• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off-duty cop, OCing, shoots, kills firefighter.

deanf

Are they experts/trained at the deescalation of force?

Not sure why you would ask this. It seemed that an escalation of force was required, not deescalation (to ensure the man's violence was put to a stop). What would you have them do to "deescalate", whisper softly in the detainee's ear? Please. Because the officer did not have help, he was forced to use the maximum amount of force possible. If he'd had help to subdue the man, professional or otherwise, we might not be talking about this.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

I read he witnessed the battery, and pursued with intent to arrest.

I do not have a problem with that.

That would change my mind, unfortunately I can not find anywhere in the article where it says Hubbard witnessed the battery. The article states Bruno battered the Cab driver but it does not say Hubbard witnessed that battery. It does indicate that Hubbard witnessed 3 other individuals argue with Bruno and almost start a fight but then it also says Bruno was walking away, is that no what one is supposed to do?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

Jeff Hayes

Geerolla

If he didn't witness it I'm sure he was informed by the bystanders that intervened. An assumption, but highly plausible.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

DocWalker

Why should they have helped? Are they experts/trained at the deescalation of force? Was the film crew (how many?) physically larger than a policeman and a fireman?

While you (or I) may have been inclined to insert ourselves into an unsafe situation, the film crew was under no such inclination nor obligation to do so. If the film crew had intervened it does not prevent violence or death from occurring, as a matter of my opinion more could of been injured.

I guess it was taught to me by my father, the military, medical training, and/or when I went to the acadamy. Help other and don't just sit there and watch people die.....

Dam I wish I could be more passive.

Jeff Hayes

I guess it was taught to me by my father, the military, medical training, and/or when I went to the acadamy. Help other and don't just sit there and watch people die.....

I helped a Cop one time and I will never do it again.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I can't just automatically fault someone for not stepping in.

How many times have cops shot someone because they assumed bad intent? We are seeing the shooting of a man getting his cane just this week.

A cop in the middle of a fight, and the only possible scenario (in his mind at the time) is that the guy's friend is coming over to help him, not the cop. Now we have two people shot, and the other wrongly.

I'm also leery of automatically assuming anyone in a uniform is a cop. It's only a matter of time before it is far more prevalent for impersonators to use them for more and more evil.

If I came across two men fighting, not having seen what started it, I can't automatically assume the one in uniform is a cop, nor that he is the good guy. What is it that cops teach us to do? Stay out of it, and be a good witness. Hmmm, might be a perfect time for that.

Of course, you have the option to intervene, if you really think you know who the good guy is and you are willing to risk everyone else knowing you are another good guy.

DocWalker

How many times have cops shot someone because they assumed bad intent? We are seeing the shooting of a man getting his cane just this week.

A cop in the middle of a fight, and the only possible scenario (in his mind at the time) is that the guy's friend is coming over to help him, not the cop. Now we have two people shot, and the other wrongly.

I'm also leery of automatically assuming anyone in a uniform is a cop. It's only a matter of time before it is far more prevalent for impersonators to use them for more and more evil.

If I came across two men fighting, not having seen what started it, I can't automatically assume the one in uniform is a cop, nor that he is the good guy. What is it that cops teach us to do? Stay out of it, and be a good witness. Hmmm, might be a perfect time for that.

Of course, you have the option to intervene, if you really think you know who the good guy is and you are willing to risk everyone else knowing you are another good guy.

You have a point but in this case there is enough evidence on the video to tell that the guy is either a cop or "armed" security. If the cop was the bad guy then his gun would have come into play before it did.

Is the cop wrong for shooting the guy, probably not from the video we have seen. Should it have escalated to that...heck NO.

When they were wrestling the camera man was talking, he could have offered help.

That is the problem with sociaty today, Nobody wants to get involved to help others and in this case one is dead and one will need some serious counsling. This is a lose lose situation that could have been avoided.

Jeff Hayes

Well said If you did not see every thing go down you could actually be helping the bad guy, and yes sometimes that bad guy is wearing a uniform.

Last time I helped I was cuffed as roughly as they could manage without drawing blood and then was jacked in the ribs twice by one of his buddies right before he removed the cuffs after he knew I had helped. Never again. There is nothing like getting cuffed by three Cops when they think you were in on hurting their buddy. The Cop I helped was yelling at them the entire time that I had helped him but they did not listen. You would have thought they might have noticed me and the Cop were holding the guy down when they arrived.

OC for ME

The cop was in uniform and as such his status is irrelevant. RSMo 565.081,.082, and .083 make it a crime to assault a cop.

I suspect that the cop was authorized to engage Bruno. Bruno made a poor choice when confronted by a uniformed cop. He should have submitted to the cops authority and then pursued a redress of wrongs later.

RSMo 544 enumerates the powers that a cop in MO has regarding arrests. RSMo 544.216 specifically provides the authority for the cop to engage Bruno in my view:
...may arrest on view, and without a warrant, any person the officer sees violating or who such officer has reasonable grounds to believe has violated any law of this state, including a misdemeanor or infraction, or has violated any ordinance over which such officer has jurisdiction.
It is reported that the cop was responding to a report of a assault. He had a reasonable belief based on the report he received/heard. As a reminder, there is no such thing as a detainment in MO, only arrest. Whether or not the cop cuffs and stuffs, or just talks, once you submit to his authority you are under arrest.

Bruno resisted arrest. This entire incident is on Bruno and no other person.

No winners, only losers.

DocWalker

Well said If you did not see every thing go down you could actually be helping the bad guy, and yes sometimes that bad guy is wearing a uniform.

Last time I helped I was cuffed as roughly as they could manage without drawing blood and then was jacked in the ribs twice by one of his buddies right before he removed the cuffs after he knew I had helped. Never again. There is nothing like getting cuffed by three Cops when they think you were in on hurting their buddy. The Cop I helped was yelling at them the entire time that I had helped him but they did not listen. You would have thought they might have noticed me and the Cop were holding the guy down when they arrived.

Why the double post???

DocWalker

I hope you got a nice settlement from the department....if not you are stupid for not suing.

Jeff Hayes

I hope you got a nice settlement from the department....if not you are stupid for not suing.

No I did not sue, what good would that have done my word against 6 or 8 cops unless I got lucky and found an outside witness.

Thanks for the stupid comment it lets me know about the quality of the person addressing my post.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Good for you, but a majority of the people do not go into the military, nor have medical training nor attend the acadamy (sic). Heck, a good amount of people don't grow up with a father....

Nor are people compelled to intervene in a situation that can become and in fact did become deadly. Especially a film crew. (Full disclosure: my oldest daughter is a film major at Montana State University and is proficient with her handgun) Most film majors are probably not along the same internal makeup as you or I or anyone on this forum.

Just a perspective that we need to understand exists...

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
The use of force applies to all, once the threat is no longer imminent the use of force diminishes according to the threat.
The encounter with the officer is legitimate regardless of being off duty or not and when faced with imminent threat of life or limb the officer had every right to stop that threat and he did well within the law.

Viewing the video and the report, the Officer was completely justified in defending himself.

Last edited: