• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo shortage

Holliday

Is the ammo shortage finally over? I've noticed that most of the local stores have a full range available. I'm just curious, what happened to make it go in such short supply anyhow?:confused:

beebobby

When Midway USA is out of .22lr (except for high end target ammo), something ain't right.

mobiushky

Just food for thought. If anyone like comm-bloc ammo, most of that stuff is made in the Ukraine or Russia. Stuff like Tula, Wolf, Brown Bear, Red Army Standard, and on and on...

There are sketchy reports that Russia has stopped all ammo exports to the US due to the icy relationship now over the Ukraine. And there are threats that Obama could block them anyway. Nothing solid mind you.

http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-could-cut-russian-ammo-imports-as-response-to-ukraine-crisis

Anyway, I'm not trying to spark another panic buy. If you're smart, you already have plenty. If you like steel case, you might have to go another route until the heat calms over there. Some of the blogs I've read are saying this is a good thing because it will spark US manufacturers to sell/make more. At the least it will just cost more.

solus

toddled through the three local Walmarts in the Goldsboro nc area and have each of them had at least a dozen 100 rd boxes of 9m at $24.

several of the local gun shops are happy selling a box of 100 CCI for 22lr for $22/box. their really proud of those...i will suffer a while longer...

ipse

WalkingWolf

Ammo is freeing up but the damage is done, the price of even Walmart ammo is above where we used to be. I can remember when I could buy 9X18 for 6 dollars a box. Now ammo costs more for 20 rounds than it did 50 years before. Reloading components have gone up also, and there is still shortage of powders.

Solus they will kill the sale of 22 firearms. When reloading supplies become more available it is cheaper to reload than buy 22. And centerfire is more reliable than 22 rimfire.

Last edited:

Bernymac

Ammo is freeing up but the damage is done, the price of even Walmart ammo is above where we used to be. I can remember when I could buy 9X18 for 6 dollars a box. Now ammo costs more for 20 rounds than it did 50 years before. Reloading components have gone up also, and there is still shortage of powders.

Solus they will kill the sale of 22 firearms. When reloading supplies become more available it is cheaper to reload than buy 22. And centerfire is more reliable than 22 rimfire.

Yikes! How old are you??? :shocker:

Gallowmere

When Midway USA is out of .22lr (except for high end target ammo), something ain't right.

Midway seems to be out of damn near everything these days. Even their shotgun shell selection is like a bad joke. bulkammo seems to be fairing a bit better, and even my local gun stores have more el cheapo bullets for flinging downrange than midway. Then again, I have never had any need, nor desire to buy 22LR, so that could be helping me a bit. If it's not at least 9mm, it's not worth my money. ;)

papa bear

the video media acts like .22 is still the cheapest and easiest ammo.may be if you can find it

I am still not convinced there isn't some subvert reasons it is scarce

the demand is high there should have been an uptick in manufacturers producing

Gallowmere

the video media acts like .22 is still the cheapest and easiest ammo.may be if you can find it

I am still not convinced there isn't some subvert reasons it is scarce

the demand is high there should have been an uptick in manufacturers producing

There has been an uptick, at least from Hornady, from my understanding. After talking to the owner of a local store, and watching some vids from Steve himself, they are just backlogged all to hell. "Two years behind" is the last exact quote that I heard, and that's even running 12 hour shifts, six days per week. The old man said "I just don't have the heart to make them work on Sundays too". Unfortunately, upscaling manufacture isn't something that can be done overnight either, even with today's relatively rapid building processes.

Gallowmere

I feel like I have enough of all the calibers I have guns for, But
I do wish I could get a brick of 22lr.

I think the 22lr problem is caused by hoarders and resellers.

It is my understanding that the 22LR shortage has actually been caused by a large influx of new and returning shooters over the last few years (hell, I'm one of them). Compared to anything other than air guns, 22LR is ridiculously cost effective for the purpose of basic marksmanship training, plinking, etc., not to mention the fact that it is very newbie friendly in the recoil and noise department. If people were actually worried about stockpiling to overcome legislation (as believed by at least one person here), 22LR would likely be the last thing they'd be hoarding. I'd expect much more of that to occur in things such as 5.56, .50 BMG, .308, and other such calibers popular in guns high on the list of things that the gubmint swears that "you don't need".

Then again, I've seen plenty of "assault rifles" chambered in 22LR. :lol::lol:

WalkingWolf

Anybody wonder why these shortages are not prompting/creating new business. Ohhh wait Obamacare, who would open a business and have to deal with so many regulations, as well as being forced to pay ridiculous health care prices.

Any other time in history industry would be booming with demand, not under Obama though.

Gallowmere

Anybody wonder why these shortages are not prompting/creating new business. Ohhh wait Obamacare, who would open a business and have to deal with so many regulations, as well as being forced to pay ridiculous health care prices.

Any other time in history industry would be booming with demand, not under Obama though.

Now would still be a great time for it, since the PPACA had a nearly zero impact on VERY small businesses. 49 people can make a LOT of ammunition in a work day, assuming ten of them also work managing the supply line, and at least one is capable of servicing/repairing the assembly equipment. I think it's more the massive lean against firearms in general that's been going on for the last two decades that has prevented any real upstart manufacturing. It looks like a great investment, but it also (on it's face) carries a bunch of uncertainty. Few people start businesses with the expectation that their clientele could be cut by 75% on the whims of a few career politicians.