• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Romulus meet up 3-2-14 11 am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigander

Due to several requests, event has been postponed to further boost grand rapids attendance. Future event to be planned out by by ezerharden.

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

You seriously made an event on the same day?

We are our own worst enemy.

This was discussed elsewhere, as you may recall, and the request was made for people who would like to attend both to step forward, at which point having them on the same day would not have occurred.

ETA: I realize people did speak up but not until after this thread was posted. In any case this was not an attempt to derail any other events.

Last edited:

Raggs

right now according to Facebook there are 70+ people going to the event in GR which has been planned for over a month, I made people here aware of it as did Tom by posting the event in the events forum. Still we are going to now have two events, one planned for a while the other thrown together quickly. If both events had been planned a month ago I have no doubt we could have made a good showing at both, but with this how many people have already committed to the event in GR. Even waiting till the following weekend would have at least given people the option to attend both events. Now if the Romulus event is not well attended it will be seen as people not being willing to do what it takes.

bigt8261

right now according to Facebook there are 70+ people going to the event in GR which has been planned for over a month, I made people here aware of it as did Tom by posting the event in the events forum. Still we are going to now have two events, one planned for a while the other thrown together quickly. If both events had been planned a month ago I have no doubt we could have made a good showing at both, but with this how many people have already committed to the event in GR. Even waiting till the following weekend would have at least given people the option to attend both events. Now if the Romulus event is not well attended it will be seen as people not being willing to do what it takes.

Exactly Raggs +1.

This isn't about MOC, this is about OC. And to the media this is about GUNZZZZ!!!! OMG!!

We must stand strong and stand together.

FreeInAZ

Does this mean if the Romulus event can be pushed back on the calendar, those concerned about the date conflict will offer assistance to those organizing the Romulus event to bolster attendance? If so, I think they should consider it very carefully. ;)

Michigander

You seriously made an event on the same day?

We are our own worst enemy.

What FreeInAZ said. Make it worth doing both separately, or it isn't. When and if people commit to attending both, it will be bumped down the calendar another week. Time is running short though.

Last edited:

Raggs

What FreeInAZ said. Make it worth doing both separately, or it isn't. When and if people commit to attending both, it will be bumped down the calendar another week. Time is running short though.

Why is the time running short. I personally will not commit right now to a date down the road when I do not know that date. If you want to have time to actually set up an event with the help of MOC, MCRGO, MGO and Facebook then I would suggest pick a date in late March early April. Give people time to plan on attending.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

While your comment means well Raggs you are not a member of those orgs. or are you? So basically they have to chime in for a reschedule, one would think? Hey, I hope all pro rights /freedoms events are a huge success! :cool:

Last edited:

Michigander

Time is running short because the weekend is fast approaching, and the other date I have suggested is next sunday as opposed to this coming sunday, but by all means Raggs and anyone else, feel free to suggest a date and help me reschedule if we can get a bigger turn out from folks headed to Grand Rapids this weekend. Does anyone else care to chime in?

MOC board member here. Already chimed in multiple times for a reschedule.

With due respect to you, we are not personally acquainted at this time, so forgive me if I am incorrect, but I believe I have organized more events than you, including on days where we have had double or triple booked events. You may be well versed in how to do these things, I don't know because I don't know you, but this game is definitely not new to me, and I am suggesting we do it right. You have a confirmed ton of people going to Grand Rapids. A handful of us not going is not going to make or break the event. Done right, structuring these events as a response to government abuse is done to achieve the most success, in a sense like a business trip (albeit a lot more fun and social than a typical business trip) and accordingly I suggest you structure events that you coordinate to be effective, and take advantage of how many MOC and OCDO members there are across the state. If what you say is true, you needn't worry about numbers, you will have a massive turnout.

The most problematic cities we tend to have numerous events in. There is no reason why we cannot do the same in Romulus and Grand Rapids if needed. A handful of us traveling across the state when you have already over 50 going just doesn't make sense unless there can be a more demonstrated reason, and seems like a feel good/personal pride thing to ask us to do when we can in this case fight back on multiple fronts and multiple times with likely greater effect. If nothing else, if 5 or so of us go and you want to make it larger, think of us as scouting it out and potentially planning for a future larger event. Me, I will believe it when I see it that more people wish to show, and if all else fails I just want to work with what's available, but I am eager to do better if a significant number of others are too.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

I think the great concern is coming from ( I could be wrong) they think that your small turnout will be spun negatively in the press & detract from their event. :confused:

Ezerharden

Time is running short because the weekend is fast approaching, and the other date I have suggested is next sunday as opposed to this coming sunday, but by all means Raggs and anyone else, feel free to suggest a date and help me reschedule if we can get a bigger turn out from folks headed to Grand Rapids this weekend. Does anyone else care to chime in?

With due respect to you, we are not personally acquainted at this time, so forgive me if I am incorrect, but I believe I have organized more events than you, including on days where we have had double or triple booked events. You may be well versed in how to do these things, I don't know because I don't know you, but this game is definitely not new to me, and I am suggesting we do it right. You have a confirmed ton of people going to Grand Rapids. A handful of us not going is not going to make or break the event. Done right, structuring these events as a response to government abuse is done to achieve the most success, in a sense like a business trip (albeit a lot more fun and social than a typical business trip) and accordingly I suggest you structure events that you coordinate to be effective, and take advantage of how many MOC and OCDO members there are across the state. If what you say is true, you needn't worry about numbers, you will have a massive turnout.

The most problematic cities we tend to have numerous events in. There is no reason why we cannot do the same in Romulus and Grand Rapids if needed. A handful of us traveling across the state when you have already over 50 going just doesn't make sense unless there can be a more demonstrated reason, and seems like a feel good/personal pride thing to ask us to do when we can in this case fight back on multiple fronts and multiple times with likely greater effect. If nothing else, if 5 or so of us go and you want to make it larger, think of us as scouting it out and potentially planning for a future larger event. Me, I will believe it when I see it that more people wish to show, and if all else fails I just want to work with what's available, but I am eager to do better if a significant number of others are too.

First, BigT8261 has organized more events that I am aware of than you have, but yours may have been before my time (past 2 years or so) with MOC. Second, I have scheduled many events in the SE region over the last year also. I would be willing to work with someone to schedule an event like you suggest in Romulus with enough advance warning given. Realistically a month is good warning. Pick a date about a month out and will help promote and organize it. I will even do my level best to attend it (should be able to).

We would need a proposed starting place and a route. The starting place should have sufficient free or low cost parking if available. The route should be somewhere where we will be seen by many. Any ideas on these issues please bring them up.

Last edited:

Michigander

In regards to events, I have not done so many in the past 2 years, there seems to be an issue with a lack of eagerness to participate, so I have largely stopped trying. But suffice it to say, 2008-2010 were hectic, busy times, and we had many occasions with more than one meet up, and I do not suggest we have any reservations about doing multiples again.

If I have to, I will figure out by google maps or even drive by there before any events take place and get a location to park and gather, but I was hoping ebaby or someone else would have some ideas. If not, no problem, I got it.

Ezerharden

In regards to events, I have not done so many in the past 2 years, there seems to be an issue with a lack of eagerness to participate, so I have largely stopped trying. But suffice it to say, 2008-2010 were hectic, busy times, and we had many occasions with more than one meet up, and I do not suggest we have any reservations about doing multiples again.

If I have to, I will figure out by google maps or even drive by there before any events take place and get a location to park and gather, but I was hoping ebaby or someone else would have some ideas. If not, no problem, I got it.

I agree a native of the area is our best source of information. But based upon your response, I assume you plan on continuing with this date of 3/2/14. If so, all I can do is wish you well as I am already committed on the other side of the state and while I am good, even I can't be in two places at once. :lol:

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Guys a warning - Romulus police have a history of corruption. In other words- criminals wearing badges in charge of other criminals in badges. They are not unlike many other Down River LEA, except they were so blatant in their criminal enterprises it could not be overlooked, like it is in most of their neighboring cities.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140127/NEWS02/301270116/Romulus-wife-police-chief-corruption

I rarely spent any time in "downtown" Romulus. As I recall it wasn't much to write home about. Access is easy via I-94. From my viewing of the wiki page, it's pretty accurate.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romulus,_Michigan

Last edited:

Raggs

I would think planning an event with a month notice or so as Ezerharden suggested would help with turn out. I may be eager to go to an event but if I am not given enough time to arrange going I son't go. I also tend to not voice why I don't go. Could be lack of a ride, prior engagement that if I had a little notice I could get out of or others.

FreeInAZ I am obviously not a member of MOC, just ask them, I am however pro open carry so I would hope that my opinion would matter.

Michigander

I would think planning an event with a month notice or so as Ezerharden suggested would help with turn out.

Getting like 5-20 people after months of advanced notice has been pretty typical of the events I've seen in the past few years. Remember the 5th anniversary meet in Lansing? We didn't even have 15 people show, and that was planned quite a ways in advance. We couldn't even get 10 people to decide to show for the march I tried to do last year, and I cancelled it.

Nonetheless, how about this, if one of the MOC guys wants to make it an official event or something a month from now, and commit to trying to go all out and post the event info all over the place, have at it. If so, I'll cancel this one, and evil creamsicle and I will see you on the west side this weekend. If you're going to do it, the exact date is obviously not important, but please do a new thread and send out emails and such, and do it soon, otherwise I will assume we are still on for sunday with whoever wants to come.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Getting like 5-20 people after months of advanced notice has been pretty typical of the events I've seen in the past few years. Remember the 5th anniversary meet in Lansing? We didn't even have 15 people show, and that was planned quite a ways in advance. We couldn't even get 10 people to decide to show for the march I tried to do last year, and I cancelled it.

Nonetheless, how about this, if one of the MOC guys wants to make it an official event or something a month from now, and commit to trying to go all out and post the event info all over the place, have at it. If so, I'll cancel this one, and evil creamsicle and I will see you on the west side this weekend. If you're going to do it, the exact date is obviously not important, but please do a new thread and send out emails and such, and do it soon, otherwise I will assume we are still on for sunday with whoever wants to come.

Seems to be a fair compromise. Ezerharden does most of the event planning for that are IIRC? So he'd be the one usually to send it to the MOC board and wait for their response. Again I'm speaking from past experiences - things may have changed. Hey - I'm sure PAT would love to see you guys. He's such a wonderful character. All kidding aside, I hear he's doing good work over there. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.