• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not sure editor titled this op/ed piece correctly

va_tazdad

There is no Open Carry in Florida

If your holster is visible, you can be ticketed for open carry. So as usual, the "author" knows not of what they speak.

That is the major problem with today's crop of "journalists".

Too many are graduates of the Dangerous Dan Rather school of Yellow Journalism.

Last edited:

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Among other things,the article states:

In fact, they seem like more or less ordinary people.

That seems likely to be the problem right there. We, as OC'ers must be extraordinary in our dealings with others while armed. We must not allow ourselves to succumb to anger over the vehicle next to us playing music louder than we'd like, or the theater patron in front of us using a cell phone. Currently our society finds it perfectly ordinary to become enraged when we're shown "disrespect" when in fact rage is not normal for an emotionally healthy individual.

Regardless of our opinions on polarizing subjects we must as individuals continually strive to improve ourselves.

[/soapbox]

Guess I'm feeling kind of preachy today . . .

:)

The Wolfhound

most annoying

I was all set to respond and then discovered I had no voice since I have (by choice) no Facebook account. I keep seeing that more often when I see outrageous commentary that needs rebuttal. My question is: Why did the TD run on a Texas Topic, yet another out of state commenter? Agenda? Naw, Ain't no agenda here! Nothing to see, move along.....

Last edited:

Repeater

"Did easy access to a gun have the ironic effect of inspiring more aggression and less willingness to back off than were prudent?"

Don't cops always have easy access?

"But once citizens begin publicly displaying in holsters their fears, insecurities, paranoia, aggression and inclinations to intimidate, ..."

Does he include law enforcement, or are they exempt from his hoplophobic rant?

Just wondering.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
"Did easy access to a gun have the ironic effect of inspiring more aggression and less willingness to back off than were prudent?"

Don't cops always have easy access?

"But once citizens begin publicly displaying in holsters their fears, insecurities, paranoia, aggression and inclinations to intimidate, ..."

Does he include law enforcement, or are they exempt from his hoplophobic rant?

Just wondering.

The author is missing the point. The real point is that "fears, insecurities, paranoia, aggression and inclinations to intimidate" are on the rise in our society. Rather than focusing on guns, we should be focusing on those issues.

TFred

I was all set to respond and then discovered I had no voice since I have (by choice) no Facebook account. I keep seeing that more often when I see outrageous commentary that needs rebuttal. My question is: Why did the TD run on a Texas Topic, yet another out of state commenter? Agenda? Naw, Ain't no agenda here! Nothing to see, move along.....
That's a good question, and it makes both the TD and the author look stupid, since Virginia IS an Open Carry state, and the all too familiar "blood in the streets" cry has decades of disproving data.

TFred

Gallowmere

That's a good question, and it makes both the TD and the author look stupid, since Virginia IS an Open Carry state, and the all too familiar "blood in the streets" cry has decades of disproving data.

TFred

When you have no evidence to support your claim, improvise. I am pretty sure that's either rule number one or two of modern journalism.

Last edited:

half_life1052

Just to be clear

My location shows as Austin Texas but that is a recent change. I lived in Va. up til recently. Those that haven't had the pleasure of visiting this area of Texas would not believe the hoplophobic mindset of the locals.

half_life1052

TFred

Denzil Hoff / " I am not aware of any mind or mood altering properties proven to be sourced from firearms." Really? You're serious?
- Kenneth Bradford ·

This is what happens when you put a new twist in the argument to them. No response beyond ridicule. While pointing the finger at me and complaining about my "hoary" argument they fail to recognize the irony of what they are doing.

It is irksome that the gun grabber's guild will stand up and applaud such tired bilk as new and innovative while scorning us for just trotting out the same old arguments. The article was an appeal to emotion argument. Nothing more. Nothing less.