• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody Know Anything About Jimenz Arms?

southernredneck1

I was having a general firearm discussion at work the other day, and one of the secretaries said that she kept a .380 in her night stand. Of course we, as men do like we always do and asked who made it. She said that she wasn't sure as she wasn't the one that purchased it and it came from a gun show, but she has shot it a couple of times. So I told her I would take a look at it, and its a Jimenez JA .380. Not knowing anything about the gun, I went online to check them out. I even sent an email back in November to the company to see about getting a replacement manual for the tear down, but I have never heard anything back. All the reviews are back and forth, kinda like reviews for Hi-Points. Anybody have any experience with them and know were to get some extra mags for one of these?

Gil223

The company has essentially changed it's label three times, each of which were descendants in some bifurcated way from George Jennings' "Raven" Arms.

Jennings Firearms - started in the late 1970's, and owned by Bruce Jennings - was an earlier incarnation of what eventually became Bryco Arms.

The Jennings Raven - and it's successor, the infamous Jennings J-22 (.22LR semi-auto pistol), was considered to be a "Saturday Night Special", which was generally accepted to be the PC term for a genuine P.O.S.

Bryco Arms, another "Saturday Night Special" - also owned by Bruce Jennings - was the second iteration. This was produced in a different facility in a different city than were the Jennings. Bryco went bankrupt after losing a $20,000,000+ lawsuit for defective manufacture of a .380acp, whose defect was held responsible by a California court for a young boy being paralyzed.

In 2004, some guy named Jimenez bought Bryco for cheap, and resumed making the same models with new designations in Costa Mesa, CA. California State requires guns made there to pass a safety test, which the Jimenez guns failed. Rather than go to the time, trouble and expense of a retest, he moved to operation to Nevada which does not have a requirement for safety testing. This alone would make me question the quality of the Jimenez line, given it's genealogy.

Personally, if a low-end handgun was my wallet's high-end, I'd go with something like one of the Sccy CPX models for about $250-$325. But I prefer Colt's, CZs, Kahrs, and Glocks. But, it's your money, not mine. Buy whatever tickles your fancy. Pax...

Last edited:

southernredneck1

Thanks for the history. I am not planning on buying it, just was wondering if anybody had any experience with one, being that I have never heard of one prior. Basically just trying to find out if it was reliable or if she needed to find something else for home defense.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I was given a Bryco 9mm I destroyed it in a hundred rounds.

It was not a functional fire arm after shooting those 100 rounds

Last edited:

Primus

I was given a Bryco 9mm I destroyed it in a hundred rounds.

It was not a functional fire arm after shooting those 100 rounds

Well that's because the pointy end goes forward when you put the shiny things in it :)

No but seriously, what exactly failed? Did the gun physically break in pieces? Or some internal thing with the action group?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

My wife has one, she picked it out. It is her pocket carry at work. It has been through several boxes of ammo without one failure. It is a inexpensive handgun meant for personal defense, not a range gun. It is not meant to handle thousands of rounds, or hot ammo. It functions best with FMJ which is enough in a 380, it is all I would use in a 380.

OP don't be swayed by people who do not own or never have owned one. If it is what you can afford or have, use it, but not a lot. Take it apart, inspect it for cracks, clean it and lube it. Buy a box of ammo and put through it for function, if it works buy another box and keep it. Or give it to me, I am not a gun snob, I like all guns. While I would not buy a used one, I would a new one in a heart beat. They work, they are the same design as a Hi Point, and I have never heard of any injuries from one going kaboom. Unlike another very popular, expensive handgun.

When the ring of fire guns have a problem it is in two places, never heard of it happening to both at the same time. Both result in the slide, or remnants flying forward of the frame, and hands and face. If the FP retainer fails the slide flys forward while returning to battery. If the front lug on the frame breaks the slide will fly forward and up, again away from the shooter. It is not like this on other more expensive semi autos, in a Glock, 1911 or most guns that the slide operates with frame rails. If the slide breaks at the front of the slide it will come back and hit you in the face.

As far as CA rules and handguns being made in different states. Most manufacturers could not make firearms in CA, including Rock Island, and other 1911 handguns. I am not positive but I have heard CA did not clear the Gen 4 Glock.

The other 200 to 300 dollar range guns have ALL had their problems with issues. All of them! Including the new Glock 42. You could post about a SCCY and a half a dozen people will show up to tell you it is junk. MAYBE one person may have actually owned one. Or as seen in another thread when I brought up these guns, somebody almost immediately showed up to put them down.

In the gun snob world if you did not pay over a grand for your gun and accessories it is junk. If it is not one of the major brands, it is junk. And in one world no matter how much you pay, if it is a Glock it is junk.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

It has been a while ago see if I can remember the frame and slide galled so bad it felt like to course files rubbing together and wouldn't function, some small part fell off or out .

The person who gave to me wanted back it shortly after he gave it to me. I it gave back to him telling him is was not functioning any more.

I didn't do a complete tear down to see what exactly what broke because it wasn't worth the time or effort.

WalkingWolf

The slide on the JA 380 does not ride on the frame. The FP retainer acts both as a FP retainer and a slide rail, like many bushing less guns the front of the slide rides on the barrel. If it was gritty all it needed was a good cleaning in the FP track, that has nothing to do with the frame. I repeat, the slide does not ride on the frame, in fact looking through the side of the gun one can see daylight on the other side..

The slide is held to the frame by a steel pin in the rear of the frame that the retainer hooks on. That does not move in the frame. To remove the slide the retainer is unhooked from the pin on the frame by pushing in on the retainer while lifting the slide. The track is very easy to clean on any ring of fire gun, unlike the FP tracks on more expensive semi auto firearms.

Gil223

And in one world no matter how much you pay, if it is a Glock it is junk.
LOL! Your personal prejudice is obvious:lol:, and the "world" to which you refer must require a spacecraft to reach. I owned a Jennings J-22 once... the firing pin snapped after less than a half box of ammo. If that's not an indication of crap, I don't know what is. Rohm (now UMAREX) made some poor quality "Saturday Night Specials" in the 1950's and 1960's, but they were cheap (not to be confused with inexpensive). Everybody understands cost... not everybody understands quality. Criminals can rob a 7-11 or a gas station just as efficiently with a J-22 as they can with a Wilson Combat model, and if that's all they want a handgun for they don't have $1,200+ invested in their tool. For criminals, the firearm is (primarily) a tool of intimidation, and the big difference between the J-22 and a Wilson would be the size of the hole at which the victim was staring.

I do agree with your assessment of "gun snobs", though. I have no use for a handgun that I can't depend upon, or for one that costs more than some vehicles I have driven. We don't have to spend our kids college fund, or take out a second mortgage on our home, in order to buy a high quality, dependable handgun. I have no personal need for either extreme in handgun quality. A decently maintained 10 year old Chevy Impala will take me anywhere a new Bugatti will, it just doesn't yell "HEY!! LOOK AT ME - I HAVE MONEY!!" Every type of property has snobs! The "look at me" toys are their trademark - their way of saying "I have more money than you do."

Regarding Glocks specifically, I have had one of the first commercial G17 models since the mid-1980's (around 1986 [± 1 year] as I recall), I've put at least 25,000 rounds thru it, probably fed it almost everything made in the US, and never experienced any kind of failure to function. I do keep it reasonably clean, but I am not "anal" about it. I have many different major manufacturers handguns (Colt, Glock, CZ, Kahr, Ruger, S&W, etc.) all purchased new, and I have never paid less than $250 (except for the Jennings, which is long gone) or more than $550 for any of them. They all shoot pretty-much POA, and the only trouble I've had with any of them is when the rear sight on my K9 decided to depart the slide about 6-7 years ago - an easy, inexpensive fix.

Personally, I have never had an experience with a really cheap (other than the Jennings, which I bought from a cash-strapped private individual as "NIB") handgun that made me blurt out, "I MUST HAVE THAT!" (The dividing line between "cheap" and "inexpensive" isn't always clear to folks, but in my world cheap is a $400 pistol that has frequent FTF/FTE problems, and inexpensive is a $250 pistol that works every time for a long time.)

WalkingWolf

That was supposed to be if it is NOT a Glock it is junk. And it has nothing to do with my prejudice, I now own two. It has to do with the rabid, unreasonable, stupid, ignorant Glock snobs. Not pointing to anyone in particular, but if the statement is offensive you might be a Glock Snob.

It is always interesting to claims, but as in one instance the claiming person does not even know that the slide and the frame do not rub. This happens time after time with gun snobs that put down anything and everything. Not sure why, unless it is either inferiority complex and they have to try to insult others. Or just PO'd that they spent a LOT of money to only have someone stand next to them and do the same thing they are for a hell of a lot less.

We have two Saturday night specials, both my wife's and they function flawlessly. For me paying over 500 for a gun, and paying less than 200 for gun that both do the same thing is a no brainer. Right now there is a thread after thread on the Glock forum for the problems the new owners of Glock 42's are having. Should we condemn the Glock line? Or condemn the 42? Not in my opinion, problems probably will be resolved, but it is just funny to watch the snobs twist themselves anytime anything is mentioned with the Glock name. As long as it is not a slobbering glowing praise of the Godly Glock.

Yes I am bias, value bias! Until Glock resolves their problems on the 42, I would point people to buy another firearm, that costs less. That could be anything from the Ruger on down.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I am a gun snob I like guns good quality guns even better

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...cVUuiAHuJA4Rxgbp9fq3CmQ&bvm=bv.62286460,d.aWc

I own who knows how many different brands makes and models I even own a J-22 My guns have to work if they don't work they are junk IMHO. My J-22 works and serves a special purpose of shooting coyotes caught by the hounds. It rides in my pocket with a empty chamber and only gets loaded at the point of kill.

It does that well I jack one into the chamber put the muzzle next the coyotes head and pull the trigger then it gets unload and place back in my pocket.

The Bryco 9mmL I had was turned into junk with 100 rounds My buddies didn't last any longer there is a very good reason they in and out of business companies making good firearms normally don't.

I well never buy one I have been given both of mine.

Any one can spend their money any way they want snob or not

As with any tool poor ones can get the job done but are more likely to fail you when really need it over better quality ones.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

While the same design not the same manufacturer. Bryson is not Jimenez Arms. I would have no problem buying another JA product. If it breaks they will fix it or replace it at their cost. If I break a firing pin, lose it, melt it down, swallow it, does not matter they will have one on the way one day mail to me at their expense. They will replace the gun even if I am shooting reloads, if my dog chews it up, if I leave it in the rain for years. NOT one of the major manufacturers outside of Hipoint has that kind of customer service.

As for as any snob they can go choke on it. I think it funny to watch them come unglued anytime there precious toys is made fun of. There usually will be one or two on here that can be counted on to come unglued. I will admit it, I pick on them for the entertainment.

One time the Colt Walker was known to blow up the cylinder with a full charge in the mid 19th century. A person would have to be an idiot to turn away a Colt this day and age at a good price. But then a Colt is not a Glock.

Firearms Iinstuctor

WW buy all of them you want I well not. Nor well I recommend them

If breaks when you really need it, could very will hurt.

But as you have fun jerking the snobs chain there are others that get their chained jerked as easily.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

The snobs spend a lifetime jerking people's chains, they are idiots. It is because of that I screw with them and give them a small taste of their own medicine to watch them choke on it. They are snobs because they do not have enough self esteem to make it through life without trashing others life's or possessions. It is a testimony to how weak and inadequate they are. Personally I believe they either suffer from LDS, or SMS.

Gil223

Not pointing to anyone in particular, but if the statement is offensive you might be a Glock Snob.
Not at all offensive... I just stated my personal experience with one particular Glock. For all I know, the one before or the one after it on the assembly line, may have each been objectively certifiable P.O.S., but I can only speak to that which I own. Pax... :)

1245A Defender

Well,,,

While the same design not the same manufacturer. Bryson is not Jimenez Arms. I would have no problem buying another JA product. If it breaks they will fix it or replace it at their cost. If I break a firing pin, lose it, melt it down, swallow it, does not matter they will have one on the way one day mail to me at their expense. They will replace the gun even if I am shooting reloads, if my dog chews it up, if I leave it in the rain for years. NOT one of the major manufacturers outside of Hipoint has that kind of customer service.

As for as any snob they can go choke on it. I think it funny to watch them come unglued anytime there precious toys is made fun of. There usually will be one or two on here that can be counted on to come unglued. I will admit it, I pick on them for the entertainment.

One time the Colt Walker was known to blow up the cylinder with a full charge in the mid 19th century. A person would have to be an idiot to turn away a Colt this day and age at a good price. But then a Colt is not a Glock.

Please take a moment out of your buzy posting day,,,
TELL the OP where he can contact Jimenez Arms to get some stuff from them!
He asks this,,, in the 1st post...

WalkingWolf

Please take a moment out of your buzy posting day,,,
TELL the OP where he can contact Jimenez Arms to get some stuff from them!
He asks this,,, in the 1st post...

All he has to do is call them.

http://jimenezarmsinc.com/contact.html

I called them for a sear and sear spring I lost, totally my fault. I had them free of charge by the next business day. But I am the original owner, most of their parts are not that expensive.

1245A Defender

Wow!!

I would have never guessed that parts for these old saturday night specials were available,, at all...

3 months ago I made a new sear for a Lorcin 380,,, it got lost...
then I bought the gun for 30$ just to add to my weird collection..
still haven't actually given it a full function test yet,,, but it does load, shoot, and eject...