to pick up an OR non resident CHL and found this thread. The link for the "need" letter doesn't seem to be working, so could someone provide a working link or a copy? It also looks like Columbia county may be booked for weeks (May is first available). Are there other counties that issue (I'm in Pierce county in WA) with less backlog? Thanks!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I'm looking to pick up an OR non resident CHL and found this thread. The link for the "need" letter doesn't seem to be working, so could someone provide a working link or a copy? It also looks like Columbia county may be booked for weeks (May is first available). Are there other counties that issue (I'm in Pierce county in WA) with less backlog? Thanks!

it needs to look something like this....

DATE
Sheriff Dickerson: I routinely travel throughout Oregon for both business and personal reasons. I respectfully request your office allow me to apply for (and subsequently issue) an Oregon Concealed Handgun License for the purpose of personal defense.
_____________________________________________________________ (signature)
______________________________________________________________ (your full printed legal name)
______________________________________________________________ (address)
______________________________________________________________ ( phone number)

wczimmerman

it needs to look something like this....

DATE
Sheriff Dickerson: I routinely travel throughout Oregon for both business and personal reasons. I respectfully request your office allow me to apply for (and subsequently issue) an Oregon Concealed Handgun License for the purpose of personal defense.
_____________________________________________________________ (signature)
______________________________________________________________ (your full printed legal name)
______________________________________________________________ (address)
______________________________________________________________ ( phone number)

Perfect! Thanks!