• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Under 21 Open Carry

trailkiller91

So I am brand new to the forum and have a few questions, Ive done plenty of research but would just like some clarification. Monday will be my first day legally open carrying as I will pick up my private purchase permit and I can make the gun my mother owns legally mine. Is it best to carry a copy of the permit and bill of sale in my car just in case I am questioned? Also while open carrying as far as I know my gun can be loaded, does that mean loaded with a round chambered? Also Im located in Moore County so if anyone on here carries there could you give me some personal experiences of county businesses, basically any businesses where you have had issues. Any other advice you can give is more than welcome, thanks in andvance

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

solus

salutations and welcome to open carry forum..

to enhance you learning you might peruse the NC Attorney's FAQ on firearms dtd Aug 13 (yes it is the latest and greatest - honest!) located here: http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/2013 NC Firearms Laws.pdf and since you mentioned vehicle take a look at section III.

Grape is correct you do not need papers to OC in the tarheel state, and the Pistol Purchase Permit from the local county sheriff is mandated by NC statutes 14-402, so i presume your caregiver is 'selling' you their firearm? or are they going to 'let you use it'? if it the former. then, while not mandated by statute, a suggestion is to do up a Bill of Sale, if it is the latter, then no PPP is required nor is a BoS.

here is the cite for the NC statutes w/excellent, but clunky search in right hand corner: http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/Site...g&cof=FORID:11&q=pistol+purchase+permit&sa=Go

my final suggestion is to take an NRA first steps or basic pistol course at your earliest convenience as you can never acquire enough education on firearms. i liken taking a course to have someone else teach you how to drive...you sure don't wish to pick up your caregiver's bad habits which will hang around for the rest of your life.

ipse

papa bear

welcome to the forum. there are lots of meet and greets in your area. be sure to check them out

look into GRNC. they are primarily a CC group but they can help some

come up to Mayberry sometime and i will buy you a pork chop sandwich

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO! :D

I have OC'd in Moore county without any problems. Even in the Best Buy where I have heard of incidents in other cities. You shouldn't have any problems in your county.

trailkiller91

Good to know, so far the past week while I was home I was only able to OC for a short time because I spent most of my days off at my old fire dept. where I used to work. They don't care about concealed carry but dont really want us to open carry because of the public views it could cause.

solus

Good to know, so far the past week while I was home I was only able to OC for a short time because I spent most of my days off at my old fire dept. where I used to work. They don't care about concealed carry but dont really want us to open carry because of the public views it could cause.

1. glad you are getting comfortable OC'g

2. understand your statement about it is your olde fire station but you are sending mixed messages...olde station means no longer organizationally associated with it but they don't want US makes it sound like you are still required to abide by their antiquated and i am sure unwritten perception and policies concerning open carry. if you are 'john q citizen' not an employee etc., visiting friends and the place is not marked for no firearms, then you are under no obligation or mandate to follow their silly policies! especially since, as you indicated they are comfortable w/CC educate them about OC!

3. You need to upgrade your level of social acquaintances to those who are more understanding about your needs for self protection while roaming the NC country side!

4. now you can move telling us about your OC'g adventures to the NC Open Carry thread.

ipse

Last edited: