• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 vs. G20 vs. G34

Primus

My 9mm is full-sized and double-stacked. While it doesn't pack the punch of a .45, I do have 16+1. As it is, a double-stacked 9mm is no wider than a single-stacked .45.

Tradeoffs/

I carried mine shoved in my waistband behind my right hip, when working undercover, and it was very secure that way. Wearing a holster is a dead giveaway that you are a cop.[/qutoe]

And if you're not a cop? The most frequent question I've been asked while OC is, "Are you a cop?" I tell them "no," but as I'm not actively bringing down bad guys, it's not a detriment for those who don't ask to think I may be.

I'll have to put up comparison photos of the G34 and 1911 to see about the width thing. I was already asked for photos just need to make time to shoot (get it?) them. I might be wrong but pretty sure my 23 and 34 are about same width. But one is 9mm and one .40 both double stack. I'm curious now. When I get home I'll check and post tomorrow.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... As it is, a double-stacked 9mm is no wider than a single-stacked .45...

It doesn't need to be, no, but some are.

But what really matters more is that the single-stack can have a more rounded cross-section through the grip. It feels less like a brick.

Firearms Iinstuctor

A lot of this if one gun is more concealable then another is more about how or what one is wearing then the firearm.

If one is down to a pair of shorts and no shirt about the only thing is a LCP sized firearm. Add a long tailed shirt and a good belt you can move up in sized a lot.

Moving up to a well fitted suit cut to carry you can hide most full size hand guns, my 7.5 in Red Hawk is very hard to hide.

Move up to a good sized loose fitting jacket you can hide even that.

Cover your self with a cold weather parka I could hide a M4

Good holsters and belts also help make handguns more concealable.

Also why and where you need to conceal if you are some place where being found out means death or lengthy jail time one needs to be a lot more careful.

If your in one of the more freedom loving states it doesn't matter as much if some one notices or thinks that they notice that your armed.

What I wear is more weather related then a fashion statement. So when I am open carrying my firearm on a good belt rig then the weather turns a bit and I throw a shirt or jacket on. Now it is concealed doesn't matter if some one sees it, not one bit.

If one is illegal doing so then yes if your have a permit or are in a constitutional carry state no.

When I walk out of the house this morning at -10 below my side arm well be concealed.

OC for ME

Do you conceal IWB? Or just regular holster with low enough hem line? If you use an IWB do you find the size and or weight an issue?

I'm tempted to start carrying the 1911

Please excuse my interjecting.

I tried a IWB with my XD and I found that the cost of buying larger pants unacceptable. I use a paddle holster, DeSantis Viper, which rides high on the belt and my normal coats, Carhart, covers while not bending over. I really do not attempt to "concealed means concealed" while I carry. MO is a OC state, fortunately. My lightweight jacket (field coat) is from L.L. Bean which is longer and drops below my jeans pockets.

Primus

Please excuse my interjecting.

I tried a IWB with my XD and I found that the cost of buying larger pants unacceptable. I use a paddle holster, DeSantis Viper, which rides high on the belt and my normal coats, Carhart, covers while not bending over. I really do not attempt to "concealed means concealed" while I carry. MO is a OC state, fortunately. My lightweight jacket (field coat) is from L.L. Bean which is longer and drops below my jeans pockets.

No excusal needed your input and opinion is always welcomed.

I wear the same size pants all the time whether concealing or not, but I appendix carry so the gun naturally fits in your hip area. Ive never tried the over the rear side of the hip thing or directly at the three on the hip, but I can see why it would cause tightening of the pants since its already at a stretch point of the pants.

Also, if you ever do decide to conceal check out the blade tech nano holsters. Pretty awesome. Great protection on the firearm and extremely thin to not add bulk in your pants.

Cava3r4

full sized double stack 1911 that holds 14 +1.
comp tac IWB holster OR alien gear IWB holster (depends on where belt loops are)
a GOOD belt. Mine is an IHL (international handgun leather) and it is 1-1/2 inches wide x almost 1/4 inch thick x 6 pack abs in length.
This works very well here in sunny AZ year round.