Thread: KBC’s “Second Amendment Celebration” at Paducah gun giveaway to lure unchurched men.

KBC’s “Second Amendment Celebration” at Paducah gun giveaway to lure unchurched men.

The Kentucky Baptist Convention is trying to bring “unchurched men” to Christ through free gun giveaways, its evangelical director said.

As many as 1,000 people are expected to show up at KBC’s “Second Amendment Celebration” at Paducah’s Lone Oak Baptist Church on Thursday, where attendees will be entered into a raffle to win one of 25 guns,

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...giveaways-lur/

Nancy Jo Kemper, pastor of New Union Church in Versailles and the former director of the Kentucky Council of Churches, said: “Churches should not be encouraging people in their communities to arm themselves against their neighbors, but to love their neighbors, as instructed by Jesus.”

“Second Amendment Celebrations” in church make a “travesty” of that message, she said, adding, “How terrible it would be if one of those guns given away at a church were to cause the death of an innocent victim.” http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...nclick_check=1
    Last edited by Nightmare; 03-04-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I wish they had something like that in this neck of the woods.
    I am not a lawyer, I study the history of gun control laws.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...giveaways-lur/[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Rev. Joe Phelps of Louisville’s Highland Baptist Church said the event goes against Christ’s teachings.
    “How ironic to use guns to lure men in to hear a message about Jesus, who said, ‘Put away the sword,’” he said.
    Nancy Jo Kemper, pastor of New Union Church in Versailles, Ky., and former director of the Kentucky Council of Churches, said: “Churches should not be encouraging people in their communities to arm themselves against their neighbors, but to love their neighbors, as instructed by Jesus.”
    “How terrible it would be if one of those guns given away at a church were to cause the death of an innocent victim,” she told the newspaper.
    Seems these two pastors forgot what Jesus HIMSELF told his disciples (in Luke ch. 22):
    "35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.

36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

In today's (still proper) English, it may be something like:
    35-ish And then he told them, "When I sent you without spending money, an ALICE pack, and good walking shoes, did you ever need anything else?" And they answered "No".

36-ish Then he told them, "But now, if you have your own spending money, carry it with you, and the same goes for an ALICE pack: and whoever doesn't have a [insert military-grade sidearm of the day], sell your [item that serves as a sleeping place, protection from the elements, and a mobile shelter; HINT: pretty expensive] and buy a [insert military-grade sidearm of the day]."

The military-grade sidearm of today may be any of the following (not a comprehensive list):
    CZ SP-01, 9mm, 19 rounds STANDARD capacity
    SIG Sauer P226, 9 mm, 15-18 rounds STANDARD capacity
    FNX 45 Tactical, .45 ACP, 15 rounds STANDARD capacity
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 03-04-2014 at 07:21 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke