• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

33 dead, 130 wounded in mass knifing in China

Virginian683

There is no word yet on whether the knives used were "assault" knives...

http://www.nbc26.tv/story/24859794/china-blames-separatists-for-knife-attack-33-dead

China blames separatists for knife attack; 33 dead

By DIDI TANG
Associated Press

KUNMING, China (AP) - More than 10 assailants slashed scores of people with knives at a train station in southern China, drawing police fire, in what authorities called a terrorist assault by ethnic separatists based in the far west, state media said Sunday. Thirty-three people were killed and 130 wounded.

Police fatally shot four of the assailants , arrested one and were searching for the others following the attack late Saturday at the Kunming train station in Yunnan province, the official Xinhua News Agency said. Witnesses described attackers dressed in black storming the train station and attacking people indiscriminately.

tcbrad98

In China, a knife is any single edged weapon. A sword is a double edged weapon. These definitions are irrespective of size, so the attackers could have used sabers with 3 foot blades and it would still be called a knife. I'm wondering if there is something lost in translation

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

Arin Morris

I think you're missing the point of the post. It doesn't matter if it was machetes, claymores or pocket knives. The question at hand isn't the translation.

mikeyb

Gee, who stopped the attacks? Armed police.

I thought mass murders didn't happen in places that banned the private ownership of guns?

Rusty Young Man

Gee, who stopped the attacks? Armed police.

I thought mass murders didn't happen in places that banned the private ownership of guns?

But at least they can say that the total number of deaths from violent crime and the number of violent crimes have decr.... uh oh.:eek: Guess not.

This is the only way anyone could ever arrive at the "gun deaths are decreasing" even if all violent crime is increasing because the predators now have leisure to choose whomever they so choose without fear of any sizable resistance.