• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Scream rooms' in schools are psychological sadism'

DrakeZ07

Sounds like the kid needs his rear tanned for acting out in school, but I have a feeling the parents need 'the belt' more than the kids, for allowing their kids to get out of hand, and for not researching about the public school to see how they handle, and deal with, X and Y situations.

This is why, if I ever have a kid, I'll probably home school them, or send them to a military private school for the first few years, so they learn to keep to themselves, learn about guns and safety, and to always have a plan to kill everyone they meet, twice.

Primus

Home schooling reminds me the George Lopez episode where he tells the daughter he's going to home school her. "What I don't know you don't know! When was the magna carter?! I don't know so neither do you!"

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

MurrayRothbard

Home schooling reminds me the George Lopez episode where he tells the daughter he's going to home school her. "What I don't know you don't know! When was the magna carter?! I don't know so neither do you!"

funny joke but do you think homeschooling parents only teach their kids what they themselves know?

mikeyb

These rooms are used in hospitals. When a patient is having a hard time or acting out or screaming, they are placed there until they calm down. It is meant to keep the other people in the wing calm and allow the limited staff to handle the patient. It usually is a last resort. Most of the time the patient is left alone, the wing area closed and the lights turned off. The patient is free to roam around until they can join the group again.

They are not supposed to be used as punishment. School fail.

Primus

funny joke but do you think homeschooling parents only teach their kids what they themselves know?

Well I'm certain they provide extra material for their kids to learn. But you can't physically teach someone something you don't know....

So if you literally don't know when the magna carta was you literally can't tell or "teach" your child that. Sure you can read it to them from a book, but then your learning with them since your receiving same info.

Or the other option is to just give the kids the books and say " read and do test". But that isn't teaching. That's providing material.

Fuller Malarkey

Well I'm certain they provide extra material for their kids to learn. But you can't physically teach someone something you don't know....

So if you literally don't know when the magna carta was you literally can't tell or "teach" your child that. Sure you can read it to them from a book, but then your learning with them since your receiving same info.

Or the other option is to just give the kids the books and say " read and do test". But that isn't teaching. That's providing material.

Sounds like the someone is projecting their own limitations on others. The majority of homeschooled children are taught by parents and / or a parental network that far exceeds the knowledge base of traditional teachers.

We don't put our most brilliant and promising in a Crown Vic with a ticket book. Those that are restricted by their limitations to such service may not understand the self sacrifice and selflessness involved with making the commitment to educate their kids.

Fuller Malarkey

Odd someone that lists "teaching" in their profile knows so little about the act. Maybe an update to "propagandist" is in order?

Fuller Malarkey

What kind of small, closed mind rejects the concept of a parent and child learning together?

Primus

Sounds like the someone is projecting their own limitations on others. The majority of homeschooled children are taught by parents and / or a parental network that far exceeds the knowledge base of traditional teachers.

We don't put our most brilliant and promising in a Crown Vic with a ticket book. Those that are restricted by their limitations to such service may not understand the self sacrifice and selflessness involved with making the commitment to educate their kids.

Odd someone that lists "teaching" in their profile knows so little about the act. Maybe an update to "propagandist" is in order?

What kind of small, closed mind rejects the concept of a parent and child learning together?

Lol couldn't you possibly reduce your useless posts to like.... I don't know.. one at a time?

I know you have an idis where you literally have to insert yourself in EVERY conversation I have with senseless bashing or insults, but by spreading it over 3 posts its affects the whole thread.

I still love you brother.. I haven't lost hope on reforming you and your ways.

Primus

Daily living provides continual events & opportunities to educate ourselves in some manner. When *We* Stop learning, then we must be Brain Dead.

Proper parenting in the home is more than full of instances in which Parent & Child(ren) interact for the furthering of your Ideals & Beliefs.
Thus, in essence, they become More like you & Not the Gov't Indoctrination Facilities that have & will continue to fail to "educate" yOUR offspring.

Homeschooling is the answer for a better future for our society.

I agree and it makes sense that the adult and child can learn together. But Rhys not teaching. That's all I was pointing out. Don't take it as a slight, just pointing something about what was already said.

I'm all for learning stuff with my son. But I won't be able to tell him I taught him calculus if I don't know it myself.

I'm for people having a choice for home schooling.

Fuller Malarkey

Lol couldn't you possibly reduce your useless posts to like.... I don't know.. one at a time?

I know you have an idis where you literally have to insert yourself in EVERY conversation I have with senseless bashing or insults, but by spreading it over 3 posts its affects the whole thread.

I still love you brother.. I haven't lost hope on reforming you and your ways.

Why don't you refrain from the personal attacks and address the questions put to you?

Primus

No question here. Just personal attacks.

No question here unless you consider the last a real question? If so it wasn't to me. It was posed to everyone else as a slight towards myself.

Was this the question you wanted answered? Again personal attacks by implying I'm small and closed minded. Except the sad part is I NEVER said a parent and child can't learn together. As usual in your haste to attack you lack any real merit.

Why don't you refrain from the personal attacks and address the questions put to you?

So what was that about personal attacks and answering questions?

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
What they're referring to here as "scream rooms" are essentially isolation chambers. Nothing particularly wrong with using a time out period to help an unruly student calm down. Complete isolation can be hard on some people. I know that in a mental health institute isolation methods are used, but there are mandated monitoring standards, from frequent checks to 24/7 watches. Not letting the child use the bathroom can be considered cruel and unusual punishment. The fact that the child ended up screaming and attempting to hang himself indicates he was emotionally frail to begin with. Isolation was particularly hard on him apparently.

Just another indication of our failed society. Our schools are expected to raise these kids since their parents are incapable of doing it themselves. And the school staff gets more and more desperate to retain some semblance of calm in the school where many students are out of control. They're out of control because they've never been taught any self-control, respect, or manners. In desperation the schools resort to more and more draconian methods of control, which fail miserably, as they must.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

Daily living provides continual events & opportunities to educate ourselves in some manner. When *We* Stop learning, then we must be Brain Dead.

Proper parenting in the home is more than full of instances in which Parent & Child(ren) interact for the furthering of your Ideals & Beliefs.
Thus, in essence, they become More like you & Not the Gov't Indoctrination Facilities that have & will continue to fail to "educate" yOUR offspring.

Homeschooling is the answer for a better future for our society.

I don't personally see homeschooling, and proper parenting in the home as furthering one, or mores, ideals, and instilling those ideas/beliefs in someones offspring. Try as a parent, or parents may, the best they can do is educate their child(ren) about the world, about life, and lessons passed on from one generation to another, and to teach the child(ren) how to use the tools to solve problems.

Reason I saw such, is because I was raised, and home-schooled in a deeply religious (Southern Baptist) home, and was taught from a good mix of the Bible, and material sent from a Creationist/Christian home-schooling institution's materials; And taught life lessons, which mostly focused on the projection of my parents beliefs, and ideals onto myself, for me to adopt and make myself more like them. And that is perfectly acceptable, and fine, when it comes to parenting, and home-schooling. Either, or, type of thing. But, if a stranger was to compare myself, with either of my parent(s) it's not hard to see that I've retained their educational instructions, and their life lessons immensely helped me in life, but their ideals and beliefs didn't get absorbed, and I share nothing in common, in terms of beliefs, and ideals, that my Mother, or Father holds/held.

So, I reject the notion that you mentioned, that proper parenting, and home education's primary benefits, and functions (it's all in the subtext), is to further ideals and beliefs.

But then again, I could be the only living exception to the rule, as most of the people I know who are, or was, home-schooled, are staunchly religious, and are militantly right-wing; where as I am staunchly anti-religious, and militantly centre-left. (That's humour, I'm trying to be amusing, and not serious in this paragraph.)

For the record, you used the ampersand (&) wrong. But it's okay, I wouldn't expect anyone who didn't go to private schools, to know the difference between using an ampersand (&), a comma, and/or the word 'and'.

stealthyeliminator

In every single college level course that I have ever taken the teacher has learned new things both from the material they are teaching and from their students. Every. Single. One. Your argument is invalid.

Last edited:

teddyearp

Hmmm, take and lock your child into a little room for hours at your house and see what happens . . . and/or 'restrain' them in any way . . . .

What a farking double standard!

Primus

In every single college level course that I have ever taken the teacher has learned new things both from the material they are teaching and from their students. Every. Single. One. Your argument is invalid.

Oh. Ok. Well that settles the debate then. Thanks for that informative tidbit of info.

You can't teach something you don't know. Period. I can't teach you to fly a plane. I can learn with you if we both take a lesson.

Primus

And I would even submit that I could even teach you from a book something j have no base for. For example... how can someone teach trigonometry if you don't have a basis in geometry or maybe calculus?

How can someone teach someone else chemistry without having some basis in science. Sure you can open a book and point and be like... ummm book says h2o. Just hope you don't get any serious questions.

If you do.... you'll be spending time looking it up yourself or asking others yourself. That's but teaching... that's learning... its fine if a student teaches you a trick or asks a question a certain way that makes you see something different. That's a good thing.

But that's different then having no idea what a molecule is and then teaching chemistry. Or teaching organic chem.