Thread: Mayor George Heartwell: It's time to put an end to 'senseless gun violence'

Mayor George Heartwell: It's time to put an end to 'senseless gun violence'

Grand Rapids Mayor George Heartwell, a member of MAIG, is teaming up with Moms Demand Action - Michigan. I know this isn't news to us, but apparently they thought it necessary to write a guest column announcing it.

I know reading the comment sections normally makes us all sick, but I suggest you take a look at this article. Add your own thoughts too.

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/grand-r...oms_deman.html
    Last edited by bigt8261; 02-28-2014 at 10:59 AM.

The link provided is not working. Keeps showing me, "page not found."
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

Sorry, fixed.

My favorite part from the comments section, "Tom Lambert has become the voice of the people of the grand rapids area. Maybe he should run against Hartwell and get some sense in office in Grand Rapids. Then the issues will get fixed."
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

Well I'll say this for the Mayor: once he commits to an idea, no matter how flawed or irrational- he is like a stone pillar. The thing that bothers me the most is: he is perfectly fine with having armed LEO's there to intimidate the law abiding citizens, yet if a citizen chooses to take responsibility for their own safety and carry a side arm legally ....they are the intimidating ones?

Their idea to install metal detectors is flawed also. - 1. Not needed for OCers 2. Will only identify CCers. 3. Will not allow them to ban pistols....so what's the objective again...?

Intimidate/embarrassing carriers into not doing a LEGAL activity. Tell me again who the Mayor says the bullies are..
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 02-28-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    Clearly these people prefer children to be gunned down via shotgun blasts v. rifles.

So, given that they don't want kids to be shot all all...their argument falls flat.

I love the comments section, not a single pro-Harwell post as far as I could tell (I didn't read all of them). By the way, the post contributor with the signature, OC4me, is not I (but he did make some good points).
    Last edited by OC4me; 02-28-2014 at 04:57 PM.