• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer shoots 70 yo man reaching for his cane.

Maverick9

I find this highly suspicious. Most people won't get out of their car. A disabled person even less likely to do so.

He did survive. Be interesting to hear his side.

If indeed he did get out and reached for something he might have a hard time collecting anything in a suit. Should have stayed in the car.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
“The situation is very unfortunate,” Faris said, reading from a statement at a news conference. “It does appear, at this time, that Deputy Knox’s actions were an appropriate response to what he reasonably believed to be an imminent threat to his life.”
"Appropriate"?????

Not "appearing appropriate."

But, "appropriate."

Kopis

one day a kid with a wii controller, the next day an old man with a cane.... yikes. i keep my hands on the wheel and show my papers when asked. :eek:

Maverick9

So, you are pleased to live in that world where you must be servile to survive? GeeZeus, kill me now.

No, you're smart. You don't have expired stickers, or speed or break traffic laws. Every stop on the road has a potential to lose your life - after all it's a stranger with a deadly weapon.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

No, you're smart. You don't have expired stickers, or speed or break traffic laws. Every stop on the road has a potential to lose your life - after all it's a stranger with a deadly weapon.
If officers are going to interact with the public with the assumption that "this guy may be the one guy out of thousands that kills me" then it would only seem appropriate for the public to interact with officers with the assumption of "this may be the cop that overreacts and shoots me."

It only takes that one guy, and if I don't know Officer Friendly then he's a danger with a deadly weapon, right?

DocWalker

If officers are going to interact with the public with the assumption that "this guy may be the one guy out of thousands that kills me" then it would only seem appropriate for the public to interact with officers with the assumption of "this may be the cop that overreacts and shoots me."

It only takes that one guy, and if I don't know Officer Friendly then he's a danger with a deadly weapon, right?

This goes to the "us against them attitude".

If an officer is that insecure then they need to find another line of work.

"APPROPRIATE"....my ^$%

OC for ME

Right.

This goes to the "us against them attitude".

If an officer is that insecure then they need to find another line of work.

"APPROPRIATE"....my ^$%
Sure. How about you head on down to your local LEA and ask the chief to get all those insecure cops, cuz we can tell who they are just by looking at them, to quit. Then life for thee and we gets better.....mmm'k.

onus

This is an excellent point and perfect context.

The FACT is police shoot/kill about 750 people every year in America.

Only about 35 cops are murdered every year in America.

Maverick9

This is an excellent point and perfect context.

The FACT is police shoot/kill about 750 people every year in America.

Only about 35 cops are murdered every year in America.

In addition in the first instance, it's illegal to fight back or resist. You have to just stand there and be killed, then hope your survivors can win a settlement in court (in most states).

Primus

In addition in the first instance, it's illegal to fight back or resist. You have to just stand there and be killed, then hope your survivors can win a settlement in court (in most states).

Negative... you have a right to resist if your life is in danger... been covered here many times.

Key words are only if life is in danger. So no if someone says "put your hands behind your back" you cannot resist and say no. That's resisting arrest (no force). You can actively resist arrest and fight back but that'll add more charges.

If someone is beating you in the head with a baton then you can resist.

I believe the case was where the cop was shot because he was using excessive force? I know someone will correct me if that's wrong.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

DocWalker

Right.

Sure. How about you head on down to your local LEA and ask the chief to get all those insecure cops, cuz we can tell who they are just by looking at them, to quit. Then life for thee and we gets better.....mmm'k.

You can tell them by their aggressiveness.

Shoot an old man with a cane...get fired.

Shoot a kid with a wii controler in his home...get fired.

Shoot someone while handcuffed and on the ground...get fired.

Beat a guy to death while he is handcuffed...get fired.

Pretty simple, might not help that person but it would help the community as a whole.

I forgot, shoot an unarmed scared lady driving away in the back....get fired. (this one actually happened and the town is safer for it)

How many think the wii and cane killers will get fired?????

OC for ME

Negative... you have a right to resist if your life is in danger... been covered here many times.

Key words are only if life is in danger. So no if someone says "put your hands behind your back" you cannot resist and say no. That's resisting arrest (no force). You can actively resist arrest and fight back but that'll add more charges.

If someone is beating you in the head with a baton then you can resist.

I believe the case was where the cop was shot because he was using excessive force? I know someone will correct me if that's wrong.

Not in Missouri. If that someone is a cop arresting you that is.

Primus

Not in Missouri. If that someone is a cop arresting you that is.

I apologize I should have said loom to state law. I was in reference to all the supreme court decisions guys have thrown around on here about it. That's all.

Firearms Iinstuctor

That's interesting, "should have" for a traffic stop arrest without warrant.

The reason cops want to come to your window is to take the extra-legal sniff and peek search.

That is only part of the reason the other part is that drivers often do stupid things when they get out step out into traffic, stand in the traffic lane, stand in between the vehicles.

Being out side your vehicle along a busy highway is a more dangerous place then inside.

OC for ME

The LE knee-jerk response.....it, the shoot, is justified until it is found to not have been justified.

Release the dash cam video!!!
LE has a vested interest in perpetuating the mindset that every shoot is a good shoot until there can be no further value to maintaining such a position. Time, more of it, is the number one goal of LE in a cop involved shooting. Once the incident gets past a week then the "outrage" is long gone, except for a small, vocal, and easily discounted/ignored few.