• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about CCW/Open carry/storage in vehicle while in work parking garage

avengere

So I recently got a new job that has me in downtown Tacoma. The company I work for has a strict no firearms policy. I was also informed upon further questioning about our parking garages that I am not allow to posses a firearm in them either. Now my company does not own or operate the parking garages that I am assigned to park in they simply lease a portion of the total stalls. The garage is owned by a 3rd party. I'd like to know if there is an y laws or statures that protect my right to carry in such places as my parking garage. If it helps the garage is also half public as well. I'm not looking to rock the boat or anything in fact they would probably appreciate it if I informed them that something they have informed us is not actually correct. Any information would be very helpful.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Well, what they don't know won't hurt them. No laws prohibiting you, so as long as you don't tell anybody you are good legal wise. Just remember WA is one of those state where the employer doesn't have to give you a reason for being fired.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
So I recently got a new job that has me in downtown Tacoma. The company I work for has a strict no firearms policy. I was also informed upon further questioning about our parking garages that I am not allow to posses a firearm in them either. Now my company does not own or operate the parking garages that I am assigned to park in they simply lease a portion of the total stalls. The garage is owned by a 3rd party. I'd like to know if there is an y laws or statures that protect my right to carry in such places as my parking garage. If it helps the garage is also half public as well. I'm not looking to rock the boat or anything in fact they would probably appreciate it if I informed them that something they have informed us is not actually correct. Any information would be very helpful.

A business in Washington can terminate your employment for any reason that is not protected by law (or if you are not a member of a protected class, i.e. race, sex, etc)

There is NO LAW in Washington that protects your right to carry in your car from an employer.

In your employee handbook does it state that the company can or will inspect the inside of your car at any time without law enforcement/warrant present?

Do you use your vehicle for any business related activities? Are you an exempt employee?

I personally would not bring the subject up again, I would not park in their stalls and I would carry on my life as appropriate.

kparker

I personally would not bring the subject up again,

How many times can I second this?

NOTHING GOOD will come of you further engaging with your brand-new employer on this question. They already have an anti-gun policy (which presumably they didn't need to have) and already have an anti-storing-it-in-your-car policy (which they really really didn't need to have.) Do you seriously think they want to be straightened out on this by a new guy on the job?

kparker

I was also informed upon further questioning...

Whoa, missed that on my first reading. Major error on your part, now they know to scrutinize you...

Like I said, unless they're one of a very limited range of businesses, they do not NEED to have an anti-gun policy but they have gone out of their way TO DO SO. Shouldn't that set off all the alarms you need to have set off?

509rifas

Legally you have every right to, and legally they can fire you for it.
However, if they are the type of employer to search your car, i'd be seeking emplyment elsewhere unless its a really really good job.

Jeff Hayes

I would never consent to a search of my vehicle even if you have signed an employment agreement saying you will allow a search. You can change your mind any time you like.

Just let this drop unless you are a problem in the future or they are looking for a reason to fire you this should die if you let it. Remember they really don't need a reason to fire unless you are a member of a protected class of people and they are CYAing.

Tackleberry1

Since leaving the military 17 years ago... Every employer I've worked for had a "no weapons" in the workplace policy.

Companies do not care about employee safety, the only concern is shielding the company from liability should workplace violence occur.

Non of us are obligated to protect the company from liability at the cost of our person liberty or safety.

If you have a CCW, keep your mouth shut and "ignore" the policy. Their is no
Criminality in violation company policy so the only thing your risking is your job, which is insignificant compared to your life.

Tack