Thread: Your SAT Scores Will Come Back to Haunt You. Schadenfreude, oh sweet justice!

Your SAT Scores Will Come Back to Haunt You. Schadenfreude, oh sweet justice!

"For recent college graduates with little work experience or other reference points for measuring their skills, standardized test scores could offer a barometer of their skill level. But for people with years — or even decades — in the workforce, being asked to relive those hours spent filling in little circles with a number two pencil can be jarring, to say the least. Most of the companies that use SAT or ACT scores in their hiring don’t use it as a make-or-break metric, but a low score could mean you’ll have to knock it out of the park with your other credentials and in interviews if you want a shot."

http://business.time.com/2014/02/28/...-to-haunt-you/

Here's an interesting interactive from WSJ

http://online.wsj.com/news/interacti...95220334268350 I scored 1351 in 1965

There go the MBA's working at McDonalds' McJobs! There is a reason for underemployment. I wonder how many Thugs Surveilling America have PhD's?
    Last edited by Nightmare; 03-02-2014 at 12:07 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional

"One of the biggest changes is that the extra penalty for wrong answers, which discouraged guessing, will be eliminated. And some vocabulary words will be replaced with words such as "synthesis" and "empirical" that are used more widely in classrooms and in work settings.

"By changing the exam's focus, we change the learning and work the SAT invites. Today, many students who are terrified they will be tested on lots of SAT words have one recourse: flashcards," Coleman said. "Every educator knows flashcards are not the best way to build real word knowledge, but when the SAT rolls around they become the royal road. Students stop reading and start flipping."

The essay will be changed in other ways, too. It will measure students' ability to analyze and explain how an author builds an argument, instead of measuring the coherence of the writing but not the quality or accuracy of the reasoning. It will be up to school districts and colleges the students apply to as to whether the essay will be required.

Instead of testing a wide range of math concepts, the new exam will focus on a few areas, like algebra, deemed most needed for college and life afterward. A calculator will be allowed only on certain math questions, instead of on the entire math portion.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/usandwo...248598541.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    I got ACT scores of 30 across the board ... my brothers did worse ... so I let them know occasionally....now my boy got 32's across the board ... oh boy....