• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you want your Oregon CHL?

pat

couple questions

Couple questions:

1. What times will they be there. More specifically, how late in day?

2. "Two personal reference forms filled out"
Where is the form located?

Alpine

Some important info for anyone who may be moving in the next few years.

If you change your address you MUST fill out a new application and pay the change of address rate, AND YOU HAVE TO GO TO OREGON AND THEY HAVE TO TAKE YOUR PICTURE AGAIN. This is what I was told by the Columbia County Sheriff's office when I called today and asked.

In WA, if you move you are NOT required to get a new CPL with your updated address on it. In OR, if you move, you ARE required to get a new CHL as your CHL will be invalid if it does not contain your current address.

For what it's worth, I didn't look up the relevant OR statutes, this is what I was told by the Columbia County Sheriff over the phone but I figured they probably knew what they were talking about.
So if you're moving anytime soon, unless you know your next address, you may not want to waste the time/money of getting an OR CHL this weekend.

However, she did say that if you know your next address and it is a firm commitment (ie: you are in the process of moving or closing on a house under contract) then you can list that as your current address and list your house where you're living now as a mailing address and simply explain you are moving. In this regard they will NOT require your WA ID or WA driver's license address to match your current address on the application.

Last edited:

devldogs55

Thanks for that info... On the application there is a "Change of address" box to be checked, and a "Change of county" box as well. Did they say anything about moving to a different WA county, and whether or not you would have to pay both fees?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, when you change you address in WA, you can just call the DOL and they will update your address in the database, but not issue you a new physical license with your new address on it. That would mean that you can keep both your OR CHL with old address, and WA DL with old address since the printed addresses will match.

Last edited:

Alpine

Thanks for that info... On the application there is a "Change of address" box to be checked, and a "Change of county" box as well. Did they say anything about moving to a different WA county, and whether or not you would have to pay both fees?
I'd assume change of county is for OR residents since they probably don't care what WA county you live in if you're an out of stater. But you may want to call to ask about that.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, when you change you address in WA, you can just call the DOL and they will update your address in the database, but not issue you a new physical license with your new address on it.
From this page it doesn't seem there is a duty to notify WA of a change of address at all for any reason for the CPL. However I am not an attorney, take a look and tell me how you read it.
http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealchange.html

Or were you talking about driver's license?
If you were talking about driver's license I see what you mean by that here:
https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/dolprod/dolChangeAddress/

That would mean that you can keep both your OR CHL with old address, and WA DL with old address since the printed addresses will match.
Maybe not.
The WA address change method does not seem to satisfy what I was told about OR CHL. They don't care if your CHL matches your WA DL if the address isn't your current one.

devldogs55

Or were you talking about driver's license?
If you were talking about driver's license I see what you mean by that here:
https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/dolprod/dolChangeAddress/

Maybe not.
The WA address change method does not seem to satisfy what I was told about OR CHL. They don't care if your CHL matches your WA DL if the address isn't your current one.

Correct, I was only talking about notifying the DOL for your address change on your DL.

Looks like the Sheriff's Office gave you the right info (not that I'm surprised), and you were also right... I found this while looking through the statutes just now:

166.295 Renewal of license. (1)(a) A concealed handgun license is renewable by repeating the procedures set out in ORS 166.291 and 166.292, except for the requirement to submit fingerprints and provide character references. A licensee may submit the application for renewal by mail if the licensee:

(A) Is an active member of the Armed Forces of the United States, the National Guard of the United States or the Oregon National Guard; and

(B) Submits with the application proof of the licensee’s military orders and a copy of the licensee’s military identification.

(b) An otherwise expired concealed handgun license continues to be valid for up to 45 days after the licensee applies for renewal if:

(A) The licensee applies for renewal before the original license expires;

(B) The licensee has proof of the application for renewal; and

(C) The application for renewal has not been denied.

(2) If a licensee changes residence, the licensee shall report the change of address and the sheriff shall issue a new license as a duplication for a change of address. The license shall expire upon the same date as would the original. [1989 c.839 §10; 1993 c.735 §7; 2007 c.368 §4]

Link:
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/lawsstatutes/2013ors166.html

Last edited:

Tacitus42

Does the Wes Knodel show usually have people zip tying actions at the door like at the WAC ? Thanks

devldogs55

Well... I am extremely grateful for the CCSO for coming up here to help out us Washingtonians. I was there this morning when they opened, and they seemed pretty surprised as to how many people showed up to get their permits. Also, to Bill, thanks for the heads up and all of the coordinating on your part to help us out. I got to meet you briefly in line this morning, and it was great to talk to you.

I was thinking about writing to the CCSO just to express my thanks to them. Those nice ladies had a full day of work today, and at least the same amount when they get back to the office processing all of our paperwork. They certainly did not have to come up here for us.

Great day today!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
You folks are the ones that made this happen. Thank You !

I found out that the office usually does about 150 applications a month. On Saturday they processed 160+ applications. I was told that they may be interested in doing this 2x's a year. Once they do a after action report this week. I will hit them up about coming out in October to the big WAC show.

I will keep everyone in the loop once I know something.

Bill

Alpine

Wow sounds like big revenue for that county. It was nice of them to come up, but it would be even nicer to have Constitutional Carry.

I can dream right?

Thanks for all your effort on this Bill. It was good to see you at the show.

Last edited: