• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Scream rooms' in schools are psychological sadism'

stealthyeliminator

Oh. Ok. Well that settles the debate then. Thanks for that informative tidbit of info.

You can't teach something you don't know. Period. I can't teach you to fly a plane. I can learn with you if we both take a lesson.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

You're just quibbling over semantics, which isn't worth doing, really... The reason I responded at all was because it would seem as though you were trying to imply that homeschooling instructors were sometimes or somehow or generally less legitimate than the state's teachers - which I find rather disgusting.

If you could clarify your position on that (with more than just a "I think they should have the right to choose") then perhaps we could side-step this whole semantics issue.

stealthyeliminator

And I would even submit that I could even teach you from a book something j have no base for. For example... how can someone teach trigonometry if you don't have a basis in geometry or maybe calculus?

How can someone teach someone else chemistry without having some basis in science. Sure you can open a book and point and be like... ummm book says h2o. Just hope you don't get any serious questions.

If you do.... you'll be spending time looking it up yourself or asking others yourself. That's but teaching... that's learning... its fine if a student teaches you a trick or asks a question a certain way that makes you see something different. That's a good thing.

But that's different then having no idea what a molecule is and then teaching chemistry. Or teaching organic chem.

Are you implying that this is what happens in homeschooling? If not, then how is this at all even remotely relevant to the discussion?

Edit: Nevermind - your first post makes it clear. Homeschooling reminds you of ignorant people trying to teach their kids when they cannot legitimately teach their kids because they are ignorant. I care not for your ignorant thoughts on the subject of homeschooling. No need to reply to me, continue bickering with others if you wish.

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

Well I'm certain they provide extra material for their kids to learn. But you can't physically teach someone something you don't know....

So if you literally don't know when the magna carta was you literally can't tell or "teach" your child that. Sure you can read it to them from a book, but then your learning with them since your receiving same info.

Or the other option is to just give the kids the books and say " read and do test". But that isn't teaching. That's providing material.

That's exactly what all my public school and collge teachers did.. taught from a book and was there to answer questions. No different than my home schooling experience. My parents outsourced through tutors in our church for stuff they truly didn't know like French.

Anyone who deservedly received their high school diploma should be able to teach up to tenth grade material in most things, excluding advanced math or languages and such but there are plenty of 'co-op' systems out there for your kid to learn those outside of a public school.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

OC for ME

The 3Rs are taught, in my view, adequately by public schools. History, Social Studies/Government, not so much. It is a constant battle that I and my wife have to undo the damage that the public schools inflict on my two boys regarding this countries history and what government is and how it is supposed to work. Liberals have had 50+ years to rewrite the history of this country and to "teach" the purpose of government.

I have my boys read the Constitution, federal and state, then I ask them questions. I always ask "What did you learn in history and/or social studied today." I always tell my two boys to have the teacher call me where I think he/she got it wrong.

Regarding math, I always fuss at their teachers when they are dinged on not doing math problems the way the teacher wants. If my kid gets the correct answer and shows his work as to how he arrived at the correct answer then he got the problem(s) right and must be given full credit for their work. Teachers don't like it but the goal is the answer, not the process.

Grim_Night

Don't care,,, Hope ya' understand that it's nothing personal, just bid'nezz.

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghi t pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
fi yuo cna raed tihs tehn uyo rae na ioidt lkie ebvoyredy esle si !
:lol:

The reason this works is because of psychology. The human brain works regarding memory by a number of different functions. At the top of that list are 2 things known as association and "chunking". The limit to the number of items that are stored in your short term memory is about 5-6 items for the average person. That is to say, if I were to read off a list of 16 numbers one at a time, you would likely only be able to remember 5-6 of them in the correct order without having to write them down. Such as "1 4 9 2 1 7 7 6 1 8 1 2 1 9 4 1". But if I were to use "chunking" and group those same 16 numbers into groups, you could remember them alot easier. 1492 1776 1812 1941 Now to add to your ability to remember those numbers, you add association and remember that those now 4 numbers are in fact important years in American history...

Same concept regarding your above typed "words".