• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting CA.

Sorcice

1st thing- I will be visiting CA in the next 2 months or so. With the 9th circuit ruling is there any chance of getting an out of state conceal lic/permit?

2nd thing- I plan to bring a few things with me when I visit as my family lives in the mountains and I'd like to do some shooting. Are the restrictions on mag size for purchases only or an outright ban? Don't need hassles from locals. Thanks for any info in advance!

mjones

1st thing- I will be visiting CA in the next 2 months or so. With the 9th circuit ruling is there any chance of getting an out of state conceal lic/permit?

2nd thing- I plan to bring a few things with me when I visit as my family lives in the mountains and I'd like to do some shooting. Are the restrictions on mag size for purchases only or an outright ban? Don't need hassles from locals. Thanks for any info in advance!

It is illegal to import magazines with a capacity greater then 10 rounds(LCM) (unless you previously possessed them within CA prior to 1/1/00) Simple possession is legal. It is illegal to sell, give, offer for sale, or to manufacture LCMs.

Technically there is a provision for a non-resident license to carry concealed if you have a place of business or employment within CA. Presumably that doesn't apply to you. If it does I'll elaborate.

Also, be sure not to import any so-called assault weapons (AW.) There are independent definitions for rifles, pistols and shotguns. The most-vetted determiner of AW status is to review the flowcharts located at www.calguns.net/calgunforum The flowcharts are available via links at the top of every forum page.

I'd give you citations for all of the above, but I'm a bit short on time. If you search my posts in the CA forum, you could also find the citations that way.

Last edited:

Sorcice

Well I'm a bit depressed now. Looks like not gonna bring anything but maybe my rem 700.
My Rock river gov model with standard 30 round mags and glock 17 both have magazines over the limit. I might bring my glock 26 though. By the way, how do all these goofy laws not sufficiently infringe enough to be struck down? This is just sad. I can buy just about anything I want short of full auto here in WI. All but pistols leave with me that day. Pistols 2 day.

Last edited:

Sorcice

I could have sworn as long as you bought it out of state you could bring it in. Just can't buy or sell it.

mjones

I could have sworn as long as you bought it out of state you could bring it in. Just can't buy or sell it.

All of this BS is slowly being litigated since Heller

Assuming you are referring to magazine, negative.

PC 32310.
(a) Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing January 1, 2000, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, buys, or receives any large-capacity magazine is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

(b) For purposes of this section, “manufacturing” includes both fabricating a magazine and assembling a magazine from a combination of parts, including, but not limited to, the body, spring, follower, and floor plate or end plate, to be a fully functioning large-capacity magazine.

PC 32420.
Section 32310 does not apply to the importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning to the state with the same large-capacity magazine.

So, the only general exception for out of staters is if you visited CA with those magazines prior to 1/1/00

Last edited:

Sorcice

So technically I could bring in my GI mags since they have no markings but my other mags that are newer would have to stay behind. That doesn't solve my telescoping stock or flash suppressor though. Sigh.

Last edited:

devildogdiesel0311

So technically I could bring in my GI mags since they have no markings but my other mags that are newer would have to stay behind. That doesn't solve my telescoping stock or flash suppressor though. Sigh.

This is no way in any shape legal advice but i travel back n forth from tx and mn back to cali. I always fly with at east 2 firearms. The CLEO in my area (San Bernadino) in writing has stated my weapons are fine to have in the state however!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only i can possess, transport, and fire my weapons, as soon as I let someone else use my weapons then its a crime. Ive been pulled over many times with my weapons in the vehicle ive never been cited. Been here 4yrs and 9mnths in 3 mnths ill never have to worry about it cause i am never coming back here again.

Out of state hunting permits are outrageous just so you know.

mjones

It doesn't matter if the magazines have markings on them or not - it matters whether or not you at least plausibly possessed them within CA prior to 1/1/00.

Long Guns with 'evil features' are often possible by installing some form of magazine lock - commonly known in CA as a 'bullet button.' On an AR pattern rifle changing the magazine release to a BB is a 2 minute job.

devildogdiesel0311

I just want to state unless you live in some really really really yuppie town usually no one GAF. Ive seen some pretty outrageous ar platforms shot around my area at local public land with targets everywhere and had law enforcement off duty there as well ive never once had anyone talk to me about my scar. I thinks all on where you live your not going to socal so you should be fine. I live in socal and never once ran across any problems....ever.

Grand Puba

Someone should try to answer your first question.
NO! you cannot get an out of state conceal lic/permit!
California will barely issue to residents.
They wont issue to non residents at all!

onus

NO

NO

NO

Do not bring any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. It is ILLEGAL to bring them into the state of California.

What part of IMPORT don't you understand ?

Last edited:

mjones

Do not bring any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. It is ILLEGAL to bring them into the state of California.

What part of IMPORT don't you understand ?

Often true, but not always true. See PC 32420. That is a very common exception to importation for allot of people.