Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: SR9c vs LC9 for CC

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    17

    SR9c vs LC9 for CC

    So I know this is an OC group but I was hoping for some input from some of you guys on a question I have. I am looking for personal opinion and any actual experience with these two guns. I am looking to purchase either an SR9C or LC9 this weekend. I plan to rent and shoot both before I make a decision but thought it might be wise to seek advice from veteran handgunners as well. Please give any thoughts you all might have and know it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Your choice for carry especially concealed carry depends on how you conceal and the comfort level you are looking for. This includes the type of clothing you wear. If you are looking at pocket carry IMO the LC9 would be best. If you are going for IWB the SR9C will do just as well as the LC9. Or you could just buy both.

    There are other combos out there that will make your bang for buck go much further like the Keltec line, or the SCCY line. You can get SAR(CZ clone) handguns for very reasonable also.

    If resale is a concern stick to the ruger line or the S&W line. If not then go for value.

    SAR compact Price $314
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...9MM+13RD+3.8IN

    SCCY 9mm Price $257
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...B1+Black+Zytel

    The Ruger SR9C sells for $411 from Buds. The LC9 goes for $351.

    I haven't checked the reviews for this gun, but it is compact and reasonable, it is a sig clone.
    Yugo 9mm CZ999 Sig Compact with 3.8" Barrel for $300 from centerfiresystems. You can also get a Keltec PF-9 Limited Edition 9mm in Billfold Brown #KELTEC-PF-9 from them for $240. Keep in mind though they often list firearms that are on backorder and it would be wise to call to check on the wait time.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 02-26-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    574
    I agree with Walking Wolf, except for the point about different manufacturers. For a carry gun, DO NOT skimp on quality. When/if you need it most, you need it to go bang. Getting a quality brand like Ruger/S&W/Glock/Sig/etc. will help guarantee this. Just my personal experience here, but I'd stay away from Kel-tec and SCCY for a carry gun. I've yet to find a really reliable gun from either manufacturer. Just my experience though. YMMV

    I can't say who, but I personally know someone that carries an SR9c using an IWB holster and loves it. I've shot the gun as well and it is quite easy to shoot, though the trigger pull is a little abrupt.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

  4. #4
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    I agree with Walking Wolf, except for the point about different manufacturers. For a carry gun, DO NOT skimp on quality. When/if you need it most, you need it to go bang. Getting a quality brand like Ruger/S&W/Glock/Sig/etc. will help guarantee this. Just my personal experience here, but I'd stay away from Kel-tec and SCCY for a carry gun. I've yet to find a really reliable gun from either manufacturer. Just my experience though. YMMV

    I can't say who, but I personally know someone that carries an SR9c using an IWB holster and loves it. I've shot the gun as well and it is quite easy to shoot, though the trigger pull is a little abrupt.
    He just has to do his homework and read the reviews, spend days going over them. Many of these guns are made for military in other countries and are very high quality. Like the TP9 which is a military issue weapon for Turkey, sells for $300 and has OUTSTANDING reviews. Any gun including the so called perfect Glock will have a failure, in fact the Glock 42 new owners are experiencing more than normal problems. Both the SCCY, and the SAR have exceptional reputations. I bought my Glocks for resale value, otherwise I would have bought any of the high quality imports. I bought last month a Pietta 1873 and am exceptionally pleased with it. I paid about one third the price of a new colt.

    Keep in mind the gun you cannot afford is worthless when you need it.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  5. #5
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Just a quick point. Many of the Turkish poly guns are NOT rated for +P rounds. If you are OK with that go for it. Some also only come with a one year limited warranty. Many of the manuals can be downloaded at the EAA website.

    Of your listed guns SR9c & LC9 (both made in the great state of AZ... ) They both have strong & weak points. SR9c you get more options - small 10 rd cc mag and 17 round mag included. Better holster selection and after market parts / accessories selection. Thicker tough and not as easy to carry discretely as the LC9.

    Here's a good deal on a SS SRc9 $369+ $ 5.99 shipping.
    http://www.slickguns.com/product/rug...poly-171-38995

    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 02-26-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  6. #6
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Turkey and Yugo police use 9mm NATO ammo, close to the same as our 9mm +P. I do not use +P in any gun except my 38 spl. And then they are only used as SD ammo not practice. IMO +P or NATO would be no problem in those guns.

    Personally I would never use +P 9mm in any gun, the pressures are RIFLE pressures. 35,000 is about as hot as I would want to go, NATO I believe is 36,500. Plus P is rated at around 38,000 much much higher than the big magnum calibers. I prefer to keep my hands and fingers, and IMO it is not needed. 9X23 have a case designed for 50,000 pressure, IMO that would be the way to go for hot 9mm. 9mm plus P have no extra case strength then standard pressure 9mm.

    380's are competently known to stop threats.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 02-26-2014 at 05:07 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    He just has to do his homework and read the reviews, spend days going over them. Many of these guns are made for military in other countries and are very high quality. Like the TP9 which is a military issue weapon for Turkey, sells for $300 and has OUTSTANDING reviews. Any gun including the so called perfect Glock will have a failure, in fact the Glock 42 new owners are experiencing more than normal problems. Both the SCCY, and the SAR have exceptional reputations. I bought my Glocks for resale value, otherwise I would have bought any of the high quality imports. I bought last month a Pietta 1873 and am exceptionally pleased with it. I paid about one third the price of a new colt.

    Keep in mind the gun you cannot afford is worthless when you need it.
    Maybe you missed the part where I said it was "just my experience"? I never said they don't have a reputation, nor that they can't make a quality product. I only said that I've had bad experiences with them, while I've not had bad experiences with the other brands. If you like them, buy them. I don't, so I won't.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

  8. #8
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Turkey and Yugo police use 9mm NATO ammo, close to the same as our 9mm +P. I do not use +P in any gun except my 38 spl. And then they are only used as SD ammo not practice. IMO +P or NATO would be no problem in those guns.

    Personally I would never use +P 9mm in any gun, the pressures are RIFLE pressures. 35,000 is about as hot as I would want to go, NATO I believe is 36,500. Plus P is rated at around 38,000 much much higher than the big magnum calibers. I prefer to keep my hands and fingers, and IMO it is not needed. 9X23 have a case designed for 50,000 pressure, IMO that would be the way to go for hot 9mm. 9mm plus P have no extra case strength then standard pressure 9mm.

    380's are competently known to stop threats.
    Wolf - I was just stating things most new buyers of the plastic Turkish guns miss. Ever try to ship a pistol to Turkey for warranty work? myself I have run more than a box or two of corbons down my glocks and Hi-Points too. Still have all my digits in tact.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  9. #9
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Wolf - I was just stating things most new buyers of the plastic Turkish guns miss. Ever try to ship a pistol to Turkey for warranty work? myself I have run more than a box or two of corbons down my glocks and Hi-Points too. Still have all my digits in tact.
    Running them and a few times are two different thangs. Sure there might be warranty problems, but ya know Glock is not made here either. Not saying they have bad service just that I really don't know the level of service of the other brands. I have full confidence that a standard 9mm will do the job, they have been for decades. Same reason I carry 44 special in my 44 mag, for most purposes I just do not feel I need that much. I would be comfortable carrying a 22lr as long as the round could be counted on to ignite the primer ALL the time.

    I don't have to send my Piettas back to Italy for service. The OP is the one who has to make the decision, I just laid out the other options to consider. He is under no obligation to look for himself. If his money is very tight a HP might be the solution, but he said conceal carry. To be honest a JA380 will get the job done, and they have fantastic service, literally overnight. When I lost my sear and spring they overnighted me the parts FREE, and it was my fault, they did not care. That gun has never had a misfire or a FTF/FTE.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  10. #10
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Well I've read through the B6 manual again. It lists a address in Florida for warranty work (1 year limited), my mistake. And your points are well taken. :thumbup:


    http://eaacorp.com/wp-content/upload...B6P_Manual.pdf
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 02-26-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  11. #11
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    At least on the SAR EAA cover the warranty on them.

    Attention: EAA/USSG will honor the factory warranty on all SAR products sold by us.

    http://eaacorp.com/

    A EAA witness 10mm is on my wishlist, another gun with outstanding reputation. I would buy another Star Modelo Super A if I could get my hands on. Absolutely no warranty on them.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 02-26-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    17
    Thanks for all the help guys. I hadn't really considered other brands as of yet, I'm kind of a Ruger fanboy to be honest. Don't really have a reason to be other than personal experience. I have handled and shot quite a few friend and family members guns and for some reason I keep coming back to Ruger. I'm thinking the SR9c is where I'm headed as deep concealment isn't what I'm after and I like the versatility it offers over the LC9. This will definitely not be the last gun I purchase so there's plenty of time to play around with different platforms. Again I thank you guys for the obvious passion and hope I might be able to offer some input for some of you someday.

  13. #13
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    We are glad to be of service. May you enjoy your SR9c PROUDLY BUILT in ARIZONA by ARIZONANS.... yessss!
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 02-27-2014 at 02:03 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    I own many Rugers and others you well enjoy and get many decades of use out of your Ruger.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  15. #15
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Ruger is a very good choice, not as expensive as a Glock but just as good, maybe better. I actually think the M&P from S&W is better based on LEAs switching to it over the Glock. It is a shame that no depts use the Ruger that I know of. It was same phenomena with revolvers many moons ago. S&W was the king, and Rugers were left with the security market, though their frame was superior.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  16. #16
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Ruger is a very good choice, not as expensive as a Glock but just as good, maybe better. I actually think the M&P from S&W is better based on LEAs switching to it over the Glock. It is a shame that no depts use the Ruger that I know of. It was same phenomena with revolvers many moons ago. S&W was the king, and Rugers were left with the security market, though their frame was superior.
    WW, I am only addressing the bold part of your comment; from my experience, it is not necessarily a reflection of a more quality product, but more to do with dollars and cents. Although anecdotal, the switches I'm familiar with are strictly a cost basis. Both companies produce a quality product, at this time, SW is buying the business, just like Glock did/does.

    To the OP, there are a lot of variables that come into play for a carry weapon. Some people focus on the physical features of the weapon to carry; some focus on the weight, some the manufacturer, some the caliber. My suggestion is to fondle as many as you can, speak to those who have the specific firearm you are curious about, fire it if possible; but once you buy it, practice with it. I mean not only shooting, but drawing, cleaning it. The more familiar you are with it, the more comfortable you will feel with it.

    So to answer your question between the two guns; the LC9 is lighter and I can tell a noticeable more amount of recoil than the SR9c, which is little larger and heavier. IMHO, for tight conceal, I would have chosen then the LC9; for the home or to go out shooting or to open carry, I would select the SR9c. Just my $.02. You really can't go wrong with either one of them.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  17. #17
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Bigger is better. I CCd my P90 for a day or two one weekend last December and it felt like I was hauling a dump truck around on the small of my back. Maybe I need to by me one of these toy guns. The SR9c seems like the better choice. But, I need a .40 or .45 cuz I don't want to have to buy another caliber of ammo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •