• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jensen Arms "High Capacity" Magazine Oulet in Wyoming

tlevier

Ha. Yeah. There's no way for a LEO or DA to prove you bought the mag after the effective date unless there's some manufacturing identification date.

The law doesn't say anything about taking your high cap mags out of state for trips, and the grandfather clause applies to CO residents and everyone else on the planet...so...there's that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpringfieldCarry

You'd be correct. It's still illegal in Colorado to purchase a magazine with a total capacity exceeding 15 rounds I believe. No matter where it comes from. Now, it's all up to your local law enforcement and how they enforce this regulation. I know El Paso County will not enforce it as sheriff Makita stated in a conference a while back.

Posted via Galaxy S4 with Tapatalk

tlevier

Strictly speaking, if you buy the high cap after June 30, 2013- it can't come into the state, but the law lays the burden of proof of when the mag was acquired squarely on the DA's shoulders.

tlevier

Now, if you turned 18 (or even 21) after June 30, 2013 - you'd have to do some fancy logic work to show how you legally acquired the mags prior to the cutoff date.

MatieA

Now, if you turned 18 (or even 21) after June 30, 2013 - you'd have to do some fancy logic work to show how you legally acquired the mags prior to the cutoff date.

Not so much.
I don't believe that it is illegal to own magazines if you are under 18 or 21?

SteveInCO

Not so much.
I don't believe that it is illegal to own magazines if you are under 18 or 21?

Maybe, maybe not. Assuming you are right, they will simply retort that if you owned the magazines, you owned the gun as well. I'd respond by stating that I had already picked out the gun I wanted, and was accumulating a few spare magazines for it before I was old enough to purchase it, especially since I knew this law was about to take force. Having a couple of crippled mags of the type that came with the gun AFTER 1 July would make it quite plausible you had bought the *gun* after the ban (and after the birthday), but all the other standard mags before.

F350

Be careful of the "plastic" mags, many (most) have mold codes on them so the manufacturer can trace defects to the molds used. If the DA was really after your @ it could be possible to determine manufacture date from the mold code.

I have ~100 Magpuls, and just to be an @hole I am thinking of taking the Dremel Tool and a grinder tool to all markings other than Company markings, there are 2 areas that are suspicious.

mikebandw186

I think we all agree that the LCM laws are unconstitutional anyway.

Why fret?

I guess I shouldn't. It was just a strange thing to hear. As much as I like the idea of civil disobedience/flouting an unconstitutional law, I guess I figure "Do I want to be a test case?"

since9

Campaign Veteran
Indeed. The arrest will still be real even if illegitimate.

The burden of proof is on them, not you. As from the previously-mentioned "mold codes," how are they to prove you didn't simply bring them with you? The store is out of their jurisdiction. Even so, they may obtain an inter-state subpoena for the receipt. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, however, to figure out a solution. Please note I would never have mentioned this had I not also believed the mag limit prohibition to be a clear and unlawful infringement on our right to keep and bear arms.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Found a box full of them when I was scrounging for a water pump and alternator at the junk yard.

http://www.upullandpay.com/denver/home

36_1_15.gif

arentol

The worst problem is that if you are accused of having purchased 16+ round magazine after the cutoff and the magazines are seized you have just lost them forever. Even if you walk on the charges because you have your receipt from 2012 still, you still lose the magazines since it is illegal for you to receive them after they leave your possession.

You also get screwed by "officer safety checks" and Abby other situation where the police seize your magazine for any reason. It is a very poorly written law.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SteveInCO

That makes it evil, not poorly written. It accomplishes its authors goals quite nicely--to ultimately cause the supply of standard magazines to dry up. If you were to point out to the assclowns who wrote it that confiscated magazines cannot be returned even if they were legal, they would not say "oh, that's not what we meant to do, we wrote it poorly" they'd say "good!" and pat themselves on the back for having cleverly put a hidden catch-22 in the law. Much like the $10 limit on the private transfer fee might look like a measure preventing FFLs from gouging you, but, because it does not cover their costs, it has made it almost impossible to do a lawful private transfer without someone breaking a rule.

F350

The burden of proof is on them, not you. As from the previously-mentioned "mold codes," how are they to prove you didn't simply bring them with you? The store is out of their jurisdiction. Even so, they may obtain an inter-state subpoena for the receipt. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, however, to figure out a solution. Please note I would never have mentioned this had I not also believed the mag limit prohibition to be a clear and unlawful infringement on our right to keep and bear arms.

As per bolded; you lived in CO before mag ban, mold code shows the mag was made after mag ban date = Shat creek, no paddle.

bomber

http://www.jensenarms.net/WY-MAG-OUTLET.html

This appears to be shady at best. They were insistent that if you purchase a "high cap" mag out of state, it is totally legal to bring it back into the state. But that's not how I read the statute.

Any opinions On this?

Yeah, my opinion is "so what". The law is to be openly ignored. If everyone who believes in the 2nd Amendment openly broke these laws, they would be forced to accept that they won't work and repeal them.

I'm glad Jensen's has the balls to do this.

If we're not careful, we are going to be "law abiding" right up to when they come for our guns. We have to take a stand when the risk is low, because there will be far less taking a stand when the risk is high.

Last edited: