• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non resident permit info

hovercat

I realize that this is an OC forum but I hope someone here can help with a non-resident permit question.
I was in WA last year, back home to TX for Christmas, then back for work in January. Total, I have more than the 120 days to get a WA non-resident license. Will the break mean that I must start over or is it 120 days in a certain time period? All other requirements are not a problem.

I am rarely home very long and when I am I have other things to do than go through the hoops to get a TX CHL. Prefer OC but many places do not allow it (TX) and I travel a lot.

Love the OC in WA. If you see a 50+ guy with an old Colt Police Positive revolver wandering around lost in Puyallup, that's me.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

You have been misinformed,, or uninformed,, or is it mallinformed?
I dont know what, who, how or where you came to know what you think you know,,, BUT!!!

ANYBODY!!! can go to a Police station, if you reside in that city,, OR a county sheriff, if you reside in that county..
orrr,,, If youre just visiting Washington,,, dont reside here,,, you can go apply ANYWHERE!!!
Fill out a form, present your fingers for prints, and give them about 57$

They must issue in 60 days, assuming you are not prohibited...
Then they will mail it to whatever address you use on the license...

Enjoy!!

mikeyb

I realize that this is an OC forum but I hope someone here can help with a non-resident permit question.
I was in WA last year, back home to TX for Christmas, then back for work in January. Total, I have more than the 120 days to get a WA non-resident license. Will the break mean that I must start over or is it 120 days in a certain time period? All other requirements are not a problem.

I am rarely home very long and when I am I have other things to do than go through the hoops to get a TX CHL. Prefer OC but many places do not allow it (TX) and I travel a lot.

Love the OC in WA. If you see a 50+ guy with an old Colt Police Positive revolver wandering around lost in Puyallup, that's me.

Must live in the state at least 90 days, according to: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070. This is to have the permit issued in the normal time. If you haven't lived here for 90 days, the state may take up to 60 days before issuing.

So go ahead and apply. You should get it in 60 days.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Washington State does NOT differentiate between a resident and non-resident license.

When you are here go to the nearest PD or Sheriff's office. I suggest some place that doesn't use an appointment system.

mikeyb

A non-resident license does not require any residency - otherwise it would not be a non-resident license, so I am not sure what this 120 days is that are being questioned?

The vocabulary bandied about is wrong. Washington has two permits: Washington CPL and the Alien CPL. There is no Non-Resident Permit.

WA State "residents" must be "resident" for 90 consecutive days.
Applicants whom have resided for fewer than 90 consecutive days will have a maximum 60-day waiting period.
Alien CPL- Same hoops, shorter license period- 2 years.

It would prove beneficial to the OP if those that knew of any offices that did same-day or mailed CPLs.

To my knowledge, Snohomish County does not mail (as of 2006). City of Snohomish requires appointments. City of Bothell does not mail; schedule appt. and wait 2 weeks.

Grim_Night

The vocabulary bandied about is wrong. Washington has two permits: Washington CPL and the Alien CPL. There is no Non-Resident Permit.

WA State "residents" must be "resident" for 90 consecutive days.
Applicants whom have resided for fewer than 90 consecutive days will have a maximum 60-day waiting period.
Alien CPL- Same hoops, shorter license period- 2 years.

It would prove beneficial to the OP if those that knew of any offices that did same-day or mailed CPLs.

To my knowledge, Snohomish County does not mail (as of 2006). City of Snohomish requires appointments. City of Bothell does not mail; schedule appt. and wait 2 weeks.

Kitsap county has a history of actually giving out their CPLs same day especially if you go to the sheriff's office in port orchard. have heard some tell of it being as low as 45 minutes from application submission to CPL in hand. Only wish that residents can go anywhere in the state to apply instead of being required to do so in the county in which they reside. Pierce County has only 1 location at which one can apply.

Grand Puba

Kitsap county has a history of actually giving out their CPLs same day especially if you go to the sheriff's office in port orchard. have heard some tell of it being as low as 45 minutes from application submission to CPL in hand. Only wish that residents can go anywhere in the state to apply instead of being required to do so in the county in which they reside. Pierce County has only 1 location at which one can apply.

I will second this. ^^^^

Also the Silverdale office of Kitsap county sheriff has a history of "on the spot" issue, even to out of staters