Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: What Fairfax is getting for LEO's is disturbing

  1. #1
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    What Fairfax is getting for LEO's is disturbing

    Was listening to a talk radio show early this morning. Cuccinelli was one of the subjects. He spoke about how some of Virginia's gun laws turn law-abiding citizens into criminals and used the example of our member in Henrico County who moved a gun from his glove box and was seen by a school bus driver doing this resulting in a brandishing charge. Cuccinelli thought this was way beyond the scope and spirit of the law.

    So a call was taken from someone who happened to live in Woodbridge and was a Fairfax LEO. He said that a lot of people applying for LEO positions in that county were from up north and brought their northern ideas about firearms with them to Virginia. This was a very real concern to this caller LEO who added that this new officers didn't like the idea of citizens going armed and didn't know anything about open carry. This could be a disaster waiting to happen. One would think that the academy would recognize this and take the needed steps to educate these new recruits in the ways of Virginia. Perhaps they do but it winds up going in one ear and out the other.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  2. #2
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    It is on the cop shop to make sure its employees are "up on the law."

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892
    SNIP

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    So a call was taken from someone who happened to live in Woodbridge and was a Fairfax LEO. He said that a lot of people applying for LEO positions in that county were from up north .
    I have noticed that trend in public safety. My organization which is sworn, BUT NOT LEO has had a recent history of hiring outside of Virginia and specifically up north, another organization that I am vaguely familiar with has been doing the same thing. Maybe a little off-topic, but all I am saying is there is something to be said about public safety hiring northerners to fill their ranks. Not to bash people from up north, because many want to escape; more power to em'.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  4. #4
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    SNIP



    I have noticed that trend in public safety. My organization which is sworn, BUT NOT LEO has had a recent history of hiring outside of Virginia and specifically up north, another organization that I am vaguely familiar with has been doing the same thing. Maybe a little off-topic, but all I am saying is there is something to be said about public safety hiring northerners to fill their ranks. Not to bash people from up north, because many want to escape; more power to em'.
    Yeah, it was the Fairfax officer who was concerned that LEO's from up north would not understand nor care for our Virginia gun culture. He saw problems festering with this.

    I might add that the caller LEO was very pro armed citizen.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 03-05-2014 at 07:23 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Fairfax county
    Posts
    17
    I have noticed this a bit and talked about it with some older, more experienced officers including a captain. He said " some of these kids just don't listen and are out there thinking the know what they are doing when they don't."

    Recently I talked with a female officer at a pizza joint. We were talking guns a bit , ( Glock v sig etc )and she admitted that sometimes she catches herself praying that her back up or secondary doesn't get there before the call ends. She said some of these guys can take a simple matter that can conclude in 2 minutes and turn it into something they are still dealing with months latter in an internal review.


    That's the key folks, when your RIGHTS are violated at a minimum file a formal complaint against the officer. If your constitutional Rights are violated litigate it and EVERY TIME . We must be known for both. Don't be afraid of the process, I have successfully sued a police department and I have gone the formal complaint route. Litigation gets the job done, a formal complaint sometimes is just giving them more information to craft an excuse for their officer. Every time you have an incident file a demand for information under FOIA and send a letter of intent to sue to the city, county etc. The latter must be done within six months of the incident to preserve your right for judicial review of the matter.
    Last edited by 92fan; 03-16-2014 at 05:31 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member cirrusly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    331
    If these speculations about their hiring practices and anti/uninformed new recruits it's very unfortunate. One thing I've noticed about Virginia (only lived here a little over 2 years now) is OC is respected by all LE departments and jurisdictions.
    For instance, in Pennsylvania we too often read of OC detainments and worse in the democrat stronghold- Philly. Conversely, here in NoVA it's also very liberal, however the LEOs are still very respectful and cordial towards OC. It would be a shame to see the respect for OC to decline due to recruits lacking respect for 2A.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    If these speculations about their hiring practices and anti/uninformed new recruits it's very unfortunate. One thing I've noticed about Virginia (only lived here a little over 2 years now) is OC is respected by all LE departments and jurisdictions.
    For instance, in Pennsylvania we too often read of OC detainments and worse in the democrat stronghold- Philly. Conversely, here in NoVA it's also very liberal, however the LEOs are still very respectful and cordial towards OC. It would be a shame to see the respect for OC to decline due to recruits lacking respect for 2A.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm of the opinion that the only way to preserve that attitude is to exercise it regularly.

  8. #8
    Regular Member cirrusly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsy Simon View Post
    I'm of the opinion that the only way to preserve that attitude is to exercise it regularly.
    +1 So true. "A right unexercised is a right lost." I do so fairly regularly in NoVA, it's a difficult area geography wise though in regards to OC. I'm usually driving I-66 or the beltway, or metroin into DC so it's no dice.

    But... if I'm going down Jefferson Davis Hwy or Old Town, it's OC all the way!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    If these speculations about their hiring practices and anti/uninformed new recruits it's very unfortunate. One thing I've noticed about Virginia (only lived here a little over 2 years now) is OC is respected by all LE departments and jurisdictions.
    For instance, in Pennsylvania we too often read of OC detainments and worse in the democrat stronghold- Philly. Conversely, here in NoVA it's also very liberal, however the LEOs are still very respectful and cordial towards OC. It would be a shame to see the respect for OC to decline due to recruits lacking respect for 2A.
    The difference is that NoVa, and Alexandria in particular, began to be colonized for the specific purpose of transforming the local culture in the late 1950's, and following that success there has been a resultant elevation of non-Virginians to influential positions throughout state government. Alexandria was a small, Southern town, and a longtime bastion of Masonic domination. Then a guy named, "Nicholas Colosanto" ran for city council, and the rest is history.

    Such people are not subject to the civil authority and laws the way typical Virginians think of it - they answer to a higher authority with its own traditional culture. The more people come here to colonize Virginia, the more they bring that culture with them and supplant the local culture. That is its purpose, and that is why such people are being recruited to fill positions of authority. Virginians see their law as law, but the "culturally different" see it as "sorta like guidelines". Their own traditional culture is more important to them, and more controlling, than what we typically think of as "law". This attitude is exemplified by our current Chicago-machine politician in the White House who has declared that the Constitution of the U.S. is not the "supreme law of the land", but an historical artifact. It's not that these people see themselves as "above the law", but as servants of a culture that has its roots in the Roman Empire which they do see as having transcendant authority.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  10. #10
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Well put user and quite true. I have lived here all my life and have seen these changes take place and take root. I grew up in the city of Falls Church, went through city schools, saw the changes take place. There are a number of factors involved in how all of this happened but in a nut shell, what was once a revered and honorable way of life is lost forever.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  11. #11
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    Quote Originally Posted by 92fan View Post
    I have noticed this a bit and talked about it with some older, more experienced officers including a captain. He said " some of these kids just don't listen and are out there thinking the know what they are doing when they don't."

    Recently I talked with a female officer at a pizza joint. We were talking guns a bit , ( Glock v sig etc )and she admitted that sometimes she catches herself praying that her back up or secondary doesn't get there before the call ends. She said some of these guys can take a simple matter that can conclude in 2 minutes and turn it into something they are still dealing with months latter in an internal review.
    The singular point to be made.....what would that cop do if she is the second on the scene and sees the makings of a months long internal review? What would she do to prevent the potential months long internal review.

    Time and again it has been shown that the pro 2A cop stands idly by and does nothing to stop obvious abuses of authority and violations of the law. There is a active thread where a citizen is "free to go" by one cop until a sergeant arrives and then all hell breaks loose.

    Will cops mitigate potential problems? Not very likely.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    There is a active thread where a citizen is "free to go" by one cop until a sergeant arrives and then all hell breaks loose.
    Link please?

    Thanks!

  13. #13
    Regular Member half_life1052's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    271

    Close to home for me now


  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by half_life1052 View Post
    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •