• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally a good video re: police encounter with OCer's

Maverick9

I don't know where this was taken so it may be moved to the proper regional section, but with all the police bashing threads, I figured this would be a good balance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1G1IscWi58

Don't know how old it is or whether it has been posted here yet, but thought it was a good share.

Since OC is not illegal, then there should BE no police encounters. This makes your argument void. Any encounter of an OCer who is not about to commit or who is not in the process of committing a crime should not be happening. If I were the LEO's superiors I would be putting them on a desk job if they did this. Why? Because they are NOT out there investigating actual crime avoiding doing what they are paid to do. While they are doing this actual crime is probably happening down the street.

Last edited:

teddyearp

I wasn't making an argument. I totally agree with you that OC is (or should be) legal everywhere. My point in posting this video was to show that for once it seemed as though it was handled very positively by a peace officer, not a LEO. I personally liked the reason(s) why he chose to be a deputy sheriff. That was one of the coolest parts of the video.

And sure, the police should not have to investigate LAC's. But it does happen. It's a fact. There will always be the sheeple who are skeered by the legal display of firearms by LAC's and who will waste the time of their local police/sheriff's office. However in this instance, it was not a LEO who responded, but a true peace officer.

That's all.

Last edited:

onus

I've spent more time with police than most people. I am one of their enemies.

They always have a designated officer who is supposed to play the nice guy/support your cause role and talk to you.

They want information. They want insight. They want all the things you shouldn't be giving them because in the end.....all they want is you locked in a cage.

Primus

Since OC is not illegal, then there should BE no police encounters. This makes your argument void. Any encounter of an OCer who is not about to commit or who is not in the process of committing a crime should not be happening. If I were the LEO's superiors I would be putting them on a desk job if they did this. Why? Because they are NOT out there investigating actual crime avoiding doing what they are paid to do. While they are doing this actual crime is probably happening down the street.

And that would just ferment more division. Police can and should be able to walk to anyone and say "hi how's your day going". In response citizens should able to and can say "am I being detained? No? Lata".

When you getting coffee or at a restraint have you ever talked to worker? How about a movie theater or ANY public place? Ever charged about the weather with a worker at a store your in as your in line getting checked out? Did you then demand they are punished because they weren't stocking a shelf or cleaning a table?

No.

Police are at work and should have great community relations with their area. If that was my beat, you bet I'd at least pull up or walk up and ask how they are how their day is and ask what they are doing. Not to interrogate, but to ask as if I was a citizen walking by. Then either they would refuse to talk to me and I'd wish them a good day and leave or wed stay and chat it up like normal people.

Does everyone see this "us vs. Them" thing? It sucks and it shouldnt be pushed by either side.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
NO encounters? So in your world, all LEOs should not interact at all with OCers at all???

About the nicest thing I can say is: "What a ludicrous notion!"

Tackleberry1

Unfortunately the LAC never know the officers intentions, which makes it advisable to simply refuse any conversation.

Would it be great if it was like Sheriff Andy in Mayberry, yep, that would be fantastic, but the reality is that the LEO can lie through his teeth with zero consequences while the LAC can be charged for the slightest untruth.

Tack

Tackleberry1

Unfortunately the LAC never know the officers intentions, which makes it advisable to simply refuse any conversation.

Would it be great if it was like Sheriff Andy in Mayberry, yep, that would be fantastic, but the reality is that the LEO can lie through his teeth with zero consequences while the LAC can be charged for the slightest untruth.

Tack

Primus

Tack

Its pretty to easy to tell what kind of officer he is. I would hope (and think I know) most of us gun guys are smart enough to realize when I guy walks up and says "hey guys how are you today?". That we can answer good sir how about yourself? Without ANY chance of getting locked up.

Now.. after that if it goes "why are you here? Or what kind of gun? Or what kind of permit? Or...." then be wary and shut up and say sorry sir rather not discuss it am I being detained? No? Ok hasta LA waygo!

Its prejudice and bias. Cops actually can and do get in trouble for that. Think stop and frisk.... so when I citizen sees a cop and immediately assumes he's evil and trying to convict him of rape... it causes problems. Just like when cops assume an ocer is crazy or evil because he openly has a gun on him.

There's a saying about two way streets....

Last edited:

Tackleberry1

I respect that... I'm not one of those guys who thinks all Cops are evil. I serve RSO duty bi monthly with several LEO's at our private gun club. They're good men who I've gotten to know quite well over the years...
However, that does not change reality, or my perspective.

Tack

Its pretty to easy to tell what kind of officer he is. I would hope (and think I know) most of us gun guys are smart enough to realize when I guy walks up and says "hey guys how are you today?". That we can answer good sir how about yourself? Without ANY chance of getting locked up.

Now.. after that if it goes "why are you here? Or what kind of gun? Or what kind of permit? Or...." then be wary and shut up and say sorry sir rather not discuss it am I being detained? No? Ok hasta LA waygo!

Its prejudice and bias. Cops actually can and do get in trouble for that. Think stop and frisk.... so when I citizen sees a cop and immediately assumes he's evil and trying to convict him of rape... it causes problems. Just like when cops assume an ocer is crazy or evil because he openly has a gun on him.

There's a saying about two way streets....

FTG-05

And that would just ferment more division. Police can and should be able to walk to anyone and say "hi how's your day going". In response citizens should able to and can say "am I being detained? No? Lata".

When you getting coffee or at a restraint have you ever talked to worker? How about a movie theater or ANY public place? Ever charged about the weather with a worker at a store your in as your in line getting checked out? Did you then demand they are punished because they weren't stocking a shelf or cleaning a table?

No.

Police are at work and should have great community relations with their area. If that was my beat, you bet I'd at least pull up or walk up and ask how they are how their day is and ask what they are doing. Not to interrogate, but to ask as if I was a citizen walking by. Then either they would refuse to talk to me and I'd wish them a good day and leave or wed stay and chat it up like normal people.

Does everyone see this "us vs. Them" thing? It sucks and it shouldnt be pushed by either side.

I often talk to and converse with various people while going about my day, convenience store clerk, waitress, so forth and so on. I do without any hesitation or fear.

The reason I choose do that is because none of them can take my life and/or liberty simply due to an egotistical whim. Something a police officer can and has done.

What's worse, is the "Thin Blue Line" will then defend and protect this same police officer, e.g. the Daniel/Canton cop.

You want an end to the "us vs. them"? Simple, get rid of the "Thin Blue Line", then we'll talk. Until then, I don't talk to cops.

Primus

I often talk to and converse with various people while going about my day, convenience store clerk, waitress, so forth and so on. I do without any hesitation or fear.

The reason I choose do that is because none of them can take my life and/or liberty simply due to an egotistical whim. Something a police officer can and has done.

What's worse, is the "Thin Blue Line" will then defend and protect this same police officer, e.g. the Daniel/Canton cop.

You want an end to the "us vs. them"? Simple, get rid of the "Thin Blue Line", then we'll talk. Until then, I don't talk to cops.

Honestly, only if you knew how thin that line really was. I've personally seen and heard some crazy stories about what officers do to each other and scramble to cya.

Everything from guys refusing to back each other up (female officer ended up in a fist fight got decked pretty bad because of this) to ratting each other out for dumb things (like officers taking photos of other officers ducking or sleeping somewhere on a slow night then showing said photos to supervisors). This doesn't include IA stuff where you get grilled.

This doesn't apply to every department and I certainly don't speak for even my department or any other officer, just relating some experiences. It maybe be different in smaller towns where there's only 3 or 4 officers as opposed to 3 or 4 hundred or 3 or 4 thousand (if LAPD or NYPD is that big?)

Maverick9

In uniform or on the town's dime, they're just like any other public servant and need to tend to their business. If they've time to chat then they need more work, maybe washing cars or sweeping streets, or fewer buddies. When we had one cop, he was stressed by his 24/7 responsibility balanced by comp-time, then we hired another.

THIS!!

If they're chatting up OC'ers they're missing the crime happening down the street. DON'T TALK TO COPS. If OC-ers were able to refuse ALL LEO interactions, what LEO would continue to try and talk to them?

There's always the threat of arrest for trumped up reasons. That's why people film interactions.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Cops are suppose to be the front line ambassadors for whatever political/municipal organization/corporation they are employed by.

After checking out the complaint the cop had a duty to contact the belligerent complainant and inform them that they need to know that such a complaint could be construed as a false report, especially when interfering with someones Constitutional rights.

Maverick9

Cops are suppose to be the front line ambassadors for whatever political/municipal organization/corporation they are employed by.

After checking out the complaint the cop had a duty to contact the belligerent complainant and inform them that they need to know that such a complaint could be construed as a false report, especially when interfering with someones Constitutional rights.

Except that SOME cops like to have a 'reason' to go 'talk to' a citizen (whom they know is doing nothing illegal), hoping to goad them. Some would see it as a way to get an easy arrest. Beats fighting actual crime.

stealthyeliminator

Its great that the officer seems to respect the rights of the individuals in the video. However, I believe that as a general rule of thumb it is best policy to not converse with the police even when they are being friendly. That doesn't mean be rude or disrespectful, there are plenty of ways to decline having a conversation politely. In the store analogy, for instance, many stores will ask for an email address almost as if it's required to complete check out. It is obviously perfectly acceptable to politely decline to provide the store employee with an email address

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Except that SOME cops like to have a 'reason' to go 'talk to' a citizen (whom they know is doing nothing illegal), hoping to goad them. Some would see it as a way to get an easy arrest. Beats fighting actual crime.
I don't disagree. People need to understand the cops are tax collectors for the state, collecting the tax civilly or criminally.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Its great that the officer seems to respect the rights of the individuals in the video. However, I believe that as a general rule of thumb it is best policy to not conversate with the police even when they are being friendly. That doesn't mean be rude or disrespectful, there are plenty of ways to decline having a conversation politely. In the store analogy, for instance, many stores will ask for an email address almost as if it's required to complete check out. It is obviously perfectly acceptable to politely decline to provide the store employee with an email address
When the store asks for personal info on a cash purchase I respond that I need their name, address and social security number. Like a deer in the headlights they ask why and I tell them so I can issue an IRS form 1099mis for their income taxes.

For some strange reason they don't want my info. It's funny how that works.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
When the store asks for personal info on a cash purchase I respond that I need their name, address and social security number. Like a deer in the headlights they ask why and I tell them so I can issue an IRS form 1099mis for their income taxes.

For some strange reason they don't want my info. It's funny how that works.

:)

I gotta remember that one!

Freedom1Man

THIS is why I don't like talking with/to police officers.