• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RANT: Idiots in my engineering class.... don't know SH!T about guns.

MatieA

Rather than employing engineers to make 'armor' look at the big picture.

Target denial:
Reinforce entry denial into schools by unauthorized people;
Create a number of 'safe rooms' or perhaps a safe closet inside of classrooms
Allow kids to carry locator chips and/or cell phones that can dial 911 and the school office
Have affordable resistant items, backpacks, briefcases, coats with bullet resistant features. These could be distributed in classrooms with teacher access to armor up the students in the event of an incursion and inability to get into the safe rooms.

Use features already in existence. Guarded access into parking lots, better use of locked access and lockdown capability.

Kids are not going to wear helmets, so don't waste time building things they won't use.

So your solution is to turn the schools into prisons. Aren't most school buildings de-moralizing enough already?
I can't stand going to my daughters school and having to get "buzzed" in. I will never allow my daughter to wear an "issued" locator device. And if I had to pass a gate-guard's scrutiny to get into the parking lot, you can bet I'd start home-schooling.

Contrarian

Engineering

Primus:

"Its still a place of education. Whether the students are 60 or 6.. the intent is the same."

True, but the over 21 crowd may stand a chance of defending themselves...

As to the helmet - any idea what the finished weight might be? I suspect that a product of this nature would sit in the corner forever.

Rusty Young Man

Rather than employing engineers to make 'armor' look at the big picture.

Target denial:
Reinforce entry denial into schools by unauthorized people;
Create a number of 'safe rooms' or perhaps a safe closet inside of classrooms
Allow kids to carry locator chips and/or cell phones that can dial 911 and the school office
Have affordable resistant items, backpacks, briefcases, coats with bullet resistant features. These could be distributed in classrooms with teacher access to armor up the students in the event of an incursion and inability to get into the safe rooms.

Use features already in existence. Guarded access into parking lots, better use of locked access and lockdown capability.

Kids are not going to wear helmets, so don't waste time building things they won't use.

So your solution is to turn the schools into prisons. Aren't most school buildings de-moralizing enough already?
I can't stand going to my daughters school and having to get "buzzed" in. I will never allow my daughter to wear an "issued" locator device. And if I had to pass a gate-guard's scrutiny to get into the parking lot, you can bet I'd start home-schooling.

I read that to mean "fortress" instead of "prison"; the former is meant as a compound that would deny internal access to an aggressor while the latter is meant to contain the aggressor and deny them exit.

Rusty Young Man

Primus:

"Its still a place of education. Whether the students are 60 or 6.. the intent is the same."

True, but the over 21 crowd may stand a chance of defending themselves...

As to the helmet - any idea what the finished weight might be? I suspect that a product of this nature would sit in the corner forever.

How much do Kevlar or Dragon Skin (not the myth or mithril type) vests weigh? Divide that weight by half, add helmet straps, and presto! Instant top-heavy group of grade-schoolers with serious neck injuries.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Engineers understand graphs. Build a simple pie chart depicting the number of school shootings in a year and the number of earthquakes in a year.

Or better yet, use mine! Just print some copies and hand it to them.

Then, tell them to suck eggs, grow brains, and stop believing everything they hear. Tell them they might want to check FACTS once in a while. If they don't, they won't be allowed to be engineers. Bridges and airplanes aren't built on the basis of erroneous perception. They're built on FACT.

Key:

Blue: Annual Earthquakes ONLY of 6.0 and above on the Richter Scale (capable of damaging structures)

Red: Annual School Shootings

Earthquakes vs School Shootings.jpg

Sources (so both you and they can confirm the numbers):

School Shootings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Earthquakes: U.S. Geological Survey: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/eqstats.php

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

How much do Kevlar or Dragon Skin (not the myth or mithril type) vests weigh? Divide that weight by half, add helmet straps, and presto! Instant top-heavy group of grade-schoolers with serious neck injuries.

She didn't even know what the stuff was called but I know she meant, "shear thickening fluid," and a think layer of kevlar.

stealthyeliminator

Tell them to engineer a self defense tool that is as effective as a handgun but that has none of the controversial characteristics of a handgun. They'll never get past scribbling on naptkins.

To more directly address the op... If they think they're the first ones to think of Kevlar binders they are fracking idiots.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Why wait?? Schools are dehumanizing on an industrial scale. Home school asap. :)

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Tell them to engineer a self defense tool that is as effective as a handgun but that has none of the controversial characteristics of a handgun. They'll never get past scribbling on naptkins.

To more directly address the op... If they think they're the first ones to think of Kevlar binders they are fracking idiots.

In my opinion, that person is an idiot. I would not want to be anywhere near a product she either designed or helped design for the first 2 years of it being released and being tested on the public.

kcgunfan

I do not have a patent but O have several friends that do. They all know their patent numbers by heart. I guess David had accomplished so much this trivia escaped him.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JustaShooter

I do not have a patent but O have several friends that do. They all know their patent numbers by heart. I guess David had accomplished so much this trivia escaped him.

Yeah, I call BS. Even if you don't know them by heart, you can easily get them. Having even one patent is a significant accomplishment and involves a lot of work - to have as many as he claims is an amazing achievement. And since he has already posted his name in open forum, it's not like it would be giving anything away to post the patent numbers. Unless, of course, he can't because they don't exist anywhere other than his imagination.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yeah, you'd kinda think someone who had patented something would either have a piece of paper laying around or maybe even a check or three from all the licenses from the patent.

Heavens no....I'm an inventor ... and I don't do that; I know of few that do.

A check? I was working for a company...I got $10 ... for each patent I ever got. They used to not give inventors anything .... but that ran into problems in court.

Those who know little about the patent world....a learning experience here.