Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jensen Arms "High Capacity" Magazine Oulet in Wyoming

Jensen Arms "High Capacity" Magazine Oulet in Wyoming

http://www.jensenarms.net/WY-MAG-OUTLET.html

This appears to be shady at best. They were insistent that if you purchase a "high cap" mag out of state, it is totally legal to bring it back into the state. But that's not how I read the statute.

Any opinions On this?

Ha. Yeah. There's no way for a LEO or DA to prove you bought the mag after the effective date unless there's some manufacturing identification date.

The law doesn't say anything about taking your high cap mags out of state for trips, and the grandfather clause applies to CO residents and everyone else on the planet...so...there's that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Member SpringfieldCarry's Avatar
    You'd be correct. It's still illegal in Colorado to purchase a magazine with a total capacity exceeding 15 rounds I believe. No matter where it comes from. Now, it's all up to your local law enforcement and how they enforce this regulation. I know El Paso County will not enforce it as sheriff Makita stated in a conference a while back.

Posted via Galaxy S4 with Tapatalk

Strictly speaking, if you buy the high cap after June 30, 2013- it can't come into the state, but the law lays the burden of proof of when the mag was acquired squarely on the DA's shoulders.

Now, if you turned 18 (or even 21) after June 30, 2013 - you'd have to do some fancy logic work to show how you legally acquired the mags prior to the cutoff date.

Quote Originally Posted by tlevier View Post
    Now, if you turned 18 (or even 21) after June 30, 2013 - you'd have to do some fancy logic work to show how you legally acquired the mags prior to the cutoff date.

Not so much.
    I don't believe that it is illegal to own magazines if you are under 18 or 21?
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

Quote Originally Posted by MatieA View Post
    Not so much.
    Maybe, maybe not. Assuming you are right, they will simply retort that if you owned the magazines, you owned the gun as well. I'd respond by stating that I had already picked out the gun I wanted, and was accumulating a few spare magazines for it before I was old enough to purchase it, especially since I knew this law was about to take force. Having a couple of crippled mags of the type that came with the gun AFTER 1 July would make it quite plausible you had bought the *gun* after the ban (and after the birthday), but all the other standard mags before.

Quote Originally Posted by MatieA View Post
    Not so much.
    I hope not, I bought my son a dozen for his 12th birthday last January

Be careful of the "plastic" mags, many (most) have mold codes on them so the manufacturer can trace defects to the molds used. If the DA was really after your @ it could be possible to determine manufacture date from the mold code.

I have ~100 Magpuls, and just to be an @hole I am thinking of taking the Dremel Tool and a grinder tool to all markings other than Company markings, there are 2 areas that are suspicious.

Banned
    I think we all agree that the LCM laws are unconstitutional anyway.

Why fret?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I think we all agree that the LCM laws are unconstitutional anyway.

Why fret?
    I guess I shouldn't. It was just a strange thing to hear. As much as I like the idea of civil disobedience/flouting an unconstitutional law, I guess I figure "Do I want to be a test case?"

Indeed. The arrest will still be real even if illegitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInCO View Post
    Indeed. The arrest will still be real even if illegitimate.
    The burden of proof is on them, not you. As from the previously-mentioned "mold codes," how are they to prove you didn't simply bring them with you? The store is out of their jurisdiction. Even so, they may obtain an inter-state subpoena for the receipt. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, however, to figure out a solution. Please note I would never have mentioned this had I not also believed the mag limit prohibition to be a clear and unlawful infringement on our right to keep and bear arms.
    Last edited by since9; 02-28-2014 at 05:49 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Found a box full of them when I was scrounging for a water pump and alternator at the junk yard.

http://www.upullandpay.com/denver/home

The worst problem is that if you are accused of having purchased 16+ round magazine after the cutoff and the magazines are seized you have just lost them forever. Even if you walk on the charges because you have your receipt from 2012 still, you still lose the magazines since it is illegal for you to receive them after they leave your possession.

You also get screwed by "officer safety checks" and Abby other situation where the police seize your magazine for any reason. It is a very poorly written law.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

It's a very poorly written law... depending on your point of view, it might be a very fiendishly cleverly written law.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInCO View Post
    It's a very poorly written law... depending on your point of view, it might be a very fiendishly cleverly written law.
    Regardless, since it deprives those affected of the means of defending themselves, it's a very poorly written law.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

That makes it evil, not poorly written. It accomplishes its authors goals quite nicely--to ultimately cause the supply of standard magazines to dry up. If you were to point out to the assclowns who wrote it that confiscated magazines cannot be returned even if they were legal, they would not say "oh, that's not what we meant to do, we wrote it poorly" they'd say "good!" and pat themselves on the back for having cleverly put a hidden catch-22 in the law. Much like the $10 limit on the private transfer fee might look like a measure preventing FFLs from gouging you, but, because it does not cover their costs, it has made it almost impossible to do a lawful private transfer without someone breaking a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    The burden of proof is on them, not you. As from the previously-mentioned "mold codes," how are they to prove you didn't simply bring them with you? The store is out of their jurisdiction. Even so, they may obtain an inter-state subpoena for the receipt. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, however, to figure out a solution. Please note I would never have mentioned this had I not also believed the mag limit prohibition to be a clear and unlawful infringement on our right to keep and bear arms.
    As per bolded; you lived in CO before mag ban, mold code shows the mag was made after mag ban date = Shat creek, no paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebandw186 View Post

This appears to be shady at best. They were insistent that if you purchase a "high cap" mag out of state, it is totally legal to bring it back into the state. But that's not how I read the statute.

Any opinions On this?
    Yeah, my opinion is "so what". The law is to be openly ignored. If everyone who believes in the 2nd Amendment openly broke these laws, they would be forced to accept that they won't work and repeal them.

I'm glad Jensen's has the balls to do this.

If we're not careful, we are going to be "law abiding" right up to when they come for our guns. We have to take a stand when the risk is low, because there will be far less taking a stand when the risk is high.
    Last edited by bomber; 03-06-2014 at 12:29 AM.

I guess I shouldn't. It was just a strange thing to hear. As much as I like the idea of civil disobedience/flouting an unconstitutional law, I guess I figure "Do I want to be a test case?"
    If not you, then who?

I smell a serious lack of balls in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    As per bolded; you lived in CO before mag ban, mold code shows the mag was made after mag ban date = Shat creek, no paddle.
    (checking magazines...)

No mold codes. They're STEEL. No dates of any kind stamped on either the inside or the outside. I DO, however, keep receipts!

On a more serious note, the two which came with my firearm have no codes whatsoever stamped anywhere on them. Just the numbers 5, 10, and 15 next to the holes I use to count how many rounds remain.

The only thing stamped on my two aftermarket magazines are the gun's make, model, and caliber.

Any opinions On this?
    Awesome. I will be up that way in just a couple of months. I will stop in and grab a few. The law is useless since there is no way that they can prove that the mags were purchased after the law went into effect.

Shortly after last year's legislative session this cartoon was on a pro-gun web site...... Guess it is getting pretty close to reality now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	State Line Store.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	11369  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast