• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backyard Target Shooting

Esanders2008

I think I might be missing something here. According to the Chesapeake City code, as long as you live south of the border defined, you can legally target shoot in your back yard?

https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10529

My wife says she knew a girl a court over from her that shot .22 with her dad in their back yard. This would have been in the Etheridge Lakes neighborhood. If someone could confirm this, I'd appreciate it!

Armed

No problems here....

I live south of the "line", near Fentress. We have the smallest lot in the neighborhood, 4 acres. Neighbors all around me target practice all the time, especially as hunting season approaches. Some of the neighbors also keep hunting dogs. We've been here for 2 years and it doesn't seem to be a problem. I am not aware of anyone being hassled for shooting in their own backyard.

ChristCrusader

what about this?
Sec. 46-42. Discharging firearms.

(b)It shall be permissible to discharge firearms, etc., outside the area described in subsection (a) of this section

(c)Any discharge of firearms on any land or water enumerated in subsections (a) or (b) of this section shall be further subject to the provisions that it is unlawful to discharge any firearm, spring-propelled rifle or pistol, or air-propelled rifle or pistol from, on, across or within 150 yards of any building, dwelling, street, sidewalk, alley, roadway or public land or public place within the city limits.

depending on if it's,

->"150 yards of any building, dwelling, street, sidewalk, alley, roadway or public land" or "public place within the city limits"
-> or, "150 yards of any building, dwelling, street, sidewalk, alley, roadway" or "public land" or "public place within the city limits."
->or if it's all places listed if they're within city limits.
If it's within 150 yards of all those places when they're within city limits, I don't know why they just didn't say no shooting within city limits, but I'm not familiar with the geography there.
I'm just prone to grammatically stumbling in long lists with commas, ors, and ands with a few qualifiers thrown in.
I could keep up with shall not be infringed though. Wish we could just use that, for crying out loud.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Population density is waaay to great to safely target shoot in that area IMO and it does not appear to be legal.

The Wolfhound

Is this a failure to observe preemption?

what about this?
Sec. 46-42. Discharging firearms.

(c)Any discharge of firearms on any land or water enumerated in subsections (a) or (b) of this section shall be further subject to the provisions that it is unlawful to discharge any firearm, spring-propelled rifle or pistol, or air-propelled rifle or pistol from, on, across or within 150 yards of any building, dwelling, street, sidewalk, alley, roadway or public land or public place within the city limits.

depending on if it's,

->"150 yards of any building, dwelling, street, sidewalk, alley, roadway or public land" or "public place within the city limits"
-> or, "150 yards of any building, dwelling, street, sidewalk, alley, roadway" or "public land" or "public place within the city limits."
->or if it's all places listed if they're within city limits.
If it's within 150 yards of all those places when they're within city limits, I don't know why they just didn't say no shooting within city limits, but I'm not familiar with the geography there.
I'm just prone to grammatically stumbling in long lists with commas, ors, and ands with a few qualifiers thrown in.
I could keep up with shall not be infringed though. Wish we could just use that, for crying out loud.
Looks to me like Chesapeake needs a push.

TFred

Is this a failure to observe preemption?
Looks to me like Chesapeake needs a push.
No. 15.2-915.4 does not cover spring fired guns, and they added Paragraph H to cover the requirements added in 2011:

(h) Notwithstanding any other provision in this section, it shall be permissible to discharge pneumatic guns (air-propelled rifles and pistols) at facilities approved for shooting ranges, on other property where firearms may be lawfully discharged, or on or within private property with permission of the owner or legal possessor thereof when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property in accordance with Virginia Code § 15.2-915.4.B.​

TFred

Last edited: