Thread: Not sure editor titled this op/ed piece correctly

Not sure editor titled this op/ed piece correctly

unless they think all gun carriers are prone to violence:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/opinion...ebook-comments

I couldn't resist.

I replied to the comments.

There is no Open Carry in Florida

If your holster is visible, you can be ticketed for open carry. So as usual, the "author" knows not of what they speak.

That is the major problem with today's crop of "journalists".

Too many are graduates of the Dangerous Dan Rather school of Yellow Journalism.
    Last edited by va_tazdad; 02-26-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Among other things,the article states:

In fact, they seem like more or less ordinary people.
    That seems likely to be the problem right there. We, as OC'ers must be extraordinary in our dealings with others while armed. We must not allow ourselves to succumb to anger over the vehicle next to us playing music louder than we'd like, or the theater patron in front of us using a cell phone. Currently our society finds it perfectly ordinary to become enraged when we're shown "disrespect" when in fact rage is not normal for an emotionally healthy individual.

Regardless of our opinions on polarizing subjects we must as individuals continually strive to improve ourselves.

[/soapbox]

Guess I'm feeling kind of preachy today . . .

When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

Quote Originally Posted by half_life1052 View Post
    I replied to the comments.
    as usual, there's no debating common sense with die hard liberals.

most annoying

I was all set to respond and then discovered I had no voice since I have (by choice) no Facebook account. I keep seeing that more often when I see outrageous commentary that needs rebuttal. My question is: Why did the TD run on a Texas Topic, yet another out of state commenter? Agenda? Naw, Ain't no agenda here! Nothing to see, move along.....
    Last edited by The Wolfhound; 02-26-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

"Did easy access to a gun have the ironic effect of inspiring more aggression and less willingness to back off than were prudent?"

Don't cops always have easy access?

"But once citizens begin publicly displaying in holsters their fears, insecurities, paranoia, aggression and inclinations to intimidate, ..."

Does he include law enforcement, or are they exempt from his hoplophobic rant?

Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    "Did easy access to a gun have the ironic effect of inspiring more aggression and less willingness to back off than were prudent?"

Don't cops always have easy access?

"But once citizens begin publicly displaying in holsters their fears, insecurities, paranoia, aggression and inclinations to intimidate, ..."

Does he include law enforcement, or are they exempt from his hoplophobic rant?

Just wondering.
    The author is missing the point. The real point is that "fears, insecurities, paranoia, aggression and inclinations to intimidate" are on the rise in our society. Rather than focusing on guns, we should be focusing on those issues.
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    I was all set to respond and then discovered I had no voice since I have (by choice) no Facebook account. I keep seeing that more often when I see outrageous commentary that needs rebuttal. My question is: Why did the TD run on a Texas Topic, yet another out of state commenter? Agenda? Naw, Ain't no agenda here! Nothing to see, move along.....
    That's a good question, and it makes both the TD and the author look stupid, since Virginia IS an Open Carry state, and the all too familiar "blood in the streets" cry has decades of disproving data.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    That's a good question, and it makes both the TD and the author look stupid, since Virginia IS an Open Carry state, and the all too familiar "blood in the streets" cry has decades of disproving data.

TFred
    When you have no evidence to support your claim, improvise. I am pretty sure that's either rule number one or two of modern journalism.
    Last edited by Gallowmere; 02-26-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Just to be clear

My location shows as Austin Texas but that is a recent change. I lived in Va. up til recently. Those that haven't had the pleasure of visiting this area of Texas would not believe the hoplophobic mindset of the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

TFred
    Denzil Hoff / " I am not aware of any mind or mood altering properties proven to be sourced from firearms." Really? You're serious?
    - Kenneth Bradford

This is what happens when you put a new twist in the argument to them. No response beyond ridicule. While pointing the finger at me and complaining about my "hoary" argument they fail to recognize the irony of what they are doing.

It is irksome that the gun grabber's guild will stand up and applaud such tired bilk as new and innovative while scorning us for just trotting out the same old arguments. The article was an appeal to emotion argument. Nothing more. Nothing less.