• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does leaving magazines loaded weaken spring

stevebowhunts

Would like input on the age old question: does leaving magazines loaded for extended periods of time (years) weaken the springs. All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fallschirjmäger

Absolutely, positively ... let them rest. The same as you jack your car off the ground when you're not using it or disassemble the heads to let the valve springs, the springs of a magazine must be rested.

... or ...

No. As long as the spring is not worked past it's elastic limit, it can remain either compressed or extended for years upon years. If anything, it's the constant working, the compressions and extensions that weaken a spring.

I think this is just one of those myths that has just lingered on, perhaps because early springs were not exactly metallurgically advanced. Most were simple leaf springs, hand- or cottage-made.

This is just a forged and folded bit of metal
no1searspring.JPG

as is this:
SMLE_303_Platform_spring_002.jpg

I can easily imagine a stamped piece of sheet metal being used as a spring 'taking a set.' Aside from the 1911 do any other modern pistols make extensive use of flat metal springs?

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

It was a problem at one time its my belief that after WW2 springs have become better and it is no longer a problem.

I still unload mine every once in awhile more because I shoot with them then to relieve the tension on the springs.

Tackleberry1

In my experience, no, no noticeable reduction in spring strength.

I was able to test this a few year back. While going through some of my fathers things after his passing, I found a loaded 1911 magazine where Id left it after loading it for him 12 years earlier.

It chambered every round without a problem.

Springs wear out from use... Compression and expansion, not from being left compressed.

Tack

mikeyb

What was the last time you broke a valve spring? Properly stressed springs do not fatigue.

Well, in my racing experience, we never broke a valve spring because we changed them out when they were fatigued. We threw away our coil springs when they were fatigued, even if they were used for only a few races. That's why the professionals use RCS springs now. Steel fatigues. It just works on a longer timeframe than most people think about.

mobiushky

I've posted this before, but what the heck:

Metal springs weaken over time due to metal fatigue. Metal fatigue is the term we use to explain the microscopic cracks that develop in the crystalline structure of the metal. Those cracks are created by repetitive deformation of the metal. As the metal is deformed the cracks become worse. The more repeated the metal is deformed, the worse the cracks will get. Eventually the metal's ability to return to shape weakens. Unfortunately there is a lot of mythology in the firearms community about how metal fatigue works. Most of the mythology points to leaving metal springs compressed over long periods of time. Except that the function of metal fatigue requires repeated deformation. Once a metal spring is compressed it does not continue to form the fractures. The methodology of the fracturing requires compression followed by extension followed by compression etc, etc.

In other words, compressing a spring for long periods of time will have negligible affect on the structural integrity of the spring unless you hyper extend the spring past it's rebound point, which is called spring creep. What actually weakens springs is the constant action of compressing and then releasing the spring, compressing and releasing, etc, etc. This is called cyclic loading. When you load and unload a magazine you are introducing and exacerbating microscopic fractures. That's the only time when those fractures occur. Leaving a magazine loaded will have far less impact on metal fatigue than cycling the spring frequently. Fatigue is irreversible and cumulative. Once it's started, it will continue and accumulate over time as you compress and relax the spring.

This might help people interested in understand the mechanism of metal fatigue:

http://www.epi-eng.com/mechanical_engineering_basics/fatigue_in_metals.htm

http://larrylawson.net/fatigue.htm

If you're really a glutton for punishment you could read:

ASM Handbook Volume 19, Fatigue And Fracture

But generally only structural engineers read that kind of stuff.