Thread: Russian warship Viktor Leonov docks at Havana

Russian warship Viktor Leonov docks at Havana

Moscow managed to sneak a warship with electronic eavesdropping technology past a negligent Obama administration and docked in Havana harbor.

If there are weapons aboard or even control systems for weapons systems being smuggled or already present, Russia will have gained a definite first strike capability.

http://likeomggunsareforlosers.blogs...in-havana.html

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

You do know that the Soviets have a first strike capability already.....right?

Having been in the Navy, I'm sure we have been tracking that ship since it left its home port, but if you want to be afraid, go for it.

Non-story. She's an intel trawler and those have been docking in Cuba ever since Whatsisname-with-the-beard took over. And, if you think, and they think, she sneaked in there totally unobserved, both of you have another think coming.

Back in the sixties, pre-intelsat days, we had the capability of tracking such ships almost anywhere in the world. I would venture to say that surveillance now is even more sophisticated.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

The thing was likely on Twitter posting regular updates. I'm too lazy to see if they have a Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Non-story. She's an intel trawler and those have been docking in Cuba ever since Whatsisname-with-the-beard took over. And, if you think, and they think, she sneaked in there totally unobserved, both of you have another think coming.

Back in the sixties, pre-intelsat days, we had the capability of tracking such ships almost anywhere in the world. I would venture to say that surveillance now is even more sophisticated.
    That is what Fat Albert was used for...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    If you call improperly maintained ICBMs "capable." If you call 70 constantly crashing computer systems controlling the arsenal "capable." Maybe. But having it in Cuba makes it that much closer and allows them to literally strike first, destroying some of ours as they are being launched. It's an advantage the world cannot afford them to have. Our technology is at least 10 years ahead of theirs. We have first strike capability. The USSR collapsed because of the fact that communism could not keep up financially with capitalism and they bankrupted themselves.

No money means mid 90s computer technology is the norm, maybe a few places with a few modern pieces of equipment. Take it from a guy whose bills are paid selling that junk online to former eastern bloc satellite states. Its why they tried putting bases on Cuba in the past.

Soviets are history. They call themselves the Russian Federation now. They are also much more hardline and sadistic than before. Look at their not president President.

OK.

They "snuck it past", did we have a blockade of Havanah Harbor? Of Cuba? Did it sneak in under cover of darkness?
    "Warship" has (2) AK-630 30 mm/ Gatling guns and (2) SA-N-8 surface-to-air missiles.

TheOptimisticConservative The [Lenonov] is not a fighting platform; certainly not for projecting military power ashore. She has two 30mm guns and a pair of launchers for short range anti-air missiles (the SA-N-8 “Gremlin” system, the naval version of the SA-14). Her presence in the region is not a military tactical advantage for Russia’s clients.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 02-27-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Looks like a rust bucket.

Just a carefully orchestrated facade to lull us all into a false sense of security before the the Ruskies start dropping paratroopers on Key West's Duval St.

http://keywest.com/bars.html#.UxCVoRDtr7M

ATM Ukraine, a Commonwealth Independent State, is complaining of invasion by Russia as the airports are seized by Russian troops.

Ships are "rust buckets" while at sea for long periods. I was amazed by the appearance of my submarine after more than a year at sea, mostly submerged and with no appearance maintenance.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    Moscow managed to sneak a warship with electronic eavesdropping technology past a negligent Obama administration and docked in Havana harbor.

If there are weapons aboard or even control systems for weapons systems being smuggled or already present, Russia will have gained a definite first strike capability.

http://likeomggunsareforlosers.blogs...in-havana.html

If you call improperly maintained ICBMs "capable." If you call 70 constantly crashing computer systems controlling the arsenal "capable." Maybe. But having it in Cuba makes it that much closer and allows them to literally strike first, destroying some of ours as they are being launched. It's an advantage the world cannot afford them to have. Our technology is at least 10 years ahead of theirs. We have first strike capability. The USSR collapsed because of the fact that communism could not keep up financially with capitalism and they bankrupted themselves.

No money means mid 90s computer technology is the norm, maybe a few places with a few modern pieces of equipment. Take it from a guy whose bills are paid selling that junk online to former eastern bloc satellite states. Its why they tried putting bases on Cuba in the past.

Soviets are history. They call themselves the Russian Federation now. They are also much more hardline and sadistic than before. Look at their not president President.

So...are you worried that the Russians have docked a piece of crap, outdated, unreliable, uncapable ship that looks like it has been made for some sort of warfare in Cuba? How can they be capable of eavesdropping when you allude to the fact that they have (according to you) a not so "capable" tech? Or are you just bragging that you sold Russia or some former eastern bloc states pieces of crap? Or you worried that they are hardline and sadistic and now they are after you for selling them said crap?

Mixed messages, here, mixed messages!

Noticed that too, did'ja?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Just a carefully orchestrated facade to lull us all into a false sense of security before the the Ruskies start dropping paratroopers on Key West's Duval St.

http://keywest.com/bars.html#.UxCVoRDtr7M
    The Russians are coming. The Russians are comin.
    http://movieclips.com/NbS7-the-russi...get-organized/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I love that movie. Well replayed Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    But, C'mon! Their openin' up the bah!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    But, C'mon! Their openin' up the bah!
    Aftah the bah opened up they sure did look organized to me.

Russia Seeks Access to Bases in Eight Countries for Its Ships and Bombers

"Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Wednesday the military was engaged in talks with Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Algeria, Cyprus, the Seychelles, Vietnam and Singapore. “We need bases for refueling near the equator, and in other places,” ITAR-Tass quoted him as saying. Russia is not looking to establish bases in those locations, but to reach agreement to use facilities there when required. The countries are all strategically located – in three leftist-ruled countries close to the U.S.; towards either end of the Mediterranean; in the Indian Ocean south of the Gulf of Aden; and near some of the world’s most important shipping lanes in the Malacca Strait and South China Sea.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/....lIvH5v9d.dpuf

Enemy at the gates: Russia rolls in the tanks, armored personnel carriers

"Russian armored personnel carriers are on their way to Crimea, and Ukrainian officials are calling it a “military invasion and occupation. [ ... ] Meanwhile, Russians armed with rifles and wearing military uniforms stormed into Crimea’s main airport and took up positions on Friday. The Russian Foreign Ministry said movements of armored vehicles belonging to the Russian Black Sea Fleet were prompted by the need to ensure security of its base and didn’t contradict the lease terms, Haartez reported."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ersonnel-carr/

http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.577037

http://ruptly.tv/vod/view/9992/cuba-...ocks-in-havana

The Viktor Leonov CCB-175 is a Vishnya-class intelligence ship currently crewed by 200 servicepeople. The vessel measures 91.5 metres (300 feet) long and 14.5 metres (48 feet) wide. Built in Gdansk, Poland, the Viktor Leonov was commissioned in 1988.

It can travel up to 7,000 nautical miles at 16 knots speed, with a maximum speed of 16.5 knots, and can operate autonomously for 45 days. The vessel’s surveillance gear includes the Profile-N, Rotor-N and Prokhlada systems. It is armed with 30-mm AK-630M closed-in weapons systems, and launch systems for 9K38 Igla missiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9K38_Igla

The 9K38 Igla (Russian: Игла́, "needle") is a Russian/Soviet man-portable infrared homing surface-to-air missile (SAM). "9K38" is the Russian GRAU designation of the system. Its US DoD designation is SA-18 and its NATO reporting name is Grouse; a simplified, earlier version is known as the 9K310 Igla-1, or SA-16 Gimlet. The latest variant is the 9K338 Igla-S NATO reporting name SA-24 Grinch. It has been fielded by the Russian Army since 2004.[1]
    There exists a two-barrel 9K38 missile launcher called Djigit

The ship looks old and decrepit. So do I, that does not make me less dangerous. The "missiles" are MANPADS that will not fly from cuba to fla. The ship has been there before.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    They are not russians ... just undocumented immigrants ...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    They are not russians ... just undocumented immigrants ...
    Not until they set foot on our soil they are not - further, they are in Cuba.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.